Leak in a Hyster forklift

Ignoramus32296 wrote:

Slow, straight line movement is pretty safe since the height to base width ratio front to back is pretty good. It's when you try to turn or hit that floor drain and tilt to the side where the height to base width ratio is much worst that things get iffy.

Well, the scissors type lifts with their pretty large height to width ratio are certainly far less tolerant of potholes or recessed floor drains than other types of lifts. The boom type lifts have much more counterweight and a larger footprint as well as a suspension system to accommodate some amount of uneven surface. As a general rule I feel safer on the boom lifts.
On 3/18/2012 9:09 PM, Ignoramus32296 wrote: ...

As an individual I don't believe there's a legal obligation other than that of any individual in trade (essentially your last points). As a business entity is where, as noted before, I'm not so certain. Again as stated before, it was certainly strongly implied to me before that before the manlift I bought could be sold in IL it had to have a current certification. Now, it's quite possible that that is/was either:
a) A corporate policy of the particular broker/dealer (essentially a CYA position),
b) A requirement that is only applicable to recognized dealers of personnel lifting equipment and their ilk, or
c) Simply a misunderstanding and there really is no requirement.
I'd be quite certain that the argument in the first paragraph above would not fly if there really is a requirement--the requirement would be such that it would be the responsibility to see it got done, not _who_, specifically, did it. If it required an outside vendor to supply the surface wouldn't relieve the burden of not meeting the requirement.
I'd be in the position of trying to ascertain which case is actually applicable or whether the disclaimer is actually sufficient; it's one of those things that I'm personally somewhat anal about in trying to ensure that I don't have a liability that is potentially quite large looming. For example, I've had many requests about using the manlift but have adamantly refused other than to volunteer to do some work with it myself for various non-profits, etc., in town. But loan/rent it out? Not gonna' happen.
On 3/19/2012 12:35 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Dang I hate it when I do that... :(
"surface" should be "service", of course.

Might that not be a hydrostatic traction drive?
LLoyd
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:53:27 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Best I can see is that its a powershift. It uses solenoid valves closed by the monotrol pedal to engage either forward or reverse. From there its a engine speed.
My earlier days as a cat tech taught me that a hydrostatic tranny has two variable clutch spools that vary speed as the pedal is pushed forward or reverse.
I will be better imformed within the next few days and will get back to you
replying to Ignoramus32296, jefferyray wrote: i have a 16000lb lift id say late 70s model cant find any numbers or tagsbut here goes my problem, over night a good 5 gallons of tranny fluid dumps on the ground but not while running. im thinking there might be a check valve that holds fluid in the mast thats faulty . its a wet clutch.and the fluid leaks whjwe the bellhousing and motor meet
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:20:00 -0500, Ignoramus21579

I posted this below in new thread to you and Karl and seeing as you didn't reply heres the gist of it.
Iggy, You on the other have the power shift tranny. Seeing as yours is leaking around the starter then you need to pull, rebuild/reseal your starter. Make sure that whom ever does it replaces the seal and gasket.... make sure they know that it is a wet bath starter. Your truck was classified as a BLACK&WHITE lots of them were made for the industry although I haven't worked on them much. I do have some pdf's which might interest you. Let me know.
As a side note the oil in this thing calls for J20C, OR J20A transmission oil which would be clear not red.. someone has added oil assuming that it was atm. I don't know if mixing it will cause a problem and couldn't get a firm answer either way but said if it were their truck they would change the oil.... you call. Also, if and when you pull the started, make sure everything is clean in the area.. dirt will mess you up in a big way on a unit this old. jeff