Best Rated threads in Model railroading in the UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fitting Peco Point motors
Hi guyds Having lurked for a while since recommencing the hobby I now need some help In the eighties i modelled n gauge and fitted peco motors from underneath by making a jig and screwing them on via...
21
21

Replacement Bachmann Motor
I need a replacement Buhler motor for a Bachman Pannier Tank #9643. Anybody know where this can be obtained? BTW I'm in Canada but this isn't necessarily a problem as I will be in the UK early May for...
2
2

Bachmann 08 - Coupling Rods.
Dear all This is a question about the past. When the Bachmann 08 was first released there was an issue with the coupling rods being on the wrong way round. At teh time a fix was posted in various...
4
4

Bachmann 9F evening Star Problems
Hello All I hope you are all enjoying your Christmas I got a 9F Today, opened it up (lovely) sat it on the track (lovely) proceeded to run it in as recommended. Problem number 1 In reverse silent and...
38
38

Hornby Class 50 rotating fan
The Hornby Class 50 rotating fan is driven by the main motor, and will stop when loco stands still. Has anyone put a separate motor on the Hornby Class 50 fan to solve this? Ola Trygve Kvitle "Ola...
1
1

Dapol / Kitmaster Kits
Can anyone tell me something about these kits please? Can they build a working model? Regards Peter A Simple answer no, harder answer yes. There are some conversion kits that allow you to build a...
6
6

Mineral Fibre Board
Has anyone come across this stuff in the UK? There was an article in the September 1994 issue of Model Railroader about building roadbed with something called Micore 300, which is a mineral fibre...
7
7

Replacing the armature in an X03/X04 motor
Has anyoe out there ever successfully replace an armature in an X03/X04 motor? How easy is it to open the motor up and then when the armature is replaced close it back up so that it is solid again? Do...
4
4

Soldering wires to Bachmann split-chassis metal
All, Hope everyone is having a nice summer. Can anyone advise on the flux/solder to use to solder dcc decoder wires to the two halves of a Bachmann split chassis? Red Label doesn't work, as it's not...
14
14

Controller recommendation
Since my H&M controllers are at least 20 years old and haven't been used too much recently (although they still seem to work well enough), I'm a bit leery of trusting them too much. Given that I...
12
12

Curved crossing construction for 'Y' turnouts
I posted the following on the Templot forum a few days ago but so far no-one's offered any advice so I thought I'd try posting it on here in case any of you good people can help... Some of the...
10
10

DCC bus wire size
What size wire do I need to use for the bus? I thought that 1mm lighting cable would be ok but I am getting confused when I look at the spec from RS for 29swg tinned copper wire (390-555 is actually...
21
21

Finescale track
Hi there, I'm currently trying to decide what track to use on my new OO finescale layout. Can someone tell me what are the differences between SMP and C&L flexi track? Also, I was considering using...
120
120

Heljan class 47, is it really over width?
Hi, I was talking to one fo the reps on the Heljan stand at Warley last saturday, and they had their new class 33's on the stand. I ased him if Heljan had managed to make these the correct width this...
20
20

DCC minimum starting voltage
I have been playing with some of the CVs on my Bachmann 158 equipped with a Lenz Gold decoder. From what I have read, I thought that the minimum starting voltage (CV2)should be adjusted until the unit...
13
13

Hornby class 110: second look
Hmmm. I'm increasingly drawn to the Hornby Class 110. Nicely detailed (by toy train standards, which is my level), and correct for my NE region branch line - also looks tough enough to stand operation...
13
13

Help! - fitting DCC to older hornby class 47?
Hello all, Just started with DCC. I've fitted a couple of wired decoders successfully. But I'm stuck with an older Hornby class 47. There's only 1 pick-up wire which goes from the trailing bogie to...
9
9

Connectors for Tortoise point motors
Can anyone help? I bought some Tortoise point motors recently. I want to make it easy to change them in the event of something going wrong with one. The suggested method of connecting is to solder...
4
4

Heljan Class 47
Have just received my new class 47 and now must remove the body to insert the headcodes. As the instructions are a bit sparse on remove the body are there any tips, tricks, or warnings that you lot...
6
6

Midland Wagon Lift - How does it work?
Following on from Keith supplying the URL of the Midland railway wagon lift has anyone got any ideas as to how it might have worked? It looks as though the wagon platform ran on rails and was raised...
8
8