A couple of questions

A couple of questions if I may.

Firstly, point motors. For 00 mounting under the base board, what is currently good (and bad) ?

Secondly, I'm trying to add a DCC decoder to a Bachman Pannier (32-206). It works, but the problem is where to put the decoder, it doesn't look as though there is space inside the body for the decoder (and it is sold as DCC ready, so I assume they are expecting people to chip it). Has anyone tried to chip one of these, and if so, where did the chip go ? A rummage through google and a couple of forums leaves me none the wiser.

TIA

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Why not ask Bachmann? I find them very helpful!

Reply to
Sailor

Try TCS pages at

for examples.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks, a link worth hanging onto.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks, I will. Past experience of larger companies suggests that such questions will get filed under "too difficult/not worth the bother", I'll let you know how I get on.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian -

Point motors: if you are after a double solenoid type, I use SEEP and am very happy with them. If you want slow action ones, Tortoise seems to be the current brand of choice, followed by Lemaco and/or Fulgurex.

Pannier: I haven't chipped a modern Bachmann one, but when I fitted an old Mainline one that has a Bachmann split frame chassis I put the chip inside one of the pannier tanks.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
John Nuttall

Servos are my point motor of choice. Micro versions are ~=A32.50 each from Hong Kong via Ebay.

They need a little extra mounting and a little more electronics but well worth it, IMHO, and cheaper than Tortoise when the whole system is taken into account.

No CDUs required, no heavy wiring, almost silent operation compared to the clunk of a twin coil.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

John Nuttall writes

Thanks (and to MBQ), I'll have a look when I get half an hour.

Quite different to the current offering. The tanks (and smokebox) hold the ballast.

Bachman got back to me Yesterday. It seems that I need a special decoder, which by the sounds of it goes straight into the socket rather than sitting on the end of the lead.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian
.

Et voil=E0! I find that they usually come up with the goods at Leicester as do Hornby but a little slower!

Reply to
Sailor