Toyota forklift with 14k hours

Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

Reply to
Ignoramus8377

When was it last overhauled? Items of concern would be hoses (radiator, hydraulic, brake, etc.), clutch, brakes, seals on hydraulic valves and cylinders and the like. If it was well taken care of it's probably in good shape.

Reply to
Pete C.

It looks recently overhauled and also looks like there are no major red flags on the side of seller.

Ignoramus8377

A 737 with 14,000 hours would just be approaching middle age. My point being that maintenance is everything.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I adore my Toyota! The only problem I've had was a starter solenoid. I traded my Clark, my Otis and some cash for it almost ten years ago. I got it from my forklift repair company, he said that I won't be seeing much of him any more and he was right.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Of the various brands of forklifts, the Toyotas seem to be the most "no shit" type of forklifts. Just gets the job done with minimal excitement.

Ignoramus8377

Mine has the side-shift forks, I never would have believed how handy that option is, I'd never again be without that!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We used the Toyota 3500# a LOT in the Las Vegas convention business. I enjoyed operating them. We had a team of professional mechanics, as they were all leased. I don't recall ever looking at an hour meter. Just turn on the gas and go. If it is in good shape, it should last a lot longer with the infrequent use you will probably give it. Those others were run 16 hours a day, and RUN HARD!

If you've ever been to a major convention in Las Vegas, you know what I'm talking about. We called it "controlled chaos." It was actually an intricate finely choreographed ballet. And only the best survived.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B