Smart features and controlling the driving sketch ...

Someone just pointed out something to me on these smart features of smart p arts. So far I have only used smart features for panel mounted components so they will automatically cut same mounting holes. Now one of my engineer s decided not to move the component in the assembly and updating the smart feature. He just went to the part file and edited the sketch. This allowe d him to edit the smart features sketch outside of the smart feature contro ls. And you can guess what happened, the panel component did not fit into the newly defined hole. So what we have is when you use a smart component the sketch for the cut fe ature on the part is undefined in the part file so you could move it. I di d not know this. Also I do not find a way in the existing part to repair w hat was done without inserting another component and run the smart feature on it. I cannot find a way to revert the sketch to the original defined pr ofile. So the question is, if you use smart parts/features, how do you lock down t he driving sketch so you cannot edit in the part level model and would forc e you to edit in the assembly. I can fix the sketch entities but that will not allow you to move the part in the assembly and have the cut feature fo llow. I can freeze the features in the part level feature tree but I end u p with the same situation. Now I have re-iterated to this user on our CAD policy of only editing these items from the assembly. I am sure that I will have to do an internal use r group meeting on these features. What do you do, that is if you use thes e smart parts/features?

Reply to
Haiku