Wire hose clamp tools

cross posted to alt.machines.cnc

A few weeks back there was a thread on making hose clamps out of wire.

The January 07 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a full page review on their back page of an instrument that uses medium (0.032) and heavy(0.041) safety wire. Not cheap at $30 to

150$US, but then good tools are seldom cheap.

goto

FWIW I find MCN to be a valuable source of information on motorcycles and related topics. No advertising.

Motorcycle Consumer News

goto

F. George McDuffee

That's a pretty slick tool, but it won't work in the tight spaces on my bikes or most of the hoses on my cars.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Before investing in this tool, I'd get "endless" hose band ("Band-it") or similar. The wire just cuts through the hose by the time. There are two types of hose bands. One threaded and one plain. Got a supply of the plain one from my army-time that still serves me very well.

The Band-It needs a special expensive tool, but there are others that look similar and need no extra tools.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

("Band-it") or

Band-IT is very good in the larger sizes whereas I suspect the wire system wins on smaller hoses. Both need significant space around the joint to make the fastening (which is where Jubilee style clips win) - no problem on a single hose to pipe transition on the bench but a pain installed on a machine with no space to twiddle the tool. I recently had a situation with Jubilee style clip in a strong alternating magnetic field, that was getting hot enough from the induced currents to melt the nylon pipe! I replaced the Jubilee clip with a nylon "Herbie Clip" which has a pair of interlocking alligator mouths that you squash together - neat fastening but takes quite a bit of squeezing to fix.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson