[SOLVED] Problem with Lincoln Ranger 8 - no output (2023 Update)

I have the opportunity to purchase a 3 year old Lincoln Ranger 8 welder/generator with 600 hours. Apparently, the unit worked well for

3 years. However, while powering a refrigerator and some lamps, it ran out of gas. When it was filled up and re-started, there was no power output. (I ASSUME it was started under load.)

I have not actually seen or tested the unit but I'm wondering if anyone has any comments about the possible problem and a ballpark figure on the cost to repair.

I realize that this is VERY sketchy information but that's all I have. (Please - no smart ass responses.)

TIA

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jurgens

Blown fuse? I'd get down there and smell around -- if something burned up, even a few years ago, you'll still smell it. Nothing burned probably means cheap to fix.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

No output could be all sorts of things from a popped breaker on the panel (free to fix!!) to a blown diode in the excite circuit (cheap) to burned windings (don't go there!) Nothing really to say until you get to look at the unit and test it out.

Manual is here:

manual, includes full wiring diagrams

This is a nice unit for small jobsite use. Not up to procuction work on bridges or pipelines but certainly a good one for truck repair or sitting in the back of the maintenaince truck.

If you aren't able to test it before you buy, I'd assume that you have fried some major comp> I have the opportunity to purchase a 3 year old Lincoln Ranger 8

Reply to
RoyJ

This machine has a three year warranty. I would check the manufacturing date. If it happens to be just under three years old I would get it to a Lincoln authorized shop and get it repaired under warranty. The manufacturing date is encoded into the serial number. The first two characters in the serial number, normally "U1" is the plant where the machine was made. The next two are the year, "01" would be 2001, and the next two are the month. I think the warranty may apply to the original owner, but if the manufacturing date is within three years, you won't even need to show a receipt to have it repaired.

If you have neither weld or auxilliary output, the problem is most likely in the rotating field circuit. This circuit includes the rotor, brushes, bridge rectifier, field capacitor, printed circuit board, control pot, etc. The cost to repair this machine could range from free, if the problem were just a bad connection, and you repair it yourself, to more than $1000.00 if a rotor would need to be replaced.

Good Luck,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have another thought about this problem I wanted to share. It will normally not cause any damage to start this machine under load, providing that it is shut off within a reasonable amount of time if it doesn't build-up to its normal output.

If it were started under a heavy load and someone just walked away and didn't notice for some time that it wasn't producing output, the flashing circuit components on the PC board may have failed. If this has happend, the board will probably need to be replaced.

There are four large ceramic resistors on the PC board, the middle two are in the flashing circuit. If these are damaged this may be your problem. It is not a problem if the coating on these resistors is discolored or burned. It is normal for these resistors to get hot and burn the coating on the board, but if these resistors are open, the machine will not produce any output.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Some thngs to think about....

The running out of gas might be a place to start. Check for blown/tripped breakers-fuses.A burnt wire or corroded connection might cause this condition as much as a malfunctioning switch. Get a good volt-ohmmeter and get to work!

There is a tremendous voltage spike when a machine like this is stopped under load. This spike can wipe out many discreet and non discreet components.

That machine is an alternator based unit. Check for open circuit voltage on DC and AC. Should be in the 70+/- volt range. A manual will tell you what it should be at what RPM. This should tell you if the rectifier is working-or blocking output.(Spikes like to take out rectifiers) Even if welding output is blocked by the rectifier, the AC weld power and aux 110 and 220 outlets should function.

Athough the problem is rarely here in alternator machines, check the brushes and slip rings. You never know.

Put your meter probes on the back (wire end) of the brush and on the slip ring. There should be very little resistance. If the slip rings are brown-do not clean with any abrasive, although a spray of contact cleaner would not hurt. The brown is copper oxide and much more conductive than even a new "shiny" surface.

Black, grooved or burned rings must be resurfaced with a commutator stone (available from industrial outlets) or wood type sandpaper. Avoid all emery based products as the emery tends to embed itself in the soft copper and will wear your brushes out in no time.

If all wires, connections and switches work and no or very low welding power or aux power-the fields may have to be "flashed". Not very complicated, but must be done absolutely correctly, or your machine will be good nothing more than boat anchor material!!

Flashing is a procedure to "recharge" the residual magnetism in the exciter circuit. Kind of like priming a pump. This residual magnetism can deminish with long periods of inactivity.

If you get that far, let me know. Email direct if possible. Also let me know serial# or give me your specific electrical schematic diagram. This is one time that the exact diagram is needed. A typical diagram might work.Or it might not!

There is a diagram inside your machine. This is the one to use. It has a number and can be emailed, faxed, etc after contacting Lincoln-check their website.

Buying a used welder is always a crapshoot. Always a "pig in a poke"

Engine drives are always the most risky, due to the inclement weather, numerous parts required, vibration, etc.

My advice has always been, as far as any used equipment, is that if you can't "steal it"-don't buy it.

Don't be afraid to insult the seller. Keep in mind a bad rotor or stator (fields or armature) can cost 800-1200 to fix. Keep your risk to a minimum. A bearing running out even 10 thousandths can make some engine drive machines junk.

Any other questions-let me know. I'll guide you through this step by step, if needed.

Hope this helps a little

Good Luck

brad

Yes, I'm back!!!!

Reply to
Brad King

replying to Brad King, jason wrote: i have a ranger 9 that worked great about 2 years ago. it has bee inside my shop and will start and run great but produces zero power to the welding leads or outlets. the slip rings that the brushes are in contact with look kind of a dark color, almod black. is cleaning those up a good place to start?

Reply to
jason

replying to Brad King, jason wrote: i have a ranger 9 that worked great about 2 years ago. it has bee inside my shop and will start and run great but produces zero power to the welding leads or outlets. the slip rings that the brushes are in contact with look kind of a dark color, almod black. is cleaning those up a good place to start?

Reply to
jason

Jason sucks donkey dorks.

Reply to
Miss Recktum

Cleaning the brushes will not hurt but is probably not your problem. And you did check all the fuses and breakers, right? If all that checked out is there any chance that when you started the welder the leads were touching each other? Was something plugged into one of the outlets? In other words was the generator part of the welder connected to a load of some kind? If so this could have caused the generator to lose its small amount of magnetisation. In many generators a small amount of magnetism is present in the rotor of the generator. This small amount of magnetism is enough to start generating current which then builds up to the point that the generator will deliver full current and voltage. Sometimes a generator started with a load on it will lose this small amount of magnetisation. To restore it the generator needs to be "flashed". Flashing the generator involves applying a low voltage, 12 volts for example, to the windings. This then turns the windings into an electromagnet which in turn slightly magnetizes the armature. The polarity must be correct when doing this otherwise the welder generator will put out the wrong voltage polarity, unless the output is AC. Anyway, the above was just a long winded way of saying you should look online for info about flashing your welder. If this is a problem with your model of welder then there should be instructions online telling you how to do it. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Yes it is…I just did mine and it came right back to life !

Reply to
Darren Shumbo