Best Rated threads in ⚡ Welding Forumsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Lincoln/Miller again or Ford/Chevvy ?
Tempted by the ads I'm looking at (relatively) small engine powered welder/generators again. They SEEM to be coming down in price and I'm GUESSING that there are surplus units due to production...
10
10

Two sets of regulators on one full size Argon bottle??
I want to be able to internally purge stainless pipe fabrications, but can't justify hiring two full size bottles. Can you buy an adaptor to run two regulators off one full size Argon mix bottle? One...
8
8

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 plasma cutter. Is it daid?
Gentlemen, About a month ago, at an industrial auction, I bought the plasma cutter of reference. I hadn't gotten around to testing it before now because my 50 amp plug didn't have the correct...
7
7

Vise Grips now made in China
Vise Grips will be made in China, story here ... "To keep the Vise Grip name competitive they have to move to China"??? Booolpuckey. I, and I suspect many others have paid a premium for YEARS for...
12
12

Brazing cast iron
Just noticed the arm on my Chinese drill press that holds the table is cracking. Think I'll try to braze it. The arm comes off and it will fit in my propane BBQ. Will that get it hot enough so I can...
3
3

welding in monsoon period
Dear Sirs, I'd like to ask you an opinion about a problem we have had in india some month ago. We have welded some sheets of ASISI 430 with an electrode of 309 and we have obtained several cracks in...
7
7

Welded me a gopher today
Went out this AM early, and the little bugger had made two new mounds overnight! The nerve! Gave him a charge of propane and new oxygen for a minute, and got a really deep thump that raised the grass...

Storage shelf welding project completed
The storage shelf project I used as justification to buy a welder is now complete. (and I ended up with a second new welder as well). Here's the project told in pictures.... ended up using all angle...
17
17

Weld Measuring Gauge- Navy calls it PN-7...
Howdy, all! I'm looking for info on a guage used by the naval shipyards- we call it a PN-7 guage, but I cannot find any on-line. It looks very much like a combination square, but is ruled down both...
10
10

Miller Syncrowave 250 DX - NO DISPLAY
Hello All- Trying to troubleshoot our Miller Syncrowave 250 DX tig welder. An employee had used it over the weekend, and now the display is not operating at all. Checked the owner's manaul at and I'm...

Gas welding aluminum filters
Anyone have experience with goggles, specifically; Didymium Vs. cobalt Vs. Tin Man's specials? Kent sure wants a lot of money for his lenses. Will brazing fluxes work for aluminum? Tinman's lenses...
3
3

Trailer and dovetail
Just been thinking, if a person were to build a 12 foot trailer with a dovetail, how would you add the dovetail using that 3x3 tubing I was talking about? Woud you just cut a 2 foot piece at an agle...
1
1

Thermal Arc wire feed machines
I have seen a number of people post good things about Thermal Arc's inverter TIG machines, how are their wire feed machines? I was looking at their Fabricator 180 for about $625. Thanks, Bob I have...
3
3

Miller MIG question
Brushes burned out on the wire feed motor? I'm helping a friend who's having problems with his Miller MIG, a 172, IIRC. A 220 wirefeed running .035 wire and CO2. The machine will click, but not push...
6
6

Cutting Open a Propane Tank
I have an old propane tank that I want to turn into a gas forge. I have the burner, gauge, regulator, and hose. All I need is to fabricated the forge. My plan was to get the valve off the tank and let...
15
15

Thermal Arc 3 or single phase
I have a Thermal Arc 250 GTSWSE AC/DC welder and need to know if it can run on 220v single phase and if so what is the setup wiring etc. any advice is much appreciated thanks Brian you can find the...
1
1

high freq for dc250 lincoln
Hi, I have a dc250 lincoln cc/cv welder that i'd like to hook up a K799 or older "high freq" unit on for TIG. But while looking at an owner's manual for a Lincoln "high freq" arc starter it said...
2
2

Generico
Generico is made in Brazil, and any reputable repair shop can fix them. They are a Victor clone, a step up from the HF clone stuff. Your impression of Northern is a whole lot higher than mine,...
4
4

Stick welder transformer questions
Hi, I have an old Abel 130 amp welder that grunts and groans when I set it to 100 amps or more. The hum starts to sound distressed a bit like the unpleasant edge to a sound when a speaker is...
16
16

Lightweight welding table?
--Am in need of a table maybe 24" on a side but wanted to do something other than a slab of steel. I'm thinking of building a 'torsion box' like woodworkers use to lay out large stuff precisely. This...
6
6