Update on Suzuki engine

A police detective called me. I told him the full fedex story. After realizing that I will not be home during his working hours, he asked me to get a VIN number off the engine. He said that it should be there in at least 3 places (any ideas where?)

I will call him back tomorrow with the vin number. He said that if the engine is stolen, they would be interested (and, I suppose, take it off my hands), and if it is not stolen, they would not be interested.

Ignoramus21002

I doubt the number on a motorcycle engine is in 3 places. Maybe on the WHOLE motorcycle it will be in 3 places, but you don't have all of that. Look it over with a bright light for numbers that are STAMPED into a flat space on the metal. It should be a pretty long sequence that goes letter-letter-number-letter-letter and then continues for 14-17 total characters.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I don't think it will be in three places, but it is typically in one of three places, maybe that's what he meant. It will be stamped into the engine cases, or attached to them (metal tag riveted). Likely spots are near the starter and clutch cover, near the bottom of the clutch cover (the part with the sightglass), or somewhere near the sprocket. I'm drawing a blank on where it would be for a GSXR, which is kinda embarrasing cause I should know. If you're having a lot of trouble finding it let me know and I'll ask a friend who WILL know.

Reply to
Pete Snell

I will check it out tonight. Maybe will make better pix, also. Thanks.

Ignoramus21002

thanks

will check

Ignoramus21002

Motorcyles have only one number. It's on the frame's fork head. The engine number might be different, but Japanese cycles tend to have the same.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Check the right side of the crankcase. You are looking for the engine's serial number, not the VIN.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
JWho

OK. I set the engine vertically and looked quite closely. No trace of the VIN number. I do not want to detective to come to my home. I need some real urgent help on where may the VIN be located. Thanks.

Ignoramus21002

You may want to search Google for "GSX-R" GSX" "GSXR" and forums message board, etc. Someone that actually owns a GSX-R would be much better help than me. For now, with the exhaust pointting forward, and you looking forward like you are riding the bike, that is considered the right side in bike descriptions.

Reply to
JWho

Uh, isn't this the engine serial number??

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

I need a vin number. Not the engine serial number.

Ignoramus21002

While you're looking for a VIN number, also look for pairs of cut-off rivets or a ground-off area somewhere flat. That'll be where the VIN used to be and a good indication your engine passed through a thief's hands. At that point I'd call the detective and ask where he'd like the engine delivered to. However, it's pretty unlikely that there has ever actually been a VIN on the engine, as vehicles in their normal life spans get engines swapped out from time to time. You might have to give the detective the engine serial number and tell him to see about getting a cross-reference through Suzuki or one of their dealerships. Perhaps they'll accommodate him where they wouldn't accommodate you. Let him know you tried and give him any phone numbers you have written down. If a VIN had been put on the engine after the fact for security reasons, it's most likely going to be etched in the engine block itself. If you don't find any likely candidates on the block it's a safe assumption that there's no VIN anywhere on the rest of the engine.

Reply to
B.B.

It's on your picture page, Iggy. That one with four letters and six digits - appears to be R737-115840

You will have to cross check with a Suzuki dealer to turn the four letters into the first 11 letters/digits in the VIN, but the digits are the production serial number part of the motorcycle chassis VIN.

Suzuki should be able to search on that engine number and tell you the full VIN of the bike it was first sold in. I have $5 that says that the expanded VIN of the bike it came off of is something along the lines of (x meaning unknown) JSxGSXR7xxx115840

If they do a "partial match search" through NCIC on the Stolen VIN list with the right few letters that would signify 'Japanese manufacture, Suzuki motorcycle works" and the six digits at the end, if there are any hits you can research them further.

The first position in a standard 17-character VIN is country of origin (and in the US, there are several different digits used depending on the percentage of domestic parts used). The second position is the manufacturer. The third position is type of vehicle(car, truck, etc.) The fourth through seventh is the model series of the vehicle. (FJ62 is Toyota Land Cruiser, Eight through eleven are for model year, engine and transmission type. Twelve through seventeen are the sequential production serial number.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The only place you are going to get a VIN is from the frame tag that is either mounted on the left side of the steering head or on the left side of the lower frame...well, that's where almost all bikes have the VIN, anyway

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

replying to Shawn, JAMES wrote: THis is on a motorcyle or a car?

Reply to
JAMES