Karl -- Bought a semi tractor Ford L9000

1984 Ford L9000, two rear axles, 374,000 miles, $2,300. I think that they kept it inside their garage.
http://www.gaonlineauction.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?gaonline5/350/showall
I got a couple of questions.
First, I do not know how to drive anything with a stick shift. How hard is it to learn to drive this truck, with all those stick shifts, air brakes etc?
Second, is it possible or not to add a "wet" hookup to it, in case if I ever get a Landoll type of trailer with a hydraulic winch.
Third, is it correct to assume that I must obtain insurance on it prior to even driving it to my place? (seems to be a yes)
Thanks

Insurance is a must have before you move the tractor. A quick inspection by a mechanic before you drive it is a good idea.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

And you will need your air brake endorsement on your licence. And a licence to drive a semi, or articulated truck.Don't know what the licence is called stateside, but here you would need an AZ licence for that rig.

Here it is called a CDL.
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:28:18 -0600, Ignoramus6358

With air endorsement.? Up here you have A forSemi transport, B for coach, D for straight truck , G for passenger and light truck - and Z added to each for air brakes. Then there is M for Motorcycle, ML for limitited speed motorcycle, and a few others.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A (semi) always includes air brakes here I believe, B (straight truck) I believe is the one that may or may not include air brakes. C (regular car/van/pickup) as CDL only exists for placardable vehicles (hazmat). M is an add on motorcycle class.
I have a class AM license with TX endorsements and AP restriction. T=double/triple, X=tank and hazmat, A=corrective lenses (contacts), P=hazmat endorsement expiration different from license expiration (1yr sooner).

OK, thanks. Very exciting.

Also, can such a tractor tow a low boy trailer with a pintly hitch?
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:28:43 -0600, Ignoramus6358

You dog. Now I'm really pissed at you. I noticed the mn in the url. Was this auction in my part of the world?
I suggest that you get used to the tractor alone without trailer on back roads (if there is such a thing in Chi land). That's a lot a rig for an FNG.

I suppose you *could* put a pintle hitch on the tractor. But it would be really stupid with less manuverablity and less weight capacity. And you'd paint a target on your back for the law.
Karl

No, here in Chicago.

I have enough land that I own, near the warehouse, to practice driving.

OK... thanks a lot!
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:28:43 -0600, Ignoramus6358

If the frame is equipped with a pintle hitch, yes. And if you remove the fifth wheel the D Z licence here in Ontario would suffice instead of the AZ.
Ignoramus6358 wrote:

Not real hard BUT it does take a fair amount of practice to do it well. Hope you have your CDL, driving one without that can get you big money trouble.

Sure. Wet lines are nothing more than PTO driven hydraulic pumps.

Yep, you need insurance and if you plan on using it for business you want insurance for the trailer and cargo.

--
Steve W.

Ignoramus6358 wrote:

Air brakes are simple enough, but a bit touchy. CDL wise you mostly need to be able to understand the system and the required pre-trip safety checks of slack adjusters and air pressure build and leakdown rates.
Driving a manual isn't that difficult, but the semis are slightly different with double clutching vs. a typical manual pickup. The CDL books should have a decent explanation on shifting. If you can rent a semi with a semi-automatic transmission for your CDL road test it's a good idea, one less thing to worry about on the test. The semi-automatics are a bit of a hybrid, really they are a manual transmission with computer control. You still have a clutch, but you only use it when starting and stopping, after that the computer power-shifts for you. Pretty neat really, the convenience of an auto and the efficiency of a manual.
If you can I'd recommend learning to drive a manual on a pickup first since it will be a bit more forgiving of missed shifts and whatnot while you practice. I taught a friend how to drive a manual on my old pickup in a couple hours, and with that truck it didn't care if he missed and wend from 2nd to 5th when starting out. Normally you won't use the lowest gear(s) at all unless you are pulling a load, i.e. start in 2nd.

A wet line setup is simple enough to add, just a PTO powered hydraulic pump. The Landoll type trailers I've seen all had onboard engines for the hydraulics though.

Insurance, registration and state inspections I expect. Don't skimp, the fines would be big. The insurance won't be cheap either and your regular insurance agent will most likely be clueless. Search online on truckers sites for insurance companies that specialize in commercial insurance.
On 1/11/2012 4:22 AM, Pete C. wrote:

If you just want to get it to your place, get it towed. No licensing, insurance, etc. Just pay the towing co.
Paul
On 1/11/2012 9:02 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:

That, or find a buddy who has his CDL.
You don't have any alternative unless they're going to store it until you can get your CDL which isn't going to be overnight.
It's one of those things that the possibilities of consequences are simply too great to risk trying to teach yourself how to get it home on your own as a first experiment lacking past experience. If anything were to happen they'd throw the book at you (rightfully) and it's too big of a piece of gear that if you did have a problem the risk to others is too high as well.
dpb wrote:

How will that help? He still will need insurance, registration and inspection on the truck before anyone cam move it other than towing it.

He could get his CDL in a week or so if he wants, but he still needs the insurance, reg and inspection for the truck.

Certainly not a good idea in the nanny state Iggy is in. Somewhere like TX he would be more likely to get yelled at and have to tow it.
On 1/11/2012 10:02 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Sure, he needs to find out what he's got to have done before a temporary move; generally there are provisions in State statutes to deal w/ such things. That he's not a licensed driver for the class of vehicle isn't one he can massage around, though.
Simply another possibility to evaluate in his quest to get the sucker home...Iggy is fully capable of assessing.

I believe that the truck is current for inspection, having a 6/12 sticker.

Still not a good idea.
What if I find a CDL driver to drive it for me, though. Would it not be covered by his insurance?
Ignoramus8177 wrote:

That's going to depend on if he has his own trucking company. Most drivers do not have any CMV insurance policy, the company they drive for does.

Ilinois lets you keep the previous owner's inspection sticker?