Is it possible to insert a sketch create in an assembly to a part environment?

Greetings:

Instead of sketching new entities from scratch to create an extrude cut for a "bottom wire clamp" part, I would like to re-use edges, create a sketch from the "top wire clamp" and bring it over to "bottom wire clamp" part.

I can mate the 2 parts and create an extrude cut in assembly environment; however, the extrusion will cut thru other area in the top part as well. Also, I am not sure if the cut will update if the the bottom part has been modified.

What would you do in this case?

Advance thanks for your suggestion and help.

Reply to
John

Sounds to me like an in-context (top down) application. The idea there is that you base the parameters of one part on the features of another part. As the parent changes, so does the child. As far as cutting, one way to control that is to create your planes where you need them and then convert edges onto them.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

If you are trying to build a part using features from another part, not make an assembly cut, then you need to edit the part you want to modify in the assembly. Then make a sketch, convert edges from the other part, and make the cut. Now your cut is part of the part, not part of the assembly.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger