Best Rated threads in ⚡ Welding Forumsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Amperage by rod diameter or base metal thickness?
Howdy, I bought myself a box of rod today, 3/32" 6013. I will be using this for welding angle iron that is 1/8" thick with an AC buzzbox. The recommendation for rod of this thickness is 30 to 80 amps,...
5
5

Harbor Freight Portapower Sets - Are They Worth Buying?
I am considering buying a portapower set for the home shop. I am used to the Enerpac products...good stuff. Are the Harbor Freight portapower set worth buying? They have both a 4 and 10 ton set...
7
7

Is welding dangerous for the eyes?
A poster here recently claimed that, regardless of welding helmet used, welding causes eye damage. Is that true? Additionally, it was also claimed that the cheap (AKA fifty dollar HF helmets) will...
27
27

Universal Rod, polarity??
Years ago I was getting ready to weld some light weight stuff and realized I was out of rod. Too late for a regular welding supply house, so I went to Sears and bought some mild steel self starting...
12
12

RilandUSA TIG-200WSE
I would appreciate the groups unbiased feedback on the Riland Tig-200WSE tig welder as compared to the Thermal arc 185 or HTP Invertig 201 for example. The limiting factor is the line supply. 220v, 40...
2
2

Acetylene regulator sputter
My acetelyne regulator sputters and pops when setting and welding. The sputter is rythmic and fairly constant. Any ideas?
1
1

Identify uses for two welding rods
Hi, folks, I have a couple of types of welding rod that I can't identify any use for by searching Google, Web or Groups. I've checked all the applicable subjects in this group as far back as July '06....
5
5

Millermatic 250 ?
Someone I know has a Millermatic 250 for sale with no bottle and no spoolgun. It looks like fair condition. From past Ebay sales, $1000 or $1100 looks like about the going price. Does anybody have any...
2
2

aluminum ship repair welding?
I have been asked to bid a job where I'd have to fabricate a simple handrail of 6061 aluminum and weld it to a guy's boat. This boat is too big to trailer to a shop, well, not in any practical way...
4
4

Trailblazer 175?
Well, I am narrowing it down for a truck mounted and portable welder. I keep coming back to the blue 175. The comparison charts all have it about one step above the others in most comparables. It has...

welding table from 1/8" plate?
I would like to have a little welding table for welding small things. I have a plate (part of some military equipment) that is approximately 1/8" thick, and 24x18" in dimensions. I would like to know...
17
17

Welding aluminum with DC
I would like to try welding 1/8" thick aluminum angle with DC reverse polarity and 1/8" pure tungsten electrode. My question is, how many amps to use and is that even achievable at all. Thanks. i
13
13

buzzing welder transformer?
I have a main transformer in one of my welders that's just starting to buzz. I checked the bolts holding it down - tight. I pushed on the top corner, sideways, so as to compress the laminations...
20
20

Spray mode
I was ordering gas today and asked about an 85/15 Argon CO2 mix to MIG weld in spray mode. The guy says we have 75/25, or 92/8, neither will support both short circuit and spray modes. He says he has...
12
12

large diameter pipe miter
Does anyone know where I can get a miter template for joining two pieces of 8.5" OD pipe at 90 degrees. I need the same for 6.5" OD as well. Perhaps there is a program........ or someone has a tried...
12
12

7018/TIG cross-contamination?
I am welding together a roll cage, its made out of 2" OD 1026 DOM. We used 7018 to tack the tubes together while it was in the truck, now I am using the TIG to finish welding it. I think using the...
5
5

Lincoln Econotig
I ran across a used Econotig, complete with air cooled torch, very low hours, no bottle at well less than half of retail sticker. This would be for my home shop. I occasionally use an Lincoln...
2
2

Welding silicon bronze -- am I doing something wrong?
I'm just beginning to play around with silicon bronze. I tried TIG welding some sheet (.065") and noticed that the bronze does not behave like any other metals I have welded (steel, stainless,...
10
10

Auto frame welding
I am about to take a pair of mid-70s mild steel Jeep Cherokee frames (not modern heat-treated) and use sections of one as pre-formed panels to fully box the other. I do not have a flat concrete pad to...
8
8

Miller Spoolmatic 30A
While browsing in Reliable Tool today..I found a few boxes filled with used Miller Spoolmatic 30A spool guns and hose/cable assemblies. I bought one for $50. Now..what can I do with this thing? I have...
9
9