How to open a Mosler safe with combination? (2023 Update)

I purchased this Mosler safe. As you can see, it is open and empty, so there is no hanky panky going on:

The combination, as written on the masking tape stuck on the safe, slightly modified to preserve all numbers order, is as follows:

R 63 L 47 3 turns R 25 2 turns L to 0

However, the safe would not open. I was once shown that the combo works, however, I cannot redo it. The safe is still open and I would like to figure it out.

If anyone can help me, it will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, guys!

Ignoramus32441

Where are you starting from? I think you may need to spin it L a couple turns to line all the disks up at the starting point before the first R

63.
Reply to
Pete C.

Mosler usually has a set number of turns on the first number as well. Plus the directions shown look backwards.

Try Left 4 turns to 63, Right 3 turns to 47, Left 2 turns to 25 then right 1 turn to 0 continue turning to the right till the dial stops and you can open the safe.

Reply to
Steve W.

Ignoramus32441 wrote in news:coCdnXgT4rx19ITSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The "turns" can be a bit misleading. I have had to deal with dozens of different flavors of locks over the years, and here is how MOST of them work:

Start by turning the dial clockwise (R) 3 or 4 times to get everything engaged internally. Stop at 63.

Turn the dial counterclockwise past 63 twice and stop at 47.

Turn the dial clockwise past 47 once, and stop at 25.

Turn the dial counterclockwise to 0.

Here's where it can get tricky. Some locks will just open at this point. Some of them you can feel something going on internally as the mechanism drops into place, and then you can open it. Wiggling the dial a tiny bit can encourage this event. Others, you actually have to backtrack clockwise a few digits to actuate something internally.

I've had success in contacting the lock manufacturer for instructions, and alt.locksmithing can certianly set you straight.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Doug White wrote in news:Xns9FE05DF2D3D55gwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.7:

Sorry, I didn't notice you has already crossposted there.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Steve W, your instruction was 100% on target! The safe now opens!!! I will save the exact instructions for the future, I am VERY VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Thanks!

Ignoramus32441

I better write that down in case I am ever in Illinois. It might come in handy. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
  • Bob La Londe :

I'm in the Chicago 'burbs, I know some gypsies...

Reply to
Kelly D. Grills

It would be especially handy if I provided actual numbers (see my first post).

Ignoramus32441

Aye, but look at it this way.. We now have a head start on figuring out the real numbers now.

Tom

Reply to
tnik

There is an automated CNC machinegun pointed right at the safe.,

Ignoramus32441

Ignoramus32441 on Fri, 20 Jan

2012 08:42:56 -0600 typed >> Ignoramus32441 wrote:

Keep it in a secure place.

Just don't store that note _in the safe_.

Just saying.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Maybe you have seen it already...

There is an old Clint Eastwood movie from 1974 called "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot":

They used a rather interesting way of opening/getting into the bank vault. Didn't have the action, special effects like nowadays, but I rather enjoyed it :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Who needs numbers? We'll just use your plasma cutter... :)

Reply to
Pete C.

As Richard Feynman showed, a 3-digit safe can be unlocked in minutes even if you don't know even one digit of the combination. 5-number combo safes take a little longer, he could usually get them open in an hour!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It isn't that hard to change those IF you needed to (I would since the original owner knows the current combination) You need the correct change key and the correct directions. Or just pay a smith to change it.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

In article , Leon Fisk writes

A movie classic IMO although I'm sure redneck america will object to Jeff Bridges' short lived appearance in tights.

Reply to
fred

OK, how much would it cost? Very interesting.

Ignoramus32441

Turn the dial to the right at least three complete revolutions.

Stop at 63.

Turn the dial to the left. Stop the THIRD time that you get to 47.

Turn the dial to the right. Stop the SECOND time you get to 25.

Turn the dial to the left. Stop the FIRST time you get to 0.

Then turn the handle and see if it opens. If not, continue to the left and the dial should stop within a short portion of a revolution. Then turn the handle to open the safe.

DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR until you have been able to successfully open it several times in a row with the door open.

-- Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - snipped-for-privacy@impulse.net Impulse Internet Service -

local telephone and internet company - 805 884-6323 - WB6RDV

Reply to
Jay Hennigan