Best Rated threads in Model railroading in the UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Anyone want an 00 gauge railway in need of restoration?
Hi folks, I have an 00 gauge electric model railway from the 1970s or '80s which I no longer use. Unfortunately it has been stored for a long time in the attic of my parents' barn. The solid, heavy...

L&Y Railway control numbers (on brake vans)
Folks, Back in the dim and distant when men were men and all the good railways started in Lancashire the L&Y introduced a scheme of control numbers that they'd paint on the side of their goods brakes....
7
7

Block Occupation - Vehicle in Section or Train in Track
I like many others have been attempting to install a Block Occupation system within my model railway. But as yet I have not been able to form a satisfactory method that does not have one short coming...
17
17

Strange chimney on GWR
The manufacturer of this ebay item usually supplies models of North American Prototypes. that the reason for the unusual shaped chimney on this UK loco or were any actually built like this. My...
12
12

Steam age breakdown train
Folks, Once I get the new layout up and running I fancy running a "Breakdown train" and whilst I'm waiting for planning permission on the layout from SWHTBO (she wants to convert the garage to a new...
3
3

Wagon Wheels
I'm trying to model the late 1950's. In general terms, would pre-nationalisation open wagons and closed vans still be running on spoked wheels or would they have been fitted with 3-hole by then?...
14
14

Shinohara scissors crossing
I finally got round to mounting this. Comments: the sleepers are (as expected) narrow for UK outline, they are HO code 83 I think, this can be kludged of course. Joining was easy using standard...
1
1

DC controllers switching
Am I missing something here - I am helping a chap build a layout, he has purchased a Morley Vortrak Zero Nine 4-track controller with built in CDU and plain 12v accessory outputs, which is way more...
8
8

Carr's Metal Black for Brass
How is one supposed to use it? I brushed it on with mediocre results. Maybe I should have cleaned the brass more? MBQ
8
8

Modify Hornby Duchess Body
Want to convert a new Hornby non-streamlined Duchess to as built condition - most important is to remove smoke deflectors. Has anyone tried this, will I find the correct pipework behind them. if not...
8
8

Odd ICI livery query
On the Stockton on Tees gov local picture site there are a couple of pics of tank wagons, one in standard class A livery but the other is a bit odd. It looks like a 14 ton tank but has a white barrel...
7
7

Hornby X04 motor
Is / was there a 5 pole version of the 3 pole X04 motor. Has anyone news of the trader who bought modelspares? When might business resume? Regards
30
30

Triang Motor Bogies
A Triang 31 is overloading the controller - I am sure it needs a new magnet - where is the best place please?
7
7

Eckon light signals
Hi I have just received a set of Eckon junction light signals without instructions. Can any body tell me where to wire in the 2 resistors that have come with them? I assume that they are resistors &...
3
3

G E R transfers
Hi Can anybody help me, I am building a G.E.R. Decapod & I cannot find a supplier for the transfers needed. Does anybody have any suggestions. My usual supliers "Fox Tranfers" do not make any G.E.R....
24
24

Mainly Trains
Noted from a previous thread that Mainly Trains have reduced their range. Is Dave Cleal still running it, if so just wondered if he is retiring. I remember him when he had his shop in Chandlers Ford,...
11
11

What traffic was Dapol 'Esso' tanker on?
I have just finished the construction of the Dapol 20T class B tanker with Esso markings (Kit C-36). For a kit that has been around for so many years, I was surprised about the basic quality of the...
7
7

Kato Scale (Japan)
Apart from Shinkansen, the railways of Japan were built to the 3ft 6ins gauge. So how does this work for Kato's Japanese ranges are their models (HO/N) built to a larger scale to represent accurately...
4
4

Hornby Turntable
I have a Hornby turntable which works fine but it is a bit annoying having it stop at every exit when I only have two of the exit roads connected for use. Is there any way in which I can permanently...
1
1

Road rail milk tanks
Am working on a beer tank and a milk tank as per . . . anyone confirm the livery for the mid 1950s milk tank trailer - My notes say bottom definately brown, upper part possibly cream, with a sub not...
1
1