Clark Forklift help

Hi all,

I have an older Clark Forklift that I am trying to find help with. It is a model CL-4024, using a Continental F4124 engine. (2.1L/124cu.in.) The starter has been giving me problems, and I've tracked the problem down to the solenoid and starter drive gear.

The starter is an old Delco 1107010, but I'm having difficulty cross referencing that to anything that might actually be available. (FYI - was 6V, has been converted to 12V)

I don't really need the starter motor, but rather would like to find a replacement solenoid and drive gear, if possible.

I *have* taken a chance and ordered one of each from a local NAPA auto parts store, based on some research, some visual matching of illustrations, and some wild ass guesses, but would really like to be able to write in my manual that *this* part is available as *this* part nowadays...

Can anyone shed some light on what these items might cross reference to?

Thanks~!

Best,

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

I have a Delco, modified for oil clutch, starter in my Hyster forklift with Continental engine. Only available through Hyster for a fortune. So, I had a local starter rebuild shop go through it. bet that's your best option,also.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Why is a rebuild such a good option? I would guess that an automobile-type starter would work; unless there were "fit" problems.

Bob Swinney

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:qmqOh.17345$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I guess I'm lucky, one of the best starter rebuild services around is only

50 miles from me. Same place NAPA sends theirs to rebuild.

My special starter was $250 from Hyster. For $100, I had it rebuilt and upgraded. (stronger field coils) I'm a BIG fan of rebuilding a starter, all new cables and battery, if you want it to go at -30.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanx, Karl. I always respect your opinion.

Bob Swinney "Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:2QuOh.131926$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Well, the local starter shop rebuilt it a year ago. The starter motor is strong as need be, but the solenoid and drive gear are problems. The solenoid is weak, and the drive gear is ground down a bit. He didn't know where to get replacements. I asked.

Hence, my search for cross referencing parts that will work... Besides, I don't see the need to have a "starter shop" replace parts that I can easily replace if I can figure out what they are.

Thanks,

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

If you have any shops that repair tractors, water pumps, combines, welders, or similar equipment, they might help you. Those Continental engines were very common. They were even used in some small delivery vans, I think.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

There is a company in Long Beach, CA called Bern Forklift Parts that keeps most of the antique forklifts running around here. Try them for parts new, rebuilt and repro'd. The Continental engine you are refering to was used by nearly every American forklift manufacturer and Kaiser, Fraser and others. It is still easy to find parts if you look the right place. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

I used to have a '42 (I think) Clark Car Loader. If you have what I think you have, I may have a half-dozen drives and 2 starters. Can you send or post a picture?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Leigh,

Thank you very much. I will call them if Tom and the NAPA guy don't pan out. Actually, I'll probably call anyway, because my curiousity needs to be satisfied regarding a cross reference, anyway.

Thanks for the input~!

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

Hi Tom,

It's likely. Mine is a Car Loader, too. I'll take a few pics in a few days. I just had more hand surgery today, so won't be so eager to stick it in there to pull the starter out. :)

Thank you~!

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

FWIW the part # for the drive is: 18508544 If it has been converted to 12 volt, a generic solenoid will suffice.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Tom,

What is that part number from, please? Is that out of the Clark book, or something else?

Thanks,

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

It's from the Delco-Remy Parts Manual.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Excellent. Thank you.

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

You will have to poke me when you're ready.

Reply to
Tom Gardner