Best Rated threads in Model railroading in the UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Triang Series 3 Track
I have some old series 3 track and series 3 rolling stock etc. Can I interface it with series 6 track (if so how) and can the old trains run on it? Series 3 - is that one of the very early ones with a...
12
12

ZTC DCC
How does the (British!) ZTC product compare to other manufacturers of DCC? Reliability? Functionality? Price? (I suppose I could google that one) Also, how do slave units communicate back to the...
5
5

Sodding point motors
I've just spent three hours failing to get one pair of point motors to work. They work fine off the layout, the points work fine without the motors, but once the motors are on the points they simply...
25
25

Narrow gauge scale kits
Would any one advice on narrow gauge modelling . 009 or 7mm which is the most available in kits conversions using available chassis, or complete kits. Any information on suppliers . Any help at all....
39
39

Hornby Trakmats
Hello I just bought two Trakmats: R9086 [for Thomas] and R8217 advertised as new for 2008. Both arrived with the part number X5430 and are identical. There are other trakmats [eg R8011] but will these...
8
8

Hornby Power Track
What the difference between the two types of Hornby power tracks R8241 ( digital ? ) and R8206 ? My guess is the 'old' R8206 has a resistor or something built in ! Chris "Dragon Heart" wrote That's...
3
3

Modern Image 0 Gauge Track - UK
Hi all, I'm making a comeback to modelling after about 20 years, and finaly taking the leap into 0 Gauge after many years of N and 00. I've manged to negotiate some space with The Authorities and...
15
15

Laying Track Across a Baseboard Joint
I am finally ready to start laying track but there is one aspect that I am unsure about. I have a couple of junctions that will straddle a join in the boards so I can place points either side of the...
18
18

Copydex
Hi folks, I read recently that diluted copydex can be used instead of diluted pva for setting ballast ... the advantages claimed were that when it sets it sets "elastic" and has a matt finish. I'm...
20
20

Track cleaning wagon
I bought an HO gauge Lilliput track cleaning wagon about 20 years ago. It looks like a Shell oil tanker, but there is a screw top that you open and fill with meths. On the bottom there are a pair of...
16
16

Good service
I purchased a Springside white metal kit of a road vehicle about three years ago at a show from a trader I can't remember, but only recently got round to opening it up. A part was missing, so I...
3
3

H&M Walkabout
Hi all. While I remember, Happy New Year! A quick question. I have acquired an H&M Walkabout hand held controller, and I need to know what power supply it should take - is it a pure 12v DC, or does it...
11
11

A matt or gloss finish on plastic models?
I have a question relating to the paint finish on plastic models. Is it preferable to have either a matt or gloss finish on 00 gauge rolling stock? I seem to find that factory-finished plastic models...
10
10

BR Diesel/Electric Headcode Font
Little canter a month or so ago explored the rights & wrongs of the fonts BR used in it's headcodes and how it was difficult to get it correct without tweaking it after... found this

Scratch-building a diamond crossing
Scratch-building a diamond crossing because the angle I want is not available from the Usual Suspects. Should be easy enough, but I seem to be struggling. Is there a handy how-to on the good old...
6
6

Converting RTR Steam Locos to 18.83 gauge
Hi all, As a kind of followup to my earlier post re Lima coach and wagon wheelset replacements, can anyone tell me what kind of straightforward conversion packs are available for RTR steam locos to...
31
31

EFE Tube trains
Hi all. Anyone out there motorised an EFE Tube train? If so, have you used new couplings and what type please? My plastic ones look as though they won't last long. Cheers I've done it with Tenshodo...
1
1

Metcalfe Platform
What's the group's opinion on Metcalfe models card platform kits? Thinking of using some, mostly straight but one section will need to curve. Anyone got any experience of building these? How easy is...
7
7

Relco track cleaners
Bought a couple of these second-hand the other day, can anyone please tell me where the brown and blue resistors?/capacitors?/things? go? TIA Dave -- web: dave.potter55(at) All outgoing mail certified...
8
8

Pulsed Width Modulation Controllers
Hi Folks, Thanks to Bromley Libraries I've got my hands on a copy of the "Complete Book of Model Railway Electrics"/Roger Amos. After giving it a quick scan I'm quite astounded by some of the very...
6
6