Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Broadway Limited USRA Light 2-8-2
I see that BLI are producing a light 2-8-2, as well as the heavy they already do. Those of us who like modern steam, and/or USRA power, are being spoiled for choice - not that I'm complaining! :-) Has...
18
18

NWSL Riveter on a drill press?
I'm semi-interested in doing some riveting in brass or styrene, and have been eyeballing the SensiPress with the Riveting Table attachment and dies. I can't quite see spending $100+ for the package,...
10
10

Substitute for Homasote?
Can not get it here..can you use 2x4 ceiling panels? Mark, I would seriously recommend against using any kind of ceiling tile. They are quite absorbant and warpage would be beyond control. Give me a...
29
29

Mach 2 German armoured train kit
Has anyone done a review of this kit? I have built Mach 2 stuff before, and cleaning up the flash can be a nightmare. Incidentally, considering that some of these kits make 1960's Airfix look truly...
2
2

Lionel 2023 locomotive servicing question (loose E-unit lever)
Hi, all. I have a 2023 locomotive that has some problems. I fixed a number of loose wires, but it now just runs a few feet and then stops. I have to push the Direction button on the ole KW transformer...
1
1

Advice Needed
I am contemplating buying a BMI sound steam locomotive. Other than the advertising claims, and MR's accolades (they always give them), I have not seen any real info on the quality of these models. Can...
2
2

Is Holgate & Reynolds still around?
Does anyone know if H&R is still around and if they're still making that styrene, embossed brick material? -Gerry Leone Most of their dies were stolen by a crack addict who tossed them on the side of...
8
8

[HO] Accurail prototypes
Here's a list of Accurail models and their corresponding prototypes (if any) that I am aware of. Can you help fill in the blanks? #2000 ACF 3-Bay Hopper Burlington Northern cars built in 1982. (4600...
1
1

Louisville & Wadley Railroad
Does anyone have ANY information about the Louisville and Wadley Railroad in Georgia. It basically served the textile industry in Louisville connecting to the Central of Georgia in Wadley. Thanks in...
5
5

Homasote, suggest you seal it.
Hello, Homasote is a good product, however the last couple of pieces (purchased at two different stores) had a strong odor....so bad that my wife requested that either the Homasote goes or she goes....
4
4

Re: MRC DCC Sound Decoders
Read the review on the TTX site. Basically it boils down to you get what you pay for. If you need sound and you only have 40 bucks then they will do (otherwise save your money). I did hear they had...
4
4

postage stamp trains
howdy.... I've just come into possession of an Aurora postage stamp train, no 4801 "fast freight" could someone direct me to a website that might be able to give me more info on it? all the pieces...
4
4

drilling plexiglass
If you plan to use actual Plexiglas, you might want to consider Lexan. Lexan is easier to work, doesn't yellow and doesn't scratch as easily. I haven't seen it mentioned yet but most industrial...
19
19

Atlas Granite Gorge and Northern
Has anyone built this layout, It looks to suit my plans very well. It is in the biik Six HO Layouts You Can Build, an older version, I think the book is now Seven, and is on the Atlas Web Page. I plan...
3
3

Painting Fleet of Modernism cars
I'm attempting to paint a set of cars for the 1939 Broadway Limited (HO) but can't find any ready made decals. Does anyone have any tips for painting or decaling the gold circle band around the...
1
1

staining / dyeing polyfil
Hello all, I have a simple question that I hope can get answered here. I was wondering if there was anyone who knows how to stain or dye poly-fil material. I saw a huge package of it at the craft...
4
4

Miniature oiler from Harbor Freight
So I made a pilgrimage to the place where (practically) all the tools and stuff come from China and are cheap, and ran across a miniature lubrication pen that looked good, at only two bucks. Got it...
4
4

Templates for planning Kato UNITRACK?
I would like to plan a small layout using Kato Unitrack. It would be a big help if there was a set of templates available for the various track pieces. These can be copied and shuffled around to see...
14
14

Bachmann EZ Track Question
Have a couple of simple questions regarding Bachmann EZ Track. Although I have a lot of older (1970s vintage HO rolling stock), I am switching to N scale because I can get more railroad in the space I...
10
10

"Rudley's" Super O Track Layouts
"Rudley's Track Layouts for Lionel Super 0" is a 24 page booklet put together by Joe Rudley in 1962. Joe was a Lionel dealer of note and also owner of the Sarasota Seashell and Train Museum in...
1
1