Video Versus the Hood (2023 Update)

I've got four autodark welding hoods, and one with a fixed #10 lens (might be #11 I forget). Two of them are fairly cheap and two are what I call 1st stage good. Not a top of the line, but first step up in price to a helmet some pros have said is adequate. Arguably the Harbor Freight Vulcan is the best or maybe its just my favorite. My son prefers the Lincoln Viking. That's the better one Lincoln sent me for free when I threw a temper tantrum about buying the most expensive helmet in local box hardware store and finding out it didn't have a replaceable battery. The Viking is pretty good.

Anyway, none of them produce anything close to the viewing picture you see on video on the big welding video channels. Is the camera really correcting that much or is there really an auto lens that will produce that quality of viewing picture.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's possible that the high-quality viewing pictures you see on welding videos are the result of the camera used to record the welding process. Cameras can often enhance or adjust the colors and lighting in a scene to make it look more appealing to viewers. It's also possible that the welders in these videos are using a high-quality auto lens that produces a clearer and more accurate view of the welding process than the hoods you currently have.

Reply to
Polytech