Best Rated threads in Model railroading in the UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Painting the Peco OO turntable well
Hi I'd like to paint my Peco turntable well but having never seen one in real life and with photographs being shot from ground level, I'm unsure of how best to finish it. I suspect the concrete walls...
2
2

Noisy Prairie Engine
Hi, I have been given an Airfix Black Prairie tank engine. The model has good slow and fast control, but it makes a lot of noise when it runs. Were these Airfix Prairie engines always this noisy??? My...
6
6

009 chassis
Is there a RTR chassis which people commonly use for 009 models of 0-4-0 steam locos these days? I've some photos of an old 2'6" (close enough to 2'3"!) loco I fancy doing, but wondered what a model...
21
21

Methfix transfers
Have just bought some Methfix transfers, but have no idea how to use them :-( They are described as varnish or Methfix, whichever you prefer. Well, I prefer waterslide, which is all I have ever used,...
12
12

Hammant And Morgan controllers
Can anyone advise me about H and M controllers please ? I have just acquired some old 00 items and amongst them are an H and M Duette, which works perfectly (it is around 20 years old). There is also...
12
12

second motor in lima deltic
I have now got a layout with track only so far, and after many years, I have also got my collection of Lima deltics dusted and running, after being stored in the loft. As expected, they ran poorly,...
11
11

Hornby Class 50 problems (DCC)
Any advice appreciated. I have a Hornby class 50 (Ark Royal) fitted with a Lenz 1035 decoder. I was bought the model as a present but it was some time before I could run it and when I did I found its...
21
21

Duette Transformer/Controller
I have just acquired one of these via eBay, model N/474. It is fairly old, and there are no instructions with it. Connecting up is intuitive, but what about the switches? Half Wave/ Full Wave - I...
6
6

Triang Series 3 Track
I have some old series 3 track and series 3 rolling stock etc. Can I interface it with series 6 track (if so how) and can the old trains run on it?
12
12

ZTC DCC
How does the (British!) ZTC product compare to other manufacturers of DCC? Reliability? Functionality? Price? (I suppose I could google that one) Also, how do slave units communicate back to the...
5
5

Chimneys on Fowler 4F,2P & 4P Compounds.
I would like to replace the Deeley/Fowler chimneys of my models with the type carried from 1940 - 1967 which some refer to as "Stanier" type. The Gibson "Fowler" chimneys are what I think of as...
3
3

Sodding point motors
I've just spent three hours failing to get one pair of point motors to work. They work fine off the layout, the points work fine without the motors, but once the motors are on the points they simply...
25
25

Narrow gauge scale kits
Would any one advice on narrow gauge modelling . 009 or 7mm which is the most available in kits conversions using available chassis, or complete kits. Any information on suppliers . Any help at all.
39
39

Hornby Trakmats
Hello I just bought two Trakmats: R9086 [for Thomas] and R8217 advertised as new for 2008. Both arrived with the part number X5430 and are identical. There are other trakmats [eg R8011] but will these...
8
8

BCA's Railway Book Club in Swindon
Last month, via a advert tucked into one of our sons Model Railway mag's, I ordered four books from BCA's Railway Book Club in Swindon ! I got the two most expensive books but 'Railway Modelling' &...
3
3

Hornby Power Track
What the difference between the two types of Hornby power tracks R8241 ( digital ? ) and R8206 ? My guess is the 'old' R8206 has a resistor or something built in ! Chris
3
3

Modern Image 0 Gauge Track - UK
Hi all, I'm making a comeback to modelling after about 20 years, and finaly taking the leap into 0 Gauge after many years of N and 00. I've manged to negotiate some space with The Authorities and...
15
15

Triang / Hornby track cleaning car - prototype?
What prototype is the Triang / Hornby track cleaning car based on? I'm thinking of the bogie one with the pitched roof and the loop of spongy stuff underneath. I bought one of these at an exhibition...
59
59

Laying Track Across a Baseboard Joint
I am finally ready to start laying track but there is one aspect that I am unsure about. I have a couple of junctions that will straddle a join in the boards so I can place points either side of the...
18
18

Good service
I purchased a Springside white metal kit of a road vehicle about three years ago at a show from a trader I can't remember, but only recently got round to opening it up. A part was missing, so I...
3
3