Adding ailerons

Hello, Some time ago i bought a plan from vth.de for a trainer like plane. It's a one meter wingspan plane with a speed 400 direct drive engine.
By now i have finished the fuselage and rudder. I'm planning to add ailerons. My plan is to get rid of half the dihedral and using barn-door type ailerons from about 12% of the wing.
My question is: Will this work? Does anybody have any recommendations or tips or websites about this subject?
greetz and thanks from Holland, Joost van Asten
I did a similar thing to a .40-size (60" span) parasol wing tainer and hinged the ailerons at the top edge. This gave me the same effect as differential ailerons. There was no sign of adverse yaw when we flew it. It surprised the test pilot.
Bruce Bretschneider
Joostt wrote:

I did exactly the same thing on a 3 channel Aeronca Champ trainer some years ago. You should be fine.
I assume the 12% refers to the length of one wing. Barn door or strip ailerons will work fine for the conversion. I revised a De Havilland Beaver from strip to barn door ailerons and they were quite effective. 12% however, does not seem adequate. My Dynaflite Flybaby has a barn door aileron of 18 inches on a 39" (one) wing dimension which is almost 50%. Adding the ailerons seems like a lot of trouble since a rudder turn would be fine on this type of plane. Stability in roll decreases with reduction of dihedral and although the turns with rudder aren't as pretty, they are just as effective. Just transfer rudder on your Tx to the aileron stick for the aileron feel. Very little rudder is needed and too much can get you in trouble quickly.

The 12% referenced in the original post refers to the area of the aileron, not the length. The ailerons on your Flybaby must have a large chord to have almost 50% of the wing area and I'll bet that isn't the case. Adding the ailerons isn't that much trouble, however, adding them to a 3-channel plane may well give two ways to make a turn -- 1) by aileron; and, 2)by rudder.
Bruce Bretschneider
strathboy wrote:

You're right, it was 1/2 the length of the wing in the FB. Length of the aileron and its location are more important than relative area. The only way to make a safe turn is with co-ordinated rudder and aileron and NOT one or the other. Aileron or rudder only turns are "skids" and are prone to spins at slow speed.

The only

An aileron-only turn is a slip, the opposite of a skid, and is safe but inefficient flight.
Dan