Splatter adhesion

I'm running flux-core steel on a MIG welder. I would expect splatter blobs to stick to clean base metal, but I was just welding 3/16 steel that (except for the weld area) has a thin layer of rust over the surface. I don't understand why, or how, the splatter blobs manage to bond REALLY well to the dirty surface. I hit them with a grinder and many of them are bonded all the way down to base metal.

Is it just because it's flux core or what?

This is making me think of going exclusively to gas shielding...

Thanks! CG

Reply to
CG

It really depends on your wire. Coreshield 8 is much much cleaner, than most other self shielded flux-core wires.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You should not get excessive spatter. Stickout, the distance between the end of your contact tip and the arc has an effect. You might try experimenting by pulling back on the gun half an inch more then moving it inward slowly. Check the weld and see if you have any difference. I have run large wires that needed at least 1.5 inches stickout to run properly. Maybe the spatter slides across the ground surface more easily than when it hits a rusty location and stops to transfer its heat to the parent metal. Usually spatter sticks to clean metal better.

Are you welding forehand or backhand??? ( pushing or pulling) Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

you could try an anti-spatter fluid (or spray) especially if your welding in such a position that spatter is more prevalent. Here's an example of a spray anti-spatter

've always found flux core dcen (straight polarity) welding very messy. Good luck,

walt

Reply to
wallster

You would think :-)

I was pushing. I try to get in the habit of pushing for gas-shielded welding.

I never tried the anti-spatter spray - but I think that it's time. I didn't really need it until I started using flux-core. I have to keep reminding myself that "it's just like stick, only thinner". :-)

Thanks! CG

Reply to
CG

yes... slag is your friend! good luck, walt

Reply to
wallster

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Sometime back one of the experienced welders on this NG (can't remember specifically who) offered this word of wisdom:

"When there's slag, you drag."

In other words, for stick welding and flux-core you drag, moving opposite the direction the tip is pointing; for MIG you push (in the direction the tip is pointing).

But what about the dual shield (gas shielded flux core) that we've been talking about recently ... ?

Andy

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

I drag slightly for all flux core wires; gas shielded and self shielding. I often fall into the trap of using excesive angle and have to remind myself to get that nozzle closer to perpendicular. With wire feed it is important to keep the wire at the leading edge of the puddle. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I wonder if something like this could help the poster in the thread about plasma cutting stainless steel and the slag left on the cut edge?

Since I don't have a plasma cutter I don't know if the slag produced is the same as splatter from an arc welder.

I wonder how anti-splatter sprays work in general. Is it a coating that prevents the splatter from sticking to the weldment or does it somehow actually prevent the splatter from occurring to begin with?

Reply to
Artemia Salina

> I've always found flux core dcen (straight polarity) welding very

The slag or dross that's left under the cut (kerf?) from a plasma cutter is the "melted" steel that has been cut away. I beleive this is (sort of) different than the spatter of slag that is left when the flux inside the wire creates a shielding gas that protects the weld (shields it from contaminates) The flux contains both slag forming compounds and alloying elements. Spatter cools at a rate of about 1000 degrees per second so anything that you can do to prevent it from sticking while it is still molten will help. Some anti spatter sprays use corn oil, (I think PAM non-stick works too) but i've never tried it while using a plasma cutter to minimize the dross. I seldom use flux core wire (except outdoors with wind or stick welding) but i find a quick once over with the grinder or wire wheel and it's pretty well cleaned up. My 2 cents worth,(all you welding experts, please feel free to correct me if i'm off here) Good luck,

walt

Reply to
wallster

I have some and I have a CNC Plasma cutter - It is in my plan to try the anti-splatter fluid spray can that I got.

I hope to try that in the a.m. Had to take a load of boxes to be recycled - Poor truck was loaded with a tree and didn't know it. (Moving boxes). Had to have a tire fixed - nail in it. What a day.

I'll report on the spray and the brand - on the effects. Before and after. Hum - have my camera in the shop - maybe pictures for the dropbox if the test turns out positive.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot