Can't edit sketch pattern

I have come across a number of parts recently that use sketch patterns, that were created by former colleagues. I've never used this function before, as I've always tended to use feature patterns, so that fasteners etc can quickly be added to all the holes with a component pattern.

Firstly, is there any advantage to using sketch patterns, other than it's one less item in the feature manager tree?

Secondly, how the hell do you edit them? If I RMB on a patterned sketch element and pick "edit sketch pattern", I can change the number of instances, but the spacing value is greyed out in the feature manager - why?

TIA, John H

Reply to
John H

When you edit the skecth, look for dimensions that control the spacing. Also look for constraints that may control whether the pattern is rectangular, or where the center of the circular pattern is. Basically, when you create the patterns, it lays out the spacing as you input the dialogue box, but, does not constrain to those inputs. You do that after you exit the dialogue box with dims and constraints. Kind of odd, huh?

Aaron

John H wrote:

Reply to
Aaron

Thanks for the replies.

It's weird that you have to add dimensions and other constraints to fully constrain the pattern - it's not consistent with the way Feature and Component Patterns work. Anyway, you've solved the problem!

Thanks, John H

Reply to
John H

All I've ever seen is disadvantages to sketch patterns. One big one is that sketch patterns are slower to rebuild than feature patterns. Not a big deal on small, simple patterns, but it can be huge on large or complex patterns.

Jerry Steiger

Thanks for that - I'll definitely stick with feature patterns on anything modelled from scratch.

John H

Reply to
John H