Going out of state without a DOT number

We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a

26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Ignoramus15636

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require it and your home state is one of those.

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it. The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you register it for.

Same with the trailer.

Reply to
Steve W.

Right. I guess I am stuck needing a DOT number. Are those hard to get?

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered it for 26k.

Ignoramus15636

Not really, just paperwork. You can do it right from the site I linked. Either online or with paper.

Must be one of the lighter versions. What does it scale empty?

Reply to
Steve W.

Nope, really easy if you follow the link. You can register online. If I have your business plan correct you will be FMCSA classed as an Interstate Motor Carrier & For-hire Property Carrier.

Once your in the system they will set up an appointment to come inspect your vehicles and records. Then they will track you for about 3-4 months or so. If you do OK during that time period they will leave you pretty much alone after that. Just make sure you have EVERYTHING ready before they inspect. That can be a PIA if your missing a piece of paperwork.

Must be one of the lighter duty trucks then. What does it scale empty with you in the seat and full of fuel? Not that it really matters, once it has a DOT number and it's being operated under a business heading it will need a CDL driver anyway.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks, I think that I should get started.

It is a 1996 GMC Topkick dump truck, empty weight about 12,500 with the fuel and driver. 25,650 GVWR. So that gives me about 13k actual weight capacity.

It is actually great for going to scrap yards and such.

Ignoramus15636

Yes.

You mean, like, registrations and insurances and safety stickers?

Yeah. 12,500 empty with driver and fuel. 13k cargo capacity.

I do not have a CDL, but I employ a person with a CDL who knows how to operate that stuff.

Ignoramus15636

Plus license copies, medical certificate copies, drug test clearances, business paperwork showing all the insurance and ownership details. If you have employees they will want to see the payroll records to make sure you're in compliance with all the federal regulations for all employees and not hiding someone from them. Follow that link and it will show you all you need to know and what you need to have on file for compliance.

What happened to you getting your CDL? Just remember as the owner of the company YOU are responsible regardless of who is operating the equipment.

Reply to
Steve W.

Lots of transport companies are owned by people with no CDL

Reply to
clare

True. I was just asking if he was still working on his or decided to become a business owner.

Either way he is still the responsible party for operational requirements under the law.

Reply to
Steve W.

On 6/4/2012 6:51 PM, Steve W. wrote: ...

He already was (a business, that is) and one doesn't preclude the other.

Guessing, while it's fun to play and clearly he does, it's become apparent to Iggy his time is more valuable in admin and policy role as opposed to labor. (And, if he's going to make a real business, that's probably the way it should be. The local equivalent here in the scrap business has become quite successful and altho he still works (at somewhere between 70 and 75) at the dirty end because he enjoys doing it and doesn't know different, the help are the ones who spend all day w/ the torches over the winter while he's either in the cabin or delivering. He does have CDL and does do a lot of driving still as he makes a lot of deals on the road, though. But, there's not a local large market here as where Iggy is located--100 miles is just the next little farm town out here and it's 300 or so to the markets, not just down the street.

dpb

The driver is the final authority - and ultimately the one responsible for "operating" the vehicle -HE gets charged for running without permit, running overloaded, running without insurance, whatever, just like HE is the one that gets nailed for speeding, missing a stop sign, or whatever.

Reply to
clare

I failed the driving test. Right now I have a CDL driver, and I have not yet found time to go for another test.

Reply to
Ignoramus15636

Yeah that happens. Did they tell you what you did wrong? Get in more practice.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, I went over the red line in the parking lot. Entirely my fault.

Ignoramus15636