Leak in a Hyster forklift

One of my forklift leaks. I would say, 3 ounces per night. Here is what I know:
1) The fluid is red colored 2) It does not seem to leak much when it is working
3) It occurs in the middle of the lift, closer to the back. Not from the mast.
It was hard to say where it comes from due to dirt inside. I power washed it today with hot water, and it may help with locating the source, but I want to check what are the most likely culprits.

I couldn't tell you what Hyster uses for that model (or even the model, since you didn't include it).
HOWEVER, a lot of hydraulic implements use common Type-F Automatic Transmission Fluid as the hydraulic oil. (some use common motor oil, too. There are actually a few that use 'real' hydraulic fluid, proper.)
Have you ever checked the color of the oil in the "fill here" port?
LLoyd
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:20:00 -0500, Ignoramus21579

ATF (auto trans fluid) and PS (power steering) fluid were usually red waaaay back when I wrenched. Now, PS fluids are all colors.
Watch your steering fluid level and your hydraulic tank level, checking each for their color as you go.
Let us know what you find out.
-- The greatest justice in life is that your vision and looks tend to go simultaneously. -- Kevin Bacon
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:20:00 -0500, Ignoramus21579

Most likely transmission fluid. Fluid is cooled through the radiator so it could be at any point to and from the tranny. A model and serial prefix would help

Most fork lifts are hydraulically driven. If they have a transmission at all, its a manual job just to change the ratio between the traction motor and the drive wheels -- but usually they do not have a tranny at all.
Likely as not, the red fluid IS the hydraulic fluid for the whole machine -- lift, drive motors, steering, everything. A lot of hydrostatic drive machines use Type-F ATF as the primary working fluid.
LLoyd
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:07:39 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

I guess I would have to dissagree with you LLoyde.
Iggy has a Hyster. Knowing the model would be helpfull but being a Hyster tech I'll wing it.
Most forklifts are not hydraulicly driven.
An electric lift could be driven by either electric or hydraulics, most are diven by electric motors because issues with heat. All forklifts have a hydraulic pump which is used to run the hydraulics.
An IC lift on the other hand will have either an automatic or manual transmission, The auto tranny will be cooled throught the radaitor while manual is internally cooled.
The model will determine what fluid is used to cool it.

If you're a Hyster tech, I'll defer to your judgement.
Lloyd
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:33:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Thank you sir. It really is difficult to trobleshoot something without a bit more info that Iggy has provided. I do enjoy electronics and metalworking and greatly enjoy your post.
jeff wrote:

Didn't Iggy mention this was a model with some sort of hydrostatic drive a single pedal for forward and reverse?

Jeff, I want to say that I GREATLY appreciate your contribution!

I think that you got it. It's got to be trans fluid.
This is a Hyster S50E, Serial D002D13868G.
i i
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:20:00 -0500, Ignoramus21579

If it makes you feel better, my hyster leaks here too. Mine comes out the hole in the bell housing. I'm pretty sure it the torque converter. I got a bid of $2000 to fix it. I do a lot of my own maintenance but not too exicted about taking a forklift apart.
I park mine on the dirt, now the leak don't bother me.
There just one oil for hyster, does both tranny and hydraulics.
karl
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:10:06 -0500, Karl Townsend

Its a big job. are you sure that it's not coming from on top of the tranny. I've seen oil flow a ways before it drips out of the bell housing

don't park it near your well if you have one

Not so

Sounds like you're an expert. Something I could use. This is my second shyster, the first leaked at the converter and I never knew it had a tranny fluid separate. A guy offered more than it was worth and it went down the road. This one is a manual with oil clutch, model 4000H, I think. It leaks at the bell housing too. Plus the clutch won't totally disengage even after adjusting the linkage as much as I dare. I can speed shift it but not get off with it in neutral and then put it back in gear. have to turn the engine off. maybe not that bad a deal but can be a pain.
How do you get to the clutch? Do you pull the huge counter weight off, then lift the engine out?
I'd actually prefer to fix up this old gal. Its got gasoline, pneumatic tires, and is just the right size for my needs.
Karl

Mine appears to leak near the starter, I must underscore APPEARS, as it may be leaking elsewhere. Hyster S50E.
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:59:47 -0500, Karl Townsend

Karl thanks for the kind words but I am far from being an expert... These freaking lifts seem to change designs on a daily basis and there is no way in hell one person could be an expert in all types configurations of trucks, That being said, model 4000H doesn jive.
If it's what I think it is then you have chain drive in the bell housing that powers the steering and hydraulic pumps. I would need to check with someone else during the week but I'm thinking that your transmission is an oil bath system. Everything including the clutch is in oil. There is probably a top and bottom plat on the bell housing to check out the pumps and chain drive.
The clutch will be similar to a car or truck, clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Sounds like the clutch is worn so the housing will need to come apart. Unlike a car or truck the bell housing is connected to the diff and motor. You could pull the mast then the diff to get to the bell housing but I would go for the counterweight, engine route. Either way is gi=oing to require a hoist of some kind..
Please recheck your model and serial # and I can give you a better diagnoses.
jeff

It says model H40F oil clutch serial B3D 7623P
Thanks for helping
Karl
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 16:45:08 -0500, Karl Townsend

As I thought Karl, I don't have access to anything that old on-line. I will do some checking to see if anyone has a sevice manual kicking around as well as checking with my bud sometime during the week.
replying to Karl Townsend, brefen wrote: One thing I can tell you about older HYSTERS with oil clutches is that it uses one tank, one hydro oil for everything. there's a spray nozzle that wets the clutch. A common problem with this configuration is that it uses a suction pump (jet pump in HYSTER terms) to evacuate oil from the bellhousing. it is prone to getting plugged by debris. When this happens, you end up with oil running out the starter housing. The jet pump is an aluminum boox attached the bottom side of the bellhousing. remove the return tube and clean the orrifice. That should solve your problem.

Jeff, I looked more closely after I washed it yesterday. I jacked it up a little bit.
The leak is, almost definitely, near where the starter connects to the motor/bell housing, and unlikely to be above that area, I think that it is at the bottom or so of the starter connection.