Slow Stick with ailerons?

Anyone put ailerons on this thing. I was thinking of decreasing the dihedral and putting ailerons on mine. Any comments/suggestions?

JJ

Reply to
JJ

JJ,

I did try a set of "Flaperons" on my Stick. They were full length (on each wing panel). I put an HS-55 servo on each side to control each one. Did not change from stock dihedral. What I was trying to accomplish was to add even more lift, and slower flight by using them mostly as flaps. I did fly the plane using them as ailerons to, as that is how they were hooked up (on channels 1 and 6 on an Electron 6 receiver). I use an Eclipse 7 transmitter, so mixing for flaperons was easy. Used the rotating knob on channel 7 for flap control. What I found in doing this was that I added quite a bit of weight behind normal CG with ailerons (I used coroplast to make them). The ailerons did work quite well for turns, and I was able to fly without using the rudder at all. The thing I discovered about them was that the wing had a great amount of flutter at higher speeds (even an unmodified wing has alot of flutter under those circumstances). I was reluctant to add more weight to stiffen wings (mostly at tips as that was were most of flutter appeared to be). I use my Stick for aerial photography, so adding any more weight would impact the performance (i.e., climb rate and battery duration) more that the added wing area was worth. I think though that for someone who just wants to experiment with it, and has the right equipment (computer radio, 6 channel receiver, micro servos) then it might be a worthwhile project. I really do not suggest using the "built in" ailerons on the wings as they would be ineffective for the most part, and harder to add linkages for them without greater weight penalties. DO correct CG to fine tune flying (I didn't, just used extra trim to overcome it) and know that performance was impacted and suffered because of it. I know that many of my flying buddies run lots of mods on their Sticks. I have seen V tails, brushless motors, and many more. You might try visiting RCGroups.com, and doing a search in their discussion group area for more information about how people are using and setting up their Slow Sticks......there are literally THOUSANDS of messages with lots of ideas......good hunting.....

Joe Bennett

JJ wrote:

Reply to
Joe Bennett

Yeah, quite a few have tried with mixed results. For the most part, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Give a look at RCGroups.com and search for slow stick and ailerons. You should get more information than you would ever want to read on the subject! BTW, the slow stick is an extremely versitile plane. You will find that just about everything has been tried with it including a canard and biplane. I use mine for a camera platform. This thing will just about anything you can strap on it without a whimper.

David

Reply to
David Morris