Ford E350 Econoline questions

Ive been offered a 1989 Ford E350 van..1 ton, looooong bastard with a

5.8 liter engine. 91k on the odo. It had been purchased new by a company, retrofitted as a field demonstration vehicle for water well drilling equipment, and after a couple years, parked in the corner of the parking lot and pretty much forgotten about. Last time it had tags on it was 1998. Tires are pretty much rotted off, paint is oxidized in the California sun, but no rust. Inside is minty. Is paneled, with some oak cabinets and carpeting.

Has a full blown heavy duty receiver hitch, electric brake controller, what I believe is a big assed inverter to power demo equipement, dual batteries, dual gas tank$ and a bubble top to increase head room. No side windows in the body.

Sitting in the drivers seat...in the mirror..looks like Im driving a bowling alley...loooong bastard.......".give me 40 acres and Ill turn this rig around"....

My poor old Mazda/Ranger just turned 432,000 miles on the odometer. Last weekend, I put in clutch, pressure plate, slave, throwout bearing and the pilot bearing (which had disintergrated) . A compression test shows good compression on 5 of the 6 cylinders, with 35lbs on #1. Looks like it has burned valves on #1. I had the heads done last year......I did find an engine, owner claims it came out of a wrecked Taurus with 90k on the odo..which for the 3.0 engine, is just getting broke in. He owes me money..so I can get it and stick it in the Mazda. My mechanic says with the exception of tie rod ends..my truck is in splendid shape and should go another 200,000 miles no problem. Though it doesnt look pretty anymore...Im afraid to wash it..I suspect the bird shit is holding it together...and if I wash it..stuff will start falling off.....

Is that Ford something I want to get for use in my job as a service tech/plant maint tech? Gas for that 351...Im not sure what kind of mileage I can expect...15 if I drive easy? Or is that optimistic?

My idea is to find someone gutting a phone company van, and getting the bins, internal racks and whatnot..yanking the paneling and the wood cabinets and rigging it out. Cage behind the drivers seat etc etc etc.

Id park the van on the weekends at my RV here in So. Cal, and use the re-engined Mazda/Ranger to go home in at the end of the week.

My daily mileage averages about 100 miles per day. Will this van be cost effective? I figure Ill have to sink about $500 in it..new tires, 2 batteries etc etc. I think..its fuel injected.

Ive got a 1/2 ton Chevy van at home, dumps out the tranny fluid when its running. Converted phone company van, carpet kit..etc. I could use this. However its a 1984, with a 350 engine and needing one of the big picture windows needing replacement. Only thing holding in the glass is the tinting.

It too needs tires all the way around, battery and so forth. No idea how many miles it has on it..engine was replaced with a factory long block by the last owner. Its not been registered since 2000. If I was Tender with it..I was getting 15-18 mpg best as I can remember.

Id love to have another Ranger..late 90s..but buying one for cash is out of the question.

Any thoughts, suggestions, caviats etc would be appreciated

gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

You might get 15 with a wind at your back, going down hill; real driving will be lower. I had this engine in my '80 ford pickup. Got about 10 mpg. "The Kid" inherited this PU, pulled the engine and put in a high performance racing 351. He must have had 500 hp. gas milage actually improved.

OTOH, gas is still cheaper than car payments. I bet it would be a reliable unit after the required maintenance.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'd guess somewhere between Karl's 10 and your 15. About 6 months ago I bought '94 F250 with a 351 and tow package, which I think means it has a 4.10 rear end. I only drive it when I need a truck, so I haven't got an accurate fix on mileage, but it's pretty close to 15 mpg. I'd expect a van would be a couple mpg worse.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Be careful about the registratiion. California is hell on expired tags. If the vehicle hasn't been properly non-oped, I would guess it will cost at least a couple thousand to make the DMV happy. And they've changed the non-op rules a couple times over the years. It went from a permanent non-op to one that had to be renewed annually and back to permanent. And, of course, they didn't send out any kind of notification... I got burned about six hundred bucks worth on that one a few years back...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

After 7 years it drops off the system and when that happens non opp status seems to be assumed unless there is a stack of unpaid parking tickets.

Gunners biggest problem is going to be the sucky gas mileage. For some reason he will not get more than 10 MPG, and So. Cal traffic and that mountain called the Grapevine is probably going to create a southward sucketh effect on that estimate.

A hot ticket for a service truck is the Sprinter made by Mercedes, and sold in the US under the Dodge and Freightliner badge. These get an estimated 25 MPG and have the 5 cyl diesel that has a history of regularly nailing a half a million miles with out having to pull the head.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Find out which slushpump tranny it has- the E4OD is notoriously unreliable, expensive to rebuild, and good used ones are very hard to come by. They fail without any warning. If it has an "OD" button on the shifter or dash, watch out.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

7 yrs and its off the computer, last time I checked, so registration would be for the current year only.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

I have a E-350/Club Wagon 15 passenger, 351ci. It's the most loved vehicle I ever owned! It's a '98 that I got 2 years ago with 22k on it. It was never titled as it belonged to the Navy. I had to replace the Trans. last year when the torque converter blew and took out the trans. That was $2200. The tranny guy figures it never left a base and shifted millions of times. It handles well and rides nice. I get 12 city and 17 on long trips. Perfect for fishing trips with the whole crowd and all our gear. I also use it to pick-up 1700 lbs of brush blocks on occasion. I will replace this when the time comes with an exact duplicate.

If you get it, flush the trans, use synthetic oil, get LT tires on eBay.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

God willing..it will never go on the Grapevine once Ive got her fixed up.

Really? Got some links to them? Id love to see a picture/data

Know of any? Sounds great!

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Just look around while driving for any UPS or FedEx or similar trucks that appear to be really tall vans and chances are you'll find it's one of the Sprinters. There are a lot around these days.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

A lot of old UPS vans has a 4 banger Onan L423D (Cummins A2.3D) diesels like the one I fixed last fall/winter. Those could not be German.

Reply to
Ignoramus30426

Thanks!! Ill check.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner posted in rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 17 May 2007 17:16:11 GMT:

K. A. Cannon

Those look different, either like regular vans, or like regular step vans. The Sprinters look like an inflated regular van. As for being German, I believe I heard the Sprinters are made in Brazil.

Reply to
Pete C.

Merc sprinters are great vans and really fly.20-25 mpg on diesel.I prefer the Iveco Daily,similar fuel consumption.Do you get these out there? Mark.

Reply to
mark

Actually they are all made in Germany then the body is removed and the two pieced are crated and shipped to North Carolina for reassembly.

This is some method to avoid tariffs or some such reasoning.

As far as I know no car imported to the US market is made in Brazil.

Some like the dodge pick up is assembled in Mexico, but I believe that is as far south as it gets.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I couldn't tell you. I know I've seen Iveco stuff on the road, but I don't know any particular model.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I don't know what year it changed, but the current Sprinters have the same 3.0L turbo V6 CRD that's available for the Grand Cherokee.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

The mileage will depend on how much weight you load into it. If your gonna carry alot of heavy tools, equipment, and materials plan on less than 10mpg.

Unless you do all of your own repairs the cost of maintaining this almost

20 year old vehicle may equal the monthly payments on a new one.

The mileage on any E-250/350 new or old will be pathetic as you approach the full GVW

Reply to
Tony

I had a 1980 Econoline Super Van with the extended tail. It had a straight six and got horrible gas mileage, maybe 11 mpg lightly loaded. Not too bad overall, but the I-beam suspension in the front chews up tires and is not cheap to align. At work we just got rid of an '89 E350 with a blown engine and have a '90 that's been fairly decent. The sliding doors are typically problematic.

Reply to
ATP*