Lincoln with Onan engine

Local guy has an early '90's Lincoln Weldanpower with an 16 hp Onan P216
'Performer' engine. 250 amps AC, 200 amps DC, 8000 watts 120/240 all
at 100% duty cycle. It would do what I want, price is not outragous.
My concern is the Onan engine with 1900 hours. I got bitten by repair
costs on a previous Onan welder/generator rig, wound up scrapping it
out. Any comments on what I would consider high hours? I don't plan to
put a lot of hours on it, just don't want to buy a money sinkhole.
Reply to
RoyJ
I have an Onan too (DJE generator) and I am discouraged by very high spare part prices. Onan has a planned obsolescence. I was fortunate that for the part I wanted (a fuel shutoff solenoid) I could use a $45 F.W.Murphy solenoid, instead of a $280 (IIRC) Onan part. I am hoping that nothing major will break in my generator. When it does, I will part it out.
I sold military surplus onan heads for this generator (DJ series) for $450 apiece. Amusingly, they were sold to a contractor company that repairs military equipment. They attracted a lot of bids due to their extreme scarcity.
Ignoramus10273
Well personally I'll never own another welder with a Onan on it.
As for your question. Well I've seen or heard of Onan's failing anywhere from 300 hours to well over 3600 hours. As far as I'm concerned it's a crap shoot.
Reply to
Wayne Cook
Wayne, what would you buy that is not Onan, it is interesting.
Ignoramus10273
I have an early Miller Bobcat with the P216 engine. Bought it before the newer ones came with Kohler motors. Since these units are not economically rebuildable, the dealer described these mid-sized rigs as good for about 3000 hours before typical replacement with new units. The cost of a new engine is only a few hundred dollars less than the cost of a whole new unit. For my non-commercial use, 3000 hours will last a long time. Unless you consider the price to be a real bargain, you would be better served to get one with a Kohler engine with fewer hours on it.
>Local guy has an early '90's Lincoln Weldanpower with an 16 hp Onan P216 > 'Performer' engine. 250 amps AC, 200 amps DC, 8000 watts 120/240 all >at 100% duty cycle. It would do what I want, price is not outragous. >My concern is the Onan engine with 1900 hours. I got bitten by repair >costs on a previous Onan welder/generator rig, wound up scrapping it >out. Any comments on what I would consider high hours? I don't plan to >put a lot of hours on it, just don't want to buy a money sinkhole.
Reply to
Tom Kendrick
Well I've got a Honda engine on my welder right now that has twice the hours of the Onan that came off it. If that's not a option then I'd go with a Kohler though now days I consider them a distant second (compared to what they used to build).
Reply to
Wayne Cook
I had that exact model. I couldn't kill it. I changed oil, replaced batteries, and spark plugs. I guess I got a good one. When I went to get oil filters, I would shop for off brands, and IIRC, used Wix instead of Onan.
I'm in the market for a new portable, but it won't be Onan. They are quality, and run good, but when you got a problem, they're spendy. You have to balance what you spend with what the machine will make in return. Like the fellow said, ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances. Might last longer than you do and might throw a rod the day after you get it home.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I bought a 'used' Miller Bobcat 250 last fall. Used because the dealer had repaired some fencing around their facility. A total of 3hrs on the machine.
The welder came with full warranty for a substantially reduced price. It's powered by a 22hp Robin Subaru engine. According to the dealer Miller has stopped selling their welders with Onan engines; Kholer or Robin - buyer choice.
Anybody have experience with the Robin as to problems, longevity, etc?
The dealer told me that there was a slight amount of oil seepage and to watch it. I cleaned it up and ran it for awhile, more oil. It was returned for checkout by an authorized Robin service center,. they found that the front main seal had been installed wrong (no explanation). replaced it. I've had no problems since. The repaired was $106, covered by warranty.
John Miller
Reply to
John Miller
Robin used to be associated with Wisconsin and may still be. The place where I bought my Wisconsin parts said they were excellent engines. I have an old (at least 30 years) generator with a Robin industrial two stroke engine on it. It came from a rental place and went through a couple people before I bought it. I have put tons of hours on it. It still runs great and I have never had any problems with it. I would be happy with having equipment powered by a Robin engine. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow
Thanks for the comments. Sounds like 3000 hours is a good number for medicare stage. About what I figured. Floated a lower $$ number, see what happens.
RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Do not pay so much that, if it does die on you, you feel bad about shooting it and walking away. Onans are a good motor but spendy.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
How difficult was the transplant?
Reply to
Ecnerwal
The Honda came out of a Thermal Arc welder (it was made in Italy) thus had a tapered shaft. However it was different from the tapered shaft on the Miller. I wouldn't of been able to do it without a full machine shop and I'd say it took a good 16-24 hours of work to do it then. Not something I'd recommend to someone without a fairly large lathe and some machining experience.
While on this subject I suppose I should offer up the old engine to someone. It's a Onan 216 and has a new piston, rod, rings, bearings, and the crank has been turned undersize (cost me $500 for the parts). Problems are it won't hold oil pressure during idle (I'm guessing either oil pump and/or cam bearings, plus the main bearing holes in the block aren't exactly round) and it burns oil (not sure why I never managed to get the rings to seat).
Anyway the engine is free to anyone who wants to come and pick it up.
Reply to
Wayne Cook
Had to scrap the last one with an Onan. I came out OK because I got the orignal unit pretty cheap.
Steve B wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
A while back I sold a clean 225A Hobart with the same engine for $1200. Worst case for you, a new engine is $1200
That engine is durable, but it's a flat-head, not great on fuel consumption.
Wayne
Reply to
wmbjk
I've bookmarked the link. Thanks.