How I tested a Onan 423D diesel engine (with videos)

Bought if from the military for not too much.

Note that you will hear sound "cutting out" in the videos, that's something wrong with my camera (or how I use it), the engine keeps running. The last video meant to show how to stop it by cutting out

12V power to the fuel shutoff valve.

Do not click on the high quality videos link please, they are too huge to download.

Ignoramus31708

A lot of people are trying to download videos. They are hosted on my home computer, so download will be slow. Please do not hit RELOAD in the middle of a download. It is slow because there are so many downloads. All the videos are there. My internet access slowed down to a crawl, but, I think, all my pages should work for you if you are patient enough. Sorry about it. It should become better in maybe 1 hour or, likely, much less.

Ignoramus31708

is this a direct injection unit or one with prechambers? if its DI id try to fit a small turbo to it

Reply to
erik litchy

I have no idea. Good question. Why would you want to fit a turbo to it, if it runs fine already?

The best use fot it would be to set the speed to 1,800 RPM with the governor, fit a generating head to it via a splined shaft and U-Joint, that would give you a near perfect generator. The minus here is that it will be relatively bulky, but it could put out 20 kW 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. These engines were fitted to Onan generators.

I found info on those generators in Google

Onan Generator Model #: 20DL4L31777D Generator Serial #: C880109432 Onan Engine Model #: L423D-I/108900 Engine Serial #: B883331856

1.4 Hours, 1 & 3 Phase (Rated for both), 60 Hz, Current Voltage 120/208, 20 kW, 25 kVa, 12 Lead Reconnectable, 30 Amps @ 480 Volts Auto Start/Stop, Safety Shut Down, 12 Volt Alternator, Engine Mounted Air Cleaner, 80 Amp Circuit Breaker, Standard Generator Panel, Standard Engine Panel, Engine Mount Radiator, Skid Mounted Genset Dimensions: 5'L x 30" W x 42" H i
Reply to
Ignoramus31708

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:28:19 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus31708 quickly quoth:

How much did that beastie cost you, Ig?

I get only audio on the first AVI, no vid.

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Approximately $180. It is 60 horsepower. I recently bought from the military a whole bunch of big things -- four diesels (looks like two Cummins L423D and two DJCs), one 5 kW gas generator, one big 3 phase vacuum pump, and two enormous hydraulic cylinders. I am slowly bringing that stuff home. So far it is just one Cummins and the 5 kW generator.

That's upsetting. It is a DivX video, I could watch it with VLC and mplayer. What did you use?

Ignoramus31708

because i always do things like that. tinker with things until they work the way i want them to. also turbos increase efficiency of the diesels. id probably use it to power some project buggy of some kind

Reply to
erik litchy

Well, if you want it, I will offer it for sale. I would not modify it in any way though. This is the sort of thing that can run 20k hours before overhaul (and can be overhauled).

Ignoramus31708

has it got an SAE bellhousing?

Reply to
erik litchy

It has some sort of bell housing adapter, not sure what, but I can find out. Let me know what you want to measure.

Ignoramus22711

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:10:36 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus31708 quickly quoth:

Man, those are "stolen" prices, that's great. With your hauls, you should replace your pickup with a 1T tow truck, eh? I've seen all sorts of niceties hanging from the hook of tow trucks. Better yet, get a rollback. SuhWEET!

Real Player through Firefox on XP.

OK, I downloaded it and tried to play it with Windows Media Player 9. Hmmm, it plays audio only. Hmmm, I just retried the downloaded file with RP and it 1) says some portions of this file will not display properly. 2) prompts for a Real Player update. I do the update and it says "no updates are available."

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Restrict *avi downloads to wget only. ;-)

BTW, they also play properly in xine.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I just learned that it has glow plugs and that startup in 35 degree weather is very easy with those.

Ignoramus22711