Lincoln w/Perkins diesel

I'm considering purchasing a diesel welder/generator. I currently have a

3600 rpm gasoline welder/generator, but for various reasons would prefer an 1800 rpm diesel at this point.

Welder is described as a 2001 Lincoln with Perkins diesel, 350 amp welding (100% duty cycle) and 10KW auxiliary power. I cannot find a precise match in the current Lincoln offerings, and want to get a better idea what it is before I drive 100 miles to have a look. The Vantage looks the closest, if they've changed engines (current is Kubota) and upped the AC power a tad.

I mostly want to verify that a Lincoln/Perkins is likely to be 1800 rpm and liquid cooled. Ballpark estimates of value for a 3 year old unit would also be good (NE USA).

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I am pretty familier with the Lincoln product line and I don't know of anything that seems to match these specifications.

I would recommend that you get the code number and serial number for the machine. This way you could verify the age and locate an operator's manual and parts list on Lincoln's web site.

The month and year of manufacture is encoded into the serial number. The first two characters are the country and plant where the machine was manufactured. The next two digits are the year the machine was manufactured. The next two digits represent the month. A serial number beginning with "U10106...." would be on a machine manufactured in the United states in June of 2001.

To find the operator's manual and parts list:

Go to

Drop down the "Quick Links" menu and select "Operators manuals".

Click on the "Parts Navigator" link at the top of the white portion of the page.

Click the "Click Here to access Parts Navigator." link (This opens a PDF file)

The next screen has a series of buttons marked with ranges of numbers. Click the button for the range containing your code number.

Find your code number on this page. You will probably have to scroll down or use the search function.

The number following the code number is the parts list number and begins with the letter "P". Click on it to display the parts list.

The number following the parts list number is the operator's manual number and normally begins with "IM". The "IM" numbers for newer machines can be clicked to display the manual.

If it's an older machine, note the "IM" number and go back to

Drop down the "Quick Links" menu and select "Operators manuals".

Click the "Click Here to access Operators Manuals for Discontinued Equipment." link near the bottom of the page.

Find the button with the correct "IM" number on it. Click it to bring up the manual.

Cheers,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I think of sail boats and London Taxis when I see "Perkins diesel". I'd guess it could be a brit or Canadian model - just a guess. If a sail boat engine it is VERY likely to be 1800 RPM.

Reply to
2regburgess

Perkins' show up in a fair bit of industrial equipment in the US.

I have a loader with one, right now, and it has been reliable, surprisingly clean running, and faily easy to maintain. It is power-rated from 1500-2200RPM, idles at about 800. The service book implies that most of their industrial motors run in this range.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I think of sail boats and London Taxis when I see "Perkins diesel".

Reply to
enl_public

Here is my guess. Lincoln Cassic 3000 D rated 200 amps 100% duty cycle, 300 amps 60% duty cycle and output range 40-350 amps

3000 watts ac auxillary power
Reply to
R. Duncan