TIG again after 5 years, help

I haven't TIGed for 5 years, what do I set the gas flow level at.

Tigging aluminum, 1-1/2" square tube, 1/8" wall to 1/4" plate.

Reply to
amdx

I usually run around 10-15 scfm depending on whether I'm using a gas lens or regular cup and what size cup/lens . Too much is as bad or worse than not enough .

Reply to
Snag

Finally a real person using a gas lens. Not just somebody on YouTube hawking wares or denigrating wares they don't get a kickback from.

So what do you think of the whole gas lens thing?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think it does give you slightly better shielding by diffusing the shield gas . I also think a round piece of scotchbrite pad slid up into the cup will do about as good at a much much lower cost .

Reply to
Snag

You know. One of the YouTube experts who is often hawking wares once suggested the same thing in a video using a spool gun to weld aluminum. A piece of Scotch brite pad back inside the hood to more uniformly deliver the shielding gas.

Reply to
Bob La Londe