Leak in a Hyster forklift

Jeff, I used it to have my guy do compressed air piping near the ceiling.

I instructed him, in no uncertain terms, that he is NOT allowed to move this lift in a raised position. That is, he should lower himself, move the lift, and only then go up to the ceiling.

I think that the lift being unstable in a raised position, if it hits a pothole at a high enough speed, is a basic property of any lift, its center of gravity and the wheelbase.

So, the question is, as a seller of a used lift, what is my "duty of care", that is, what am I legally required to do to ensure buyer safety. I do not believe that I am required to perform an inspection, since I am not equipped with tools or knowledge to do so.

I am, certainly, required to 1) disclose all known defects and, possibly, 2) to warn the buyer to conduct a safety inspection prior to using this scissor lift.

i i i

Reply to
Ignoramus32296

Slow, straight line movement is pretty safe since the height to base width ratio front to back is pretty good. It's when you try to turn or hit that floor drain and tilt to the side where the height to base width ratio is much worst that things get iffy.

Well, the scissors type lifts with their pretty large height to width ratio are certainly far less tolerant of potholes or recessed floor drains than other types of lifts. The boom type lifts have much more counterweight and a larger footprint as well as a suspension system to accommodate some amount of uneven surface. As a general rule I feel safer on the boom lifts.

Reply to
Pete C.

On 3/18/2012 9:09 PM, Ignoramus32296 wrote: ...

As an individual I don't believe there's a legal obligation other than that of any individual in trade (essentially your last points). As a business entity is where, as noted before, I'm not so certain. Again as stated before, it was certainly strongly implied to me before that before the manlift I bought could be sold in IL it had to have a current certification. Now, it's quite possible that that is/was either:

a) A corporate policy of the particular broker/dealer (essentially a CYA position),

b) A requirement that is only applicable to recognized dealers of personnel lifting equipment and their ilk, or

c) Simply a misunderstanding and there really is no requirement.

I'd be quite certain that the argument in the first paragraph above would not fly if there really is a requirement--the requirement would be such that it would be the responsibility to see it got done, not _who_, specifically, did it. If it required an outside vendor to supply the surface wouldn't relieve the burden of not meeting the requirement.

I'd be in the position of trying to ascertain which case is actually applicable or whether the disclaimer is actually sufficient; it's one of those things that I'm personally somewhat anal about in trying to ensure that I don't have a liability that is potentially quite large looming. For example, I've had many requests about using the manlift but have adamantly refused other than to volunteer to do some work with it myself for various non-profits, etc., in town. But loan/rent it out? Not gonna' happen.

--

Reply to
dpb

On 3/19/2012 12:35 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Dang I hate it when I do that... :(

"surface" should be "service", of course.

--

Reply to
dpb

I posted this below in new thread to you and Karl and seeing as you didn't reply heres the gist of it.

Iggy, You on the other have the power shift tranny. Seeing as yours is leaking around the starter then you need to pull, rebuild/reseal your starter. Make sure that whom ever does it replaces the seal and gasket.... make sure they know that it is a wet bath starter. Your truck was classified as a BLACK&WHITE lots of them were made for the industry although I haven't worked on them much. I do have some pdf's which might interest you. Let me know.

As a side note the oil in this thing calls for J20C, OR J20A transmission oil which would be clear not red.. someone has added oil assuming that it was atm. I don't know if mixing it will cause a problem and couldn't get a firm answer either way but said if it were their truck they would change the oil.... you call. Also, if and when you pull the started, make sure everything is clean in the area.. dirt will mess you up in a big way on a unit this old. jeff

Reply to
jeff

replying to Ignoramus32296, jefferyray wrote: i have a 16000lb lift id say late 70s model cant find any numbers or tagsbut here goes my problem, over night a good 5 gallons of tranny fluid dumps on the ground but not while running. im thinking there might be a check valve that holds fluid in the mast thats faulty . its a wet clutch.and the fluid leaks whjwe the bellhousing and motor meet

Reply to
jefferyray

replying to Karl Townsend, brefen wrote: One thing I can tell you about older HYSTERS with oil clutches is that it uses one tank, one hydro oil for everything. there's a spray nozzle that wets the clutch. A common problem with this configuration is that it uses a suction pump (jet pump in HYSTER terms) to evacuate oil from the bellhousing. it is prone to getting plugged by debris. When this happens, you end up with oil running out the starter housing. The jet pump is an aluminum boox attached the bottom side of the bellhousing. remove the return tube and clean the orrifice. That should solve your problem.

Reply to
brefen