URGENTLY need to find out a VIN number of bike motor

People, I really need help here. If you answer, please make sure that your reply is xposted to rec.crafts.metalworking.

I have this motorcycle engine and I urgently need to FIND WHERE THE VIN NUMBER IS STAMPED ON IT. I looked kind of closely and couldnot find anything.

Where should I look for VIN?

Thanks a lot. If you know anything about these engines, plz reply.

I need a VIN number. I do not need a motor serial number that is obviously visible. Do not say "you need something other than what you are asking for". I need a 17 character VIN number. It should be supposedly stamped someplace. I already that the motor serial number starts with R737. I do not need that.

Ignoramus21002

People have already given you your answer. I just looked at the California registration paper for my Kaw KDX175, which says that the VIN is DX175A000058, which is also stamped on the engine -- I was impressed that it seemed to be a very low number. You will note that this number does NOT have 17 characters. Not all VINs have 17 characters. My 1970 truck VIN has only 14 characters, which means that Carfax can't touch it.

The detective is an asshole. If you need proof, call your DMV and ask. It's their system, they should know how it works.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Please pardon me for the cross posting, but it was requested by Iggy.

Yes. What Real Bev and OP Taylor (and several others) have told you. The engine will have a serial number, but no VIN number, on it. Your detective is wrong. Really!

Bikes always have the VIN number on the steering head. ATV manufacturers will hide the damn number anywhere on the frame that they are so inclined. (sometimes it involves 20 minutes of looking for a number to determine what year an atv is, in order to make sure that the correct parts are ordered for repair jobs.)

Good luck to you and Happy Trails!

Jim Cook

Smackover Racing Gas Gas DE300 Team LAGNAF

Wudsracer

Gees, you must've spent ten hours on Usenet just trying to answer this question in the past week.

I know you're trying to help out the detective and actual owner (if there is one!) of this engine, but at some point you really do have to throw up your hands and say "somebody else's problem".

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Wow, they have that on record? Must be a thick file!

Reply to
Rex B

I think we should start a contest. Lets see how many different threads we can keep running at the same time about this...

Let the damn detective look at the motor and get it over with! Tell him to take it with him and your problem is solved.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

This an't Russia Ig , should have just called Fed Ex back and tell them they screwed up and come pick it up. Now your screwed, just give the cop the number that you can find and I bet the cop will say he'll get back to you and never will. I'd be really surprised if they come pick it up for their yearly action of recovered stolen property, they don't even go through that stuff to see if it matches someone's case #, unless it's a some what complete vehicle. It could have come from any of the 48 states and a hundred different bikes.

It's probably hot or there would have been a return address. Bet a year from now it is still taking up your space. I'd ask the cop where you can drop it off for them, cause your into this way too far, and relax. The only way I can imagine that they would come to your house is if they think you might be a complete idiot working at a chop shop.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Yep. I called the detective, and told him that there is no VIN on the engine, only serial #, and gave him the serial. If he cares to look at it, that's fine.

I am sick of this shit, the engine is not worth damn after being damaged in shipping (maybe $200-300), I am wasting just too much time on this crap.

If the owner cared about that engine, he would have packed it better.

Ignoramus6607

I think that it was sent to me from a fedex sorting location for stuff that fell out of boxes. That's why no return address.

I agree, I should relax about it and continue cleaning out my garage.

Ignoramus6607

thanks... I wonder if anyone put such motor on a boat...

Ignoramus6607

Cart!

-DDave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

Dumpster...

Reply to
T3

Kennst-sie gixxerkart?

-DDave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

If you look closer at the serial number

'll see that the 'P' in the serial number P7.37 - 115840 has been changed to an 'R', probably with an chisel. HTH

Reply to
John

I doubt it. If that were true than you would be able to see where the lower end of curve of P touches the perpendicular. It is stops at the diagonal. It is just the weird font design.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As several have said before it's a Suzuki GSX-r 750, 2001 or 2002 if it has the mag clutch side cases. The motor / chassis series for these years was R737 so the numbers not been changed. There will only be one ID number on the engine and the photo linked above shows the only number of record. VIN numbers on a Bike in all countries, not just the US is on the left side of the headstock, usually stamped, not plated and they're not always 17 chrs. The Vin number will be the same as the engine number or with a manufacturers code added at the front, again as others have said. The numbers should match so the motor number sequence should show in a vin number search. The 'shitlacquer' finish is actually stock. The alloy is fairly exotic and corrodes easily so its laquered from factory. This is a water cooled fully enclosed bike where the engine is not easily visible or open to the elements and so it will look shiney out the frame regardless of its history.

Unless the OP paid for or has a need for the motor he should get Fedex to come pick it up again and save the agrovation. It has little resale value without provenance..

Reply to
mike

Have you tried calling Suzuki with the ID number? Perhaps they will a record of who the motor was sold to or the VIN if the bike it went into.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Yep, they could not give me anything.

Ignoramus20247

I agree with the weird font design - the R/P 737 looks different than the rest - it is likely the RY MM Is that Royal Year 73 month 7 maybe ? Their dates are based not on our calendar... Oh - it must be R7 37 as the Previous Emperor passed. I propose it is Royal 7 work week 37 and the run number or Royal 7 month 3 day 7 and run number.

I suggest taking the picture to a Suzuki dealer and asking for help.

Boris Mohar wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn