Best Rated threads in Model Railroad Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Removing Accurail lettering
Any advice on a materials or methods specific for removing lettering from Accurail freight cars? I'd like to remove black road numbers and preserve the painted gray sides of the reefer body.
6
6

Shorty Passenger Cars - Penn Line - Life Like - Walthers - Rivarossi
Hello All, There was a thread here recently about short passenger cars and one response about Life Like company's short cars appearing in a "Train Line" or "City Line" or what ever, train sets. I have...
3
3

Moth Lake & Mount Ahab RR
Just wanted to ask does anyone have any experience with the Moth Lake & Mount Ahab RR layout as depicted in the book "Track Planning Ideas from Model Railroader 58 track plans from past issues. Its an...
5
5

Significance of upside-down brooms?
Hi, Just got off a railroad excursion - our train was backing up on a wye when I noticed an upside-down broom mounted on a pole. I ended up seeing four of these over the course of the trip - any...
18
18

HO F Unit passenger pilot?
I am detailing an Atlas Ph2 FP7 to match photos I have of Milwaukee 104A,C-105A,C. These 4 engines appear to be equipped with the EMD 'passenger' style pilot. I know of the cast metal one from either...
2
2

Broadway Limited USRA Light 2-8-2
Mike posts - CNJ Class M-1s were standard WWI USRA Mikes, #850-859 Class M-2as were post-war and had Wooten fireboxes, #860-895 Class M-3as, #896-915, had Wooten's too but came with brow-mounted...
18
18

NWSL Riveter on a drill press?
I'm semi-interested in doing some riveting in brass or styrene, and have been eyeballing the SensiPress with the Riveting Table attachment and dies. I can't quite see spending $100+ for the package,...
10
10

Substitute for Homasote?
Can not get it here..can you use 2x4 ceiling panels?
29
29

Foam Board vs Plywood/Homasote
Hello, Is anyone using Foam Board insulation (blue, pink) instead of plywood/homasote for their benchwork? Any problems associated with using foam board? I have read/heard that foam board works well...
16
16

Mach 2 German armoured train kit
Has anyone done a review of this kit? I have built Mach 2 stuff before, and cleaning up the flash can be a nightmare. Incidentally, considering that some of these kits make 1960's Airfix look truly...
2
2

Lionel 2023 locomotive servicing question (loose E-unit lever)
Hi, all. I have a 2023 locomotive that has some problems. I fixed a number of loose wires, but it now just runs a few feet and then stops. I have to push the Direction button on the ole KW transformer...
1
1

Advice Needed
I am contemplating buying a BMI sound steam locomotive. Other than the advertising claims, and MR's accolades (they always give them), I have not seen any real info on the quality of these models. Can...
2
2

Is Holgate & Reynolds still around?
Does anyone know if H&R is still around and if they're still making that styrene, embossed brick material? -Gerry Leone
8
8

Louisville & Wadley Railroad
Does anyone have ANY information about the Louisville and Wadley Railroad in Georgia. It basically served the textile industry in Louisville connecting to the Central of Georgia in Wadley. Thanks in...
5
5

Re: MRC DCC Sound Decoders
Read the review on the TTX site. Basically it boils down to you get what you pay for. If you need sound and you only have 40 bucks then they will do (otherwise save your money). I did hear they had...
4
4

postage stamp trains
howdy.... I've just come into possession of an Aurora postage stamp train, no 4801 "fast freight" could someone direct me to a website that might be able to give me more info on it? all the pieces...
4
4

drilling plexiglass
I'm making up a control panel (actually several if this one works) which is thin plwood or masonite with a computer-generated diagram glued to that and a non-glare plexiglass cover. I have to drill...
19
19

Atlas Granite Gorge and Northern
Has anyone built this layout, It looks to suit my plans very well. It is in the biik Six HO Layouts You Can Build, an older version, I think the book is now Seven, and is on the Atlas Web Page. I plan...
3
3

Miniature oiler from Harbor Freight
So I made a pilgrimage to the place where (practically) all the tools and stuff come from China and are cheap, and ran across a miniature lubrication pen that looked good, at only two bucks. Got it...
4
4

Templates for planning Kato UNITRACK?
I would like to plan a small layout using Kato Unitrack. It would be a big help if there was a set of templates available for the various track pieces. These can be copied and shuffled around to see...
14
14