How to buy a used forklift ?

Does anyone have any advise on buying a used forklift? I know what to look for in a used car, but I don't have the slightest idea about what to look for in a used forklift.

I've been looking for a sit-down 3000-5000 pound model. But there are so many models to choose from and such a wide price range--less than $1000 for a beat-up old one from a classified newspaper ad, around $5000 for one with a new paint job from a dealer, and around $10,000 for a factory rebuilt one.

Which brands are good? Some are made by automakers (Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Daewoo) and construction vehicle companies (Komatsu, Caterpillar). I assume these are probably good. But what about companies like Yale, Clarke, Hyster, etc? I've never heard of them. Are there brands to stay away from?

Is there any advantage to getting an electric model instead of a gas/propane/diesel one?

It seems that dealers like to specify the number of run hours instead of the model year. What is a reasonable figure?

What is a side shifter? I realize it moves the load side to side, but in what direction? If I were sitting in the seat and activated the side shifter, would it move the load parallel or perpendicular to my shoulders?

If I get an electric model, is there any advantage to a 3-phase charger over a single-phase charger? (Yes, I have 3-phase power.) Can electric forklifts be charged indoors? Do the batteries give off hydrogen gas like a car battery?

I realize cushion tires are intended for indoor use on a concrete floor. But can they be used occasionally on asphalt (for example if I need to go outside to unload a truck)?

My forklift will sometimes sit unused for extended periods of time. I know that gasoline and diesel fuel can grow a fungus when left to sit. Does this apply to propane? I also realize that I can rent forklifts (and even have them delivered). But I can't always predict my needs in advance and so I want to have one available when a need arises at the last minute.

A long, long time ago when I was in high school, I worked at a grocery store and occasionally drove a stand-up electric forklift when no one was looking. I remember the forks could be tilted vertically (ie. tilting the load and either causing it to hit the rack, or slide off the forks). Generally speaking, can the forks on a sit-down forklift be tilted too?

Are there places that give lessons on how to drive a forklift safely? The dealers? (But I wouldn't go to a car dealer if I wanted to learn how to drive a car.)

Any comments?

Reply to
AL

What type of fungus?

Stephen R.

Reply to
S R

Try this site to start.

For occasional use propane is an ideal fuel. It produces limited fumes so is acceptable indoors as long as you are not dealing with food products and you have some reasonable ventilation in the building. If you are a neophyte you should use a dealer with a good reputation. You could buy a forklift that would need repairs valued many times what you paid for it. Side shift moves the pallet left or right approximately a foot depending on the size of the forklift. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I usually see good models for $10,000-12000. Of course, the dealers know I influence purchase decisions and give a good price.

I like Toyota trucks, but also have had very good experience with TCM, Clark, Yale, Crown and Raymond. There are other brands and there has also been a lot of consolidation in recent years. For example, Toyota now owns a bunch of name brands.

Electric has the benefit of not needing to have tanks filled. In general, I think they tend to have less maintenance issues than propane, but that is just an opinion. Other things about electric that I can think of is that you don't smell like the odor agent added to the propane at the end of the day & with electric you have power on demand. Sometimes, you need to rev a propane truck's engine to get enough power to the hydraulic pump. I've not driven a diesel fork myself ... at least not that I recall.

The benefit with both diesel and propane is that that you can carry the fueld to the truck. With an electric truck you pretty much have to tow the truck back to where your charger and/or spare batteries are. Also, with an electric truck, if you plan on using it a lot, you need a spare battery and a hoist to get the thing in and out ... or however the battery comes out of the truck. You can charge batteries while in the truck if you have the time to spare.

The lower the hours, the better. Proper maintenance & rebuilds all affect this. Try and have someone knowledgeable look over a truck before you buy it. Also, try and get a warranty if you can - like a

30 day test to make sure it is okay.

A side shifter moves a load left and right a few inches. It's meant to compensate for having the truck slightly out of position. A pantograph, or "reacher", moves the load forward and backwards.

I really can't speak to the chargers in terms of 3 phase vs. single phase. You can charge trucks in doors and they can give off gasses. They should be well ventilated, have an eyewash station nearby, etc.

Yes.

I've heard of propane going bad over long, long periods of time but have never experienced it.

If you are going to rarely use the truck, you really ought to rent it. If you buy a cheap one, you may be buying problems. If you buy an expensive one, you have equipment idle. It's your call - I just wanted to point out my recommendation. If you're good with mechanics, then buy one and coax it along. Be sure to keep an eye on the hydraulics, brakes and do not disconnect any of the safeties for expediency.

Most trucks can pan the mast back and forth to "tilt" the forks.

BTW, a fork is considered a powered industrial vehicle by OSHA and technically requires a license.

Ask the fork truck dealer, or even call one, and ask for trainers in the area.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
George

The hydraulics and transmission are the key components to look at. There are both regular (i.e. clutch) and hydrostatic (no clutch) transmissions available.

Yale, Clarke, Hyster, Prime Mover are the main names in forktrucks.

Depends on the environment in which they are being used, and how much use they get.

Parallel to. So you don't need to line the truck itself up exactly with the spot in which the pallet is to be placed.

Yes. When driving with empty forks you should tilt them forward slightly and run the tips just at the floor.

HTH

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"AL" wrote in news:uiBTb.210166$xy6.1078731@attbi_s02:

What are you planning to use it for? Many are for outdoor construction, while others are for warehouse work.

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

I'd recommend one with an automatic tranny, that way you don't have to worry about a clutch when spotting a heavy load. I don't know if they make a 5000# cap model in electric, I doubt it.

If you go propane, plan on renting the tanks from your local weld supply with the monthly rental fee. Gasoline will be cheaper as long as you operate in a well ventilated area. Diesel is nice but a more expensive machine.

My Yale 5000# is a well used machine, but it has a simple Chrysler 6 cylinder engine, very easy to get parts for and repair. I paid $2500 for it.

Check out ebay to get an idea of prices.

Reply to
Tony

Yes they do, and larger.

Dave Miller

Reply to
Dave Miller

Im new to this group and have read a lot of guys get scolded for not putting OT in their subject surely this is off topic?

Reply to
joey

The only two issues that I know about are the result of my very limited experience operating one:

  1. If you are using it to lift parts into place and then attach them, make sure that the forklift will hold the forks stationary under load.
  2. If you buy a propane forklift make sure it will start when cold. The one I was using would not properly vaporize propane at low temperatures at startup. Once it was running, it was fine.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

No exhaust fumes, quieter. Good if you only need to use it an hour or two a day. If you need to run it all day, get one that you can refuel, rather than waiting for the battery to cahrge.

They can be charged indoors with good ventilation. They do give off hydrogen gas. Open the access panels around the batteries when charging.

No problem.

Where I live, both the local community college and an equipment rental yard offer forklift classes.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

From my experience, used forklift salesmen make used car salesmen look like paragons of virtue.

You'll pay less buying from an end user than from a dealer, in general. The dealer may, or may not, paint it. The dealer may, or may not, fix anything. The truck may, or may not, break when you get it home. The dealer may give you a warranty on the engine or hydraulics.

What to look for: does it run? does it smoke? do the brakes work? does it have the capacity you need? Does it have the lift you need? (you can find single, double or triple section masts). Are the tires good? Does it leak? Does the transmission work? What does the trans fluid look like? Can you get parts? How's the steering linkage? Any slop in the kingpins? Suspension work is a pain and, if you do it yourself, will probably mean pulling the counterweight.

Others may correct me, but what I remember from looking at this a year or so ago is Yale and Hyster are now owned by the same holding company. This is good, parts are available. Clarke was in bankruptcy the other year, trade in values had dropped to nil. Cat was importing a Daewoo lift and rebadging it, I think. There are a lot of old trucks around from companies that have disappeared: Towmotor, Allis Chalmers, Burke(?). Some of these trucks are 40 years old and still running, but parts may require some creativity.

You have to charge it. Batteries are expensive and heavy. Gas smells if you run it inside, ditto on diesel. When you run out of propane, you'd better have another tank handy. Propane tends to be nicer on engines.  >

What's your budget? Less is better, but costs more. What kind of maintenance did it have? If it came from a company that had a lift service handle routine maintenance on a regular basis, a high hour truck may be in better shape than low hours from someplace that ignored maintenance.

It moves the forks back and forth, parallel to your shoulders. That way you don't have to move the truck to get the forks where you need them.

As long as you don't run them on something soft like gravel or dirt. They'll just dig it. If you're on concrete or asphalt, it should be fine. >

No. It might leak out though if you forget to shut off the tank.

I also realize that I can rent forklifts (and even have

Hydraulics are the only way to lift things :-)

There is a tilt control for the mast.

You can also get manual or automatic transmissions. Manuals have fewer things to go wrong, autos are a little easier to creep around. Auto's have bunches of springs that can break as the truck gets older. With most trucks you can rebuild the clutch or trans without pulling it from the truck.

Check the manufacturers web sites. Mostly a lot of don'ts - don't take turns fast. Don't exceed the capacity, don't drive with the load high, etc. In other words: don't do anything dumb :-)

Reply to
Paul Amaranth

Propane trucks give off fumes but are best at long sitting without running. Forks shift parallel to shoulders. Forks can be tilted.Can be charged in building, but need ventilation because hydrogen is generated. Three phase chargers are cheaper to install and operate, smaller wire and conduit. Most industries now require fork truck licenses or certification. Should be available from local community college as a non degree seeking student.

Look for leaking hydraulic seals, cracked hydraulic hoses, hydraulic fluid drips, if fueled...leaks or corrosion in radiator, wobbles, pulsing, or jerking in steering, poor braking. It should have flashing warning light and beeper, save later lawsuits and required OSHA upgrades. Does it have a seat belt, I believe req by OSHA? It should have a working headlight. Does emergency brake work? If you are going off smooth or level pavement, buy one with GROUND CLEARANCE. Many trucks are only one inch off ground. Get easily stuck. Good luck

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Reply to
Bill Turpin

Let me preface all remarks by saying that I am a certified forklift operator. I operate a 5,000# capacity lift at the Las Vegas Convention Center, The Sands Expo, and many hotels in Las Vegas. I am on my third certification, and they are good for five years.

Same thing as a car. High hours. (easily disguised on a forklift by changing the hour meter.) Lots of wear on the moving parts. Signs of leaks. Signs of repairs, particularly welding. Examine it as you would a car.

You get what you pay for. Stick with a Toyota, Yale, or Hyster, IMHO. I drive those 8 hours a day.

We use Yale, Hyster, Komatsu, and Toyota forklifts. They are good names, although I do not like the old Komatsu stick shifts. If there is anything to stay away from, I believe it is a stick shift clutched forklift.

Electric forklifts are used in special environments, usually confined spaces, indoors and special environments. A diesel would be only used outside, as well as a gasoline model because of the exhaust. Propane lifts can be used indoors with ventilation.

The lower the better. Model year means nothing when put beside the hour meter. You can have a year old forklift with 2,000 hours on it, or a ten year old lift with 500 on it. Hours mean something. Model year means a lot less.

It shifts loads horizontally. It is a very useful control.

Electric lifts have a whole separate list of needs and maintenence. They also have different repair and replacement procedures. Yes, they can be charged indoors. Yes, they give off noxious flammable gases.

Yes, they run on asphalt.

You might consider a lease. That way, the leasing company maintains it, and you pay a flat fee or for the hours of use. You may have a better deduction factor with a lease instead of having to amortize depreciation on capital investments of a purchased lift. Check with your CPA for the figures.

Yes.

You would have to check that out in your locality.

Are you going to be the one driving it ALL the time. Just like you used to sneak a drive on the forklift, employees may do the same thing and create a huge liability for you. If you know so little about a forklift, and need one, I would hire an employee who is already certified. Your insurance company will probably require it. If you go and get experience, it will be at a cost. A lot of it is trial and error, and it will be on your stuff. Driving a forklift looks easy. It is not. It is hazardous, and the statistics are there to prove it.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The Army gave me a 4,400lb capacity rough terrain forklift and a license after 1/2 hour of instruction. Then I used it to move missile sections around. On snow and ice in Germany. Didn't seem too hard to me.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sounds about right. A brand new 3000 lb model will run about $17,500. they do not depreciate like a car due to model years, but hours is a more important factor.

Toyota is the top selling brand in the world. Most brands have components from around the world. Yale, as US brand uses Mitsubishi engines while Toyota is built in Ohio. I don't know of any brands to avoid. Just be sure the brand is still in busness, otherwise it will be hard to get parts if needed.

Electric is quiet and has no air pollution. Batteries and chargers are a few thousand dollars though. Unless you need electric, propane is a much better fuel. If it is used outdoors, gasoline is OK.

Engine hours are important. less than 10,000 is good. Look for signs of hydraulic leaks and see how the transmission feels. Steering should be fairly tight.

Side shift is a good feature if you are stacking pallets in tight quarters or need any degree of accuracy when placing a load. It moves parallel to your shoulders about 6 inches in each direction.

Yes, they are charged indoors. I don't know about the other factors.

Yes, they are made for most any smooth surface. Do NOT take them out on sand, gravel or dirt. Every year we get a new fork lift operator and we have to pull him out of the dirt outside the plant. The are very poor traction if the suface is wet. Downright dangerous in fact.

No, can sit for very long time.

Yes. Some of the new models have a fork leveling button. When travelling with a load you should have the forks tilted back. When you want to put it down, it can be difficult to get the forks exactly level. You hold the button on the lever and push forward and when the forks are 90 degrees, it will stop. You have to tilt the forks forward to pick up a load that is not on a pallet or to slide out from under a bundle.

Most dealers offer a safety course. OSHA requires a training course. You have to have a refresher every couple of years and you have to be trained in every model. You are supposed to run down a checklist every day before using it also. And now you are supposed to wear a seatbelt. -- Backup alarms are not required yet, but if you have more than one truck and one has the alarm, all must then have the alarm.

If you think buying a car is a fun time, forklift salesmen make them look like amateurs.

Other factors to consider are lift heights. The trucks in a trucking termnal are often single mast as they only lift pallets maybe 4 feet to stack inside of a trailer. Double mast allows a much higher lift; this is very common to find. Triple mast is higher yet. I'm not sure of the maximum, but the ones I just bought are 186" This is handy when you have to change lightbulbs in a factory ceiling or do overhead piping. You can buy a cage that goes on the forks to lift a man up.

For limited use, the "window" in the front is probably not the deciding factor, but if you use one a lot, it is a big help to have a wide window in the mast instead of looking at the cylinder. Makes for safer driving and more accurate load placement. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm sorry I can't help you out with details on forklifts (ask me about tractors though :-)) However, you might also want to check out the site: , they have a classified and photo classified section and often have a forklift or two for sale. It will give you at least another place to look.

No affiliation, just spend some time looking at the hardware.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I would guess that there's a big difference between using a forklift outside (which is what I assume a rough terrain forklift is used for) and running one inside a warehouse. I've seen plenty of walls with forklift-shaped holes in them and warehouse racks with forklift-shaped dents in them. It wouldn't take a lot of imagination to envision taking out a rack with enough force to topple it. Not to mention the risks when picking or placing pallets to prevent knocking other pallets off the other side, etc..

Reminds me of a time several years ago when I worked as a design engineer. I borrowed a stand-up forklift from the shipping department to move some lead weights in our test yard that we used to provide dead weight to test our products over time. While bringing it back, I had to go through the employee parking lot. I guess I had a brain cramp and turned the little crankwheel the wrong way and turned left instead of right. I came about an inch away from taking out the rear quarter panel of somebody's car.

todd

Reply to
todd

DO NOT go into a used forklift store without knowing a lot about the subject. My boss trusted the dealer when he bought a used forklift, and we ended up with a piece of crap that I'm sure the dealer was dying to get rid of. It was under warranty, but the service was slow and frequent.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman