Polishing Alum. intake manifold.

Hey guys,

Odd one here, I had a upgrade to a client who went to a blower from a sheetmetal intake as he changed racing classes to pro-mod (No blowers or turbos) Anyhow I took in a real nice sheetmetal intake bartered into his rebuild for '05 The manifold looks weathered but it is very, very solid. I hit the runners and easy spots with a knotted wheel but is there an acid dip or other method other than tooth-brush cleaning with Mother's, other chem. Any ideas gents... I don't want carpal tunnel from cleaning it as it will be a high resale item or I'll use it on a project someday. I just want it to look good.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Reply to
RDF

Look up electro polishing, it is used on many types of metals including reflectors made of aluminum.

Reply to
Mickey

Thanks Mickey, I looked into it and there is really nothing in Chicago surprisingly enough that offers the service. Is this a "tried and true" method. I did note the anode /cathode removed material and a leak on a manifold would be disastrous on the dyno not to mention the track (If you ever saw a 1600+hp engine come apart and explode in a dyno booth you get an instant appreciation for halon and a sealed chamber! It shattered 3" of glass into the control booth) I understand any polishing will remove base material and I'll need to NDT the entire thing before putting it into service. Is this method worse than a caustic bath or even a trip to the nutshell blaster as a softer media? This is a totally new thing for me, I usually acid scrub and wire brush before welding but this is a maze of runners, bungs, bla,bla,bla....

Reply to
RDF

Electro polishing is a proven method never used it for your application. I have seen it turn a dull aluminum into a mirror finish. If there is not anything local I would go with what you can get done locally. There are so many grades and types of aluminum that you need to test a process to see what you are going to get.

Reply to
Mickey

Try to contact these folks in the Chicago Area

In Chicago

In Elk Grove Village
In Hampshire IL (near Rockford)
I've never used any of them, but I know one of my customers has

Reply to
Gjpostma

Thanks!! Able just got photo's emailed to them, they said no problem! Thanks!!!

Rob

Reply to
RDF

What are they charging? I have never tried an object that big.

Reply to
Mickey

I'm still waiting for a quote myself. No one called back today. I E-mailed them three photo's and dimensions.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

They don't want "piece work" apparently. The rep's reply indicated they traditionally only supply something to the effect of a mirror like finish.... Out comes the Rollock's & Mother's

Shit!

Reply to
RDF