Recovering question?

I am recovering my first plane. I bought it used and after learning to fly it was in need of a new skin. I have stripped all of the old covering and plan on starting on the fuselage first as it seems like it would be the easiest. I have done some research on applying monocote and think I understand the process. Now my question is do I have to remove the control surfaces to get an acceptable job for the covering? I realize it may not be perfect doing it this way but I don't feel real comfortable cutting the old hinges and then trying to install new. Also anything else to watch out for?

Thanks for the help.

Ray

Reply to
Kat3595

NO. Please don't attempt to remove the control surfaces. One would normally create more of a problem than he already have. You do need a good iron and a boot to keep from scratching the new covering. I have had the best results using Monokote (UltraCote doesn't seem to stay tight - Coverite is heavy).

When covering a control surface, flex the surface away from the covering material then iron it on. Once it's ironed on, then carefully slit it down the gap and use the point of the iron to seal it down into the gap. This works out just fine and will almost cover the entire gap.

Good luck -- Phil

Reply to
Phil

What Phil said. Just double check the control surface movement after you get it done. Good luck Bill

Reply to
me

Irts worth diconnecting the clevises if you can tho.

The Natural Philosopher

Don't bother slitting it. when you iron on the covering, flex the surface as far as it will go on one direction and use a single piece of covering to cover both the fixed and movable surfaces (e.g. stab and elevator). Bring the surface back to neutral, then use a blunt instrument to poke the covering down into the hinge gap. Viola! Instant sealed hinge gaps, and no chance of flutter.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

You can remove the flight control surfaces if the hinges are Klett type. See

an example.

You can cut the head off the hinge pin (carefully) and remove the pin. When they're all removed, pull the flight control surface off with the nylon parts undamaged.

Cover as you see fit.

Snag a small spool of steel wire the same diameter as the original pin, at a hardware store. Stainless would be best if you can find it.

Cut a length of wire longer than the hinge is wide, and fold about

1/8th inch at one end 90 degrees to make an "L" (make a 'tab' on one end).

Use a pair of small needle nose pliers to hold the tab, and with the flight control surface held with all the hinges aligned, insert the new 'pin' through a hinge. Fold the other end of the wire 90 degrees and snip it off as close as possible.

Do the same thing for all the hinges, and the control surface is reattached.

Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Sadly my fully sealed ailerons still flutter...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hang on. How can they be round AND straight?

S'all right. They are outboard on elliptical wing, and the torque rods are not up to it.

Gonna put servos in the wings when I get round tuit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Longer control surfaces with straight planforms suffer more from flutter if the TE is rounded. It is better to leave them squared off.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

In the context the original statement was made, no chance of flutter. The context was a very rigid, well-hinged control surface, with short, slop/flex free linkages, on a plane being flown within its speed envelope.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Thanks for all of the input. I am starting the process so wish me well. But now I have a question about flutter. Since I am new I don't have much experience flying yet. How can you tell if you have flutter?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Ray

Reply to
Kat3595

If you have a mild case of flutter, you will hear it as a buzzing sound from the model, quite distinctive. A more severe case will cause the model to break up in the air so fast you'll be left wondering what happened. Either way, if you experience flutter, you'll know about it. The first thing to do if you hear it in the air is to slow the model down before something falls off.

Reply to
David Smith