NSL: Manuver Complete

WHAT A WEEKEND!
First off, Many Many thanks to the volunteers that made NSL 2005 possible - first and foremost Bill and Anna Martinez for running
registration!
Chuck Pretto for the loan of the awnings for LCO/RSO, Registration, and the public viewing area (aka "the Cheap Seats"), tables and chairs for all of the operational needs.
Stephen Mickelsen and Ken Sparks for coordinating the Level certification flights (19!) for the whole weekend.
Andy McPherron for gathering all of the raffle prizes!
Phil Vanderschagen for running the website! www.nsl2005.org
Val Derkesh, Todd Mullin, John Lyngdal, and Andy Woerner for running the fun fly contests.
Mike Brock & Andy W for the PA rescue!
Matt & Beth Constabile of Quest for running 3 Freeblast (make n take n fly) sessions for the kids at NSL. Those kids will ALWAYS remember those salvo launches!
Gary Rosenfield of RCS for sponsoring the L1 and L2 Certification flights!
Warm thanks to Carlos Cisneros of Q96 and KROP radio stations for the promotional radio spots and the on-air interview on Friday morning.
Loc/Precision, Sunward, Fliskits, Aeropack, PML, Quest, Rocket-In-A-Box Polecat Aerospace, What's UP Hobbies, Discount Rocketry, Just Rockets, Nadine Kinney, and Recovery Technologies for their raffle donations!
EVERYONE THAT PULLED RSO/LCO SHIFTS!
It was a complete team effort where DART & TRASD really came through.
It was really nice to see old friends and new faces alike. The best part of rocketry IMHO. Jerry Michaels, Bob Sanford, Steve Lubliner, Larry Foster, John Suarez, Jim Sullins, Mike Worthen, Fred Schecter, David Erbas-White, so many that I can't possibly name all of them.
The best flight for me was the Vostok. Having put so much work into the design and building of that monster there is just something special about seeing it thunder aloft for the the second and last time.
The defining "NSL moment" for me was this morning when 5 year old Melanie (who attended one of the Saturday Freeblast sessions) put her launch card in the slot, bounded to the the controller, waited patiently for her launch to be called, flipped the select switch, armed the panel, raised her hand, pressed the button at "Zero" and turned the arming key off. All by herself.
That's what makes me feel like I've done something right.
The problems were few, the successes were many and spectacular. I am grateful for my friends in DART that put up with my silliness on a regular basis.
Anyone that would like an NSL t-shirt or 2" x 4" embroidered patch, shoot me an email and I'll get one to you for a bargain price + postage.
With all that said, there really is only one person responsible for bringing NSL to very So Cal:
Joanna Woerner
This great lady of sport rocketry laid the groundwork and convinced me to plan and run this thing. I couldn't have done a thing without the tireless dedication of the DART and TRASD members at NSL. I get a plaque but they deserve the accolades.
all the best,
Mike (still only Sparky 6.0 but not for the lack of opportunities) Jerauld LD NSL 2005
-
Michael Jerauld wrote:

It was great to put faces to many of the names here on rmr.
I'd like to add my thanks to Mike for everything that he did -- he really put forth a great effort to get NSL2005 up and running, despite the best efforts of the wind to stymie things on Friday.
I'd add that both Mike and Andy Woerner had to fill in for several LCO shifts during the event, due to the lack of people signing up to help. Folks, events like this don't work without everyone pulling their weight. There were a number of folks who DID volunteer at the last minute to fill in, but people really need to get involved ahead of time so that there's no last minute scramble for assistance.
This was my first 'major' event (I usually just get to the local launches), so I had a great time (even though I had to leave Saturday night). Other than Andy's great launches of the Shuttle and Vostok, one of the high points for me was getting to be LCO for Fred Schecter's Level 1 certification flight. After all these years of having Fred RSO my rockets at SCRA, it was fun to 'turn the tables', even if briefly.
One other 'original' flight -- someone had a two-staged rocket (I think it was I to I, but I'm not sure), that took off, then when the initial thrust spike of the booster passed, the booster and sustainer drag-separated. The high initial thrust kept the sustainer coasting, and the booster kept on flying PAST the sustainer (still stable). Then, just as the sustainer coasted almost to apogee, the sustainer lit, and 'raced' its own booster. The LCO (Andy?) announced it as the first time he'd seen a rocket drag-race itself...
Thanks to everyone for all the hard work that went into NSL2005 (and extra kudos to the ice-cream man who came out bopping across the desert in the heat <G>).
David Erbas-White

We recognized this problem the first time we ran NARAM, and came up with a simple solution: all participants must work range duty. It takes a lot more bodies to run a NARAM than a sport launch, with timers, trackers, data reduction, etc. At NARAM, EVERY contestant is required to work one range shift EVERY DAY. You do the same job all week, but your schedule rotates, so you're first shift one day, last shift another day, and middle shifts in between.
At NARAM, I usually end up as one of the 4 LCOs, simply because I built the panel and know how it works. Plus I get a job sitting on my butt in the shade! At sport launches, I usually volunteer for safety check, where I get to see old friends, and make new friends. And again, I get to sit on my butt in the shade!
For NSL, I would think that it's not out of line to insist that every flier work one range shift over the 3 days of flying. Without data reduction, maybe you don't need the army of kids as runners, but every adult should help out. One 2 hour shift over a 3 day event isn't too much to ask of any one. With only 100 adult participants, you'd still have at least 8 people to staff each shift.
Look at the typical NARAM registration form. You get to pick which jobs you'd like to do (or are qualified to do). The the organizer makes a schedule based on that. Schedule your best people for key positions and or key times. A good first shift gives everyone else an understanding of what each job does and how to do it. Often clubs volunteer to work a shift together. And never stick someone you don't know or don't trust in a critical slot just because they volunteered for it.
I don't know who will run NSL next year, but they really should try this. As should any one running a large regional launch. Or for that matter, LDRS.
"To enslave men, successfully and safely, it is necessary to have their minds occupied with thoughts and aspirations short of the liberty of which they are deprived. A certain degree of attainable good must be kept before them." Frederick Douglas, "My Bondage and My Freedom," 1855
ahh whats the penalty to the contestant who refuses to help? I don't see anything in the pink book that says a person is required to do range duty..
perhaps a disclaimer should be used? If you refuse to do range duty, then you must pay a $X fee to the NARAM organizers?
shockie B)
writes:

shockwaveriderz wrote:

to do

then
Actually there have been NARAMs in the past that stated you must do range duty or you won't get points! I have seen contests brought to a standstill for lack of range staff, the only fair way to hold a contest is to have everyone help!
Dale Greene

Sounds reasonable to me. Heck, we're willing to help any way possible, at any meet or launch we attend. We like pulling our own weight.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

You could have a contest to see who can make up the most rules. There would be a lot of competition for that one.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

If there was a contest to see who could break the most rules, you would win, hands down.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

How about a contest to see who broke the rules and contributed the most in fines to DOT?? (:-) I bet you could even win that one..
Fred

Boeing has a huge lead. You are not harassing THEM every day on the internet.
Jerry

Do you have any credible sources to back that up?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

I make it a practice; "not to bite the hand that feeds me". What have you done for me lately? Better yet, what contribution/s have you provided the hobby lately, except "contribute 40 gran to the man", and in the process provide negative press to the DOT on behalf of the hobby??????? Remember, as one DOT official put it during a conversation; " Mr. Irvine, by his actions and resulting assessed penalties, has probably eliminated any possibility of relaxing DOT shipping exemptions for the hobby rocket motor manufacturing industry".
Fred

Is that press? You seem confused.
"possibility of relaxing DOT shipping exemptions for the hobby rocket motor manufacturing industry".
Oh, cool, what possibilities?
Be specific.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

How about "less than positive example"?? Are you less confused now?? (:-)

Would you like to have someone from DOT call or contact you directly, with the information???

Fred
Jerry Irvine wrote:

most
The big difference, Jerry, is Boeing admitted their mistakes and paid their fines. And they're still in business!!
Care to take another crack?
Admittedly, a battle of wits with Jerry is taking advantage of a man who is only half armed...
steve

Yes.
Wallace said:
"How about a contest to see who broke the rules and contributed the most in fines to DOT?? (:-) I bet you could even win that one.."
You concede Boeing paid more in fines. Therefore Boeing wins Fred Wallace's contest. His employer.
Fact.

Then how did I just win this volly?

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Let me make it clear for you: I am referring to those businesses and individuals within the hobby rocketry community; but you knew that didn't you "big fine irvine"?

Being assessed $40 gran in DOT fines...
Fred

..
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Just in case you missed it:
Let me make it clear for you: I am referring to those businesses and individuals within the hobby rocketry community; but you knew that didn't you "big fine irvine"?

Oh wait. YOUR employer is the exception to YOUR rule :)
How about you post links to some of their fines :)
BIG FINE FRED.
Jerry