Ford Methods and the Ford shops

As once proud & uncontested US car manufacturers are heading for sure collapse, one can find some solace in this excellent book, way back from the
years of yore .
As it could've been only done back in beginning of century, they disected everything a gear head would want to know about how they manage to mass produce the cars before CNC (and 1 cent/hr labor, in 1915 US$) were discovered.
In the first page they also mention how Ford voluntarily, w/o being ever asked for it, unilaterally reduced workday from 9 to 8 hrs and increased pay to his workers. Sent quite a shockwave throughout the world.
Free, at Google Books. You can DL it as PDF too, for off-line perusing.
I can't wait until no cars at all are made in this country anymore. Most other places in the world, you can buy small heavy fuel-efficient trucks. Not here. The fleet is massively more fuel efficient everywhere else too. Ford, GM and Chrysler absolutely deserve to go out of business, and every US consumer will benefit.
Not everything about offshoring is bad. I love how people bitch about jobs going to Asia, typing the postings in on a low-priced computer that they can afford because it was made overseas.
GWE
rashid111 wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:22:04 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Hey, it's the fickle American heart that causes the problem, Grant. The buyers drive the machine that builds 'em. Write to Ford, GM, and Chrysler with your concerns. With enough input, they'll test the waters. I'd love to have a little diesel pickup which could drag me around quickly and nimbly, carry a ton or better, get great mileage, and ride like a car (or my current '90 F-150 pickemup.) Oh, I want it cheap, too, and without a bloody -gray- colored interior, please.
Lose the Unions and we'll get better built cars for less money. Change the medical community and we'll all get cheap healthcare, too. Trim the legal community and everything will be friendlier, cheaper, and nicer. (POP, and then he woke up from the nice dream.)
Pop those on your New Year's Resolutions list, wot?
Nappy Hoo Year!
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:40:54 -0800, Larry Jaques
<snip>

<'snip> People can't buy what the corporations won't/can't build.
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:47:05 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, F.

Ask Ford and GM how many requests they received for heavy small trucks which get good gas mileage and I'll bet they can answer on one hand. They need to perceive a need, which they'll fill...if it's profitable. Mass producers need large NUMBERS before they jump to it.
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
Larry Jaques wrote:

I disagree.
MUCH, MUCH more profitable to sell you that larger truck. If they get the request, they will percieve it as a potential buyer for a bigger truck, that needs more "marketing" If $500 worth of marketing will sell a truck for $20,000 more than a light cheap truck. Do it! To think otherwise is naive. Pete

As Henry Ford II said sometime in the late '50s or early '60s, "Small cars, small profits." Their system is geared toward making big margins per unit (which they no longer do) and a lack of competition for anything else (which they no longer have). That's oligopoly for you.
-- Ed Huntress
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:31:22 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

==================Better small cars and small profits than big cars and big losses...
This was not a "Pearl Harbor" as it took 30 or so years to get to this point.
Is it time to prohibit the MBA along with DDT, asbestos, lead, and Alar as a public health threat?

Old ideas sometimes die hard. The US car industry carries such a monstrous burden of overhead that it may be true that they always have to chase the most profitable segments of the business and let the rest go. That's fine when oil is cheap and the economy is percolating along. But any monkey wrench can jam the gears of that machine.
Think about what it would take to revolutionize the US car industry. First they'd have to slough off the legacy of enormous retirement and health benefits -- which add an estimated $1500 to the cost of producing a car and which many foreign competitors escape entirely, often because their governments pick up the costs. Then you'd have to recover the costs of a lot of old plants. And so on.
The US car industry will have to be reborn. Maybe it can happen. Maybe not.

I think you're too inclined to blame MBAs when the real culprit is institutional stock holders, George.
-- Ed Huntress

That $1500 is why Detroit makes big, expensive cars. Easier to hide $1500 in a $45,000 vehicle than in a $12,000 dollar one. It is also why you may have such a frustrating time repairing one since anything that makes it cheaper/easier to service that adds cost is likely to be eliminated in continuous cost cutting.

As far as being reborne, maybe after the bankruptcy auction. Now who and what country will own each former firm is up for grabs.
Wes S

Hey, ED I think you got that right! Them smart drugs are working. Now get dig Pharma to dump them in all the drinking water <G>.

The whole thing for Big Pharma is figuring out how to get the payers on board. I don't think you'll get the HMOs to go for it. Should we sell shares, maybe, in the local water supply? <g>
-- Ed Huntress

Never get the HMO's on board ED. If people got smart they would see how much the health co's are screwing them. Why people that work for companies that have "Free" health ins are to stupid to think just how much lower their wage is for that "Free" health ins.
I know I pay $20,000 a yr to Blue Screw.
F. George McDuffee wrote:

30 years? Hmm, let's see. We got that 1973 Dodge Dart just over 30 years ago, so you are right on the nose! What a PIECE of KRAPPPP! They only had one set of brake cylinders/master cylinder for all options. But, you could order a slant 6 with no power accessories, or a 318 V-8 with A/C, power steering, power brakes, auto trans, etc. and add close to 1000 Lbs to the front end of the thing! When you got one like that (we did) it was lighter in the back than a pickup truck with nothing in the bed. Just put your foot near the brake pedal and it would start swerving. Drive it in icy weather? Yikes, it would skid when you took your foot off the GAS!
And, that first-generation unibody? I learned to hold the wheel at 3 and 9 O-clock with my very fingertips when going over railroad tracks. Otherwise it was like holding a jackhammer!
Jon

Marketing must explain why there are so many drivers around here that were duped into buying Expeditions when what they really wanted was a Ranger...

That is why you can't buy a MB/Freightliner/Dodge Sprinter van for a decent price. No competition. There aren't any trucks made here that can make the mileage the Sprinter does. Advertised mileage in the Sprinter brochure ranges from 20-30 depending on model and load. You can't even buy a high top Chevy without going though the aftermarket. The only thing the Chevy dealer has is their $28,000 van is wider and has a few more horses. Advertised claims of mileage don't exist because over 3/4 ton it isn't required but real world for a Chevy with a Duramax seems to be 14- 15 loaded. Steve
Larry Jaques wrote:

Fuel cost is a BIG deal to the over-the-road truckers, which gobble huge amounts of fuel per hour at 60+ MPH. But, it must be a lot less important for delivery trucks. The only outfits that seem to take this seriously are UPS and Fed Ex, which design their own trucks. UPS runs Diesel-like engines on compressed natural gas. They are looking into hybrids for their next generation.
Jon
Jon Elson wrote:

Neither of them design their own vehicles. They buy through contracts from places like Grumman/Olson, Utilimaster or Union City. They spec the colors and the interior racks and what engine they desire from a list.
USPS, DOES design there smaller city delivery rigs, those are made by the same company that developed the original Hummer. GM. They use the S series drive train with a CNG conversion on the engine.
Over the road Owner Operators worry about fuel mileage a lot, however there isn't a lot that can be done beyond what has been done already. Delivery drivers don't worry because they pass the price on. The OO cannot since he will price himself out of a job.
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:58:43 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon

They're running some now. http://www.socialfunds.com/news/article.cgi/article1138.html
Maybe the ZAP was what Grant wanted. <bseg> http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id90 http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id872 Hmm, one of these might work for me around town...
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 07:32:53 -0800, Larry Jaques

=================True but not correct.
In many cases Ford and GMC produce these vehicles in large numbers, but for the European/Asian market. A prime example is Diesel powered vehicles. Go to the Brit websites to see what is available.
All it takes is legislation by Congress that any vehicle that meets EEC emissions/safety requirements meets US emissions/safety requirements, including California, with a mandate to import.
You will however ride a flying pig to work before this happens.