Adding ailerons

Hello, Some time ago i bought a plan from vth.de for a trainer like plane. It's a one meter wingspan plane with a speed 400 direct drive engine. By now i have finished the fuselage and rudder. I'm planning to add ailerons. My plan is to get rid of half the dihedral and using barn-door type ailerons from about 12% of the wing.

My question is: Will this work? Does anybody have any recommendations or tips or websites about this subject?

greetz and thanks from Holland, Joost van Asten

Reply to
Joostt

I did a similar thing to a .40-size (60" span) parasol wing tainer and hinged the ailerons at the top edge. This gave me the same effect as differential ailerons. There was no sign of adverse yaw when we flew it. It surprised the test pilot.

Bruce Bretschneider

Joostt wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

I did exactly the same thing on a 3 channel Aeronca Champ trainer some years ago. You should be fine.

Reply to
NewsReader

Reply to
strathboy

The 12% referenced in the original post refers to the area of the aileron, not the length. The ailerons on your Flybaby must have a large chord to have almost 50% of the wing area and I'll bet that isn't the case. Adding the ailerons isn't that much trouble, however, adding them to a 3-channel plane may well give two ways to make a turn -- 1) by aileron; and, 2)by rudder.

Bruce Bretschneider

strathboy wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

Reply to
strathboy

An aileron-only turn is a slip, the opposite of a skid, and is safe but inefficient flight.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas