WTB a couple of length gages

I want to buy a couple of gages with some known lengths under 1", close to one another. The purpose of this exercise is to test an enormous Pratt and Whitney supermicrometer. Anyway, if anyone has a couple of gages lying around doing nothing, I could buy them from you.

Ignoramus5920

I think you want "Gauge blocks", you should be able to find them on ebay or wherever with those terms. I believe you can also buy individual gauge blocks from MSC or McMaster vs. the expensive sets.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

You don't mention what kind of precision you need but you can get just about any degree of precision here

be sitting down when you catch up with the prices.

Reply to
Ken Davey

The prices are kind of shocking... I was hoping to find someone who would have a couple of blocks like .356 and .357 or whatever, sitting not needed who would want a few bucks for them... Anyway... I got that supermicrometer to work, it is a fun piece, very similar to ebay item

220063102787. I think that it goes down to 0.00001" with the vernier scale. i
Reply to
Ignoramus7797

Reply to
M Berger

Such a method wouldn't reveal anything of importance. Supermikes are used for calibrating gages, even thread plug gages, so the degree of precision is far beyond anything you might accomplish with scrap pieces, even nice ones. To be of value, the gages should be calibrated and certified. Checking the supermike to see if it works is a no brainer. Close it down on cleaned spindles and anvils. It should zero. Anything further would require something certified in order to be of value.

I'm open to different views. My forte was not QC.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

What's with their idea of $40 for packaging? Is that not an attempt to avoid paying Ebay fees?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's not my auction, it is someone else's auction.

Sorry, I was unclear, I was only giving it as example of what I have.

To defend the seller a little bit, this is a 120 lbs (55kg) high precision item that requires very delicate packaging and freight shipment, possibly delivery to a shipping terminal.

Ignoramus22865

Me sorry as well. I wasn't having a go at you Iggy, I was pissed (as I always am) at people who sneak extra charges in. Put it in the start price or put it in the shipping, but don't put it in as an additional fee for something that is the sellers responsibility anyway.

Bah Humbug! Shopping at goodwill to everybugger.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yes, that's sometimes annoying. In case of freight though, the efforts to get the item palletised and shipped may require extra charges.

I usually have freight terms that state that local pickup is [always] free, but palletising and delivering to local freight terminal costs from 50 to 100 dollars. i prefer local pickups.

Ignoramus22865

===================== Pin guages are another possibility. Try to get 4 such that you go 1/4 spindle turn between pins. Pins will also let you check non-parallel and grooved faces.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Reply to
M Berger

Yes. I charge at least $50 for "crating and delivery to local shipping terminal". Would not want to do it for free. Of course I have free local pickups on every item. I actually have a bunch of cute metalworking related freight shippable items on sale right now. (5-6 or so).

Ignoramus12987

Yup... we recently paid $600 crating charge for our last Stokes tablet press.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hm, how big is that press, $600 is a mightly high price to palletize it.

Ignoramus12987

4200 lb, and occupies about three cubic meters. $600 is a lot, but that's what the Unions in NJ charged -- non-negotiable; either pay, or come do it yourself. Then, of course, if you try to do it yourself, and you get caught crating something in a Union Shop - and you're not a Union Carpenter - you get prevented from moving the item. We got a direct bill from the carpentry company, rather than from the shipper. 'Pisser, but unavoidable.

(full crate, by the way, not just lashed to a pallet. The damn box took us an hour to disassemble.) (and though I hate being "boxed in" like that, they did a really good, rugged job of it... almost like they knew what they were doing)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's quite reasonable. I was thinking of something a lot smaller.

That's the complaint I received about one of my crates... It was built too strong.

Ignoramus12987