Assembly modeling - copying a part?

Here's my situation.

When i'm modeling an assembly, i'll usually be in the assembly.. then create a new part to add to the assembly (insert -> component -> new part), then start modeling, still in the assembly. Then when i'm done, i'll go back to the assembly level, and create a new part. etc, etc.. I'll sometimes create external references in the process, but thats fine, i want this as i have reference planes in my main assembly that i want my parts to follow. Also when creating a part (for reference, this is mostly woodwork, 3/4" panels, etc) i'll sometimes 'extrude to' a surface of another part, just so that if that panel is ever further away from it, it'll still extend to match, etc.

Now, if i end up having say, a box.. I'll create my bottom, my back, then one of the sides. For efficiency in manufacturing, i'd like the other side to be identical (in fact, i want to use the same part file so that our CNC system recognizes the duplicates), so i'll go ahead and use a copy of that first panel, and mate it into position. I'll usually only do this when i know that those panels stay identical if i have to change the dimensions of the bottom or back.

Now say i have a panel in between these two sides, thats also identical. so now i have 3 identical panels, one of them being the 'original' with the 'in place' mate, whereas the others only have mates, and their geometry comes from the original. Now i'll continue working, adding say.. doors, a counter top, etc.. If at one point i need to add a hole to one of these panels (and not just at the assembly level, it needs to be in the part, since we CNC cut everything and it only loads the part, not the assmebly). What would be the best way of making that modification? Have i painted myself in a corner? If i open my original panel, make a 'save as' and replace my panel in my assembly with this new 'copy', i'll have likely lost my external references, but at least i can add my hole without it affecting the other 2 panels. This sounds incredibly iffy to me.. if ever my bottom and back change shape.. this panel probably wont follow the shape of the other panels.

Have i gone about it in the wrong direction from the start? what should i change in my procedure to allow me to make these kinds of changes in the future of the modeling process. This mostly happens for holes i need for wiring, so i don't know where i need them until my model is almost done. At the same time i don't want to create half a dozen identical panels as separate parts if i don't have to, it's much more efficient to know i have 6 x 24"x12" panels, than to know i have

1x 24"x12" named as part 1.. 1x 24"x12" named as part 2.. etc, all being identical anyway.

Thanks for any insight into this. Dont be afraid to get technical, i've been using SW for years, but i've never been able to wrap my head around a procedure that would work in my situation without adding alot more work.

Thanks

Andr=E9 Richard

Reply to
Refracted

can you just create separate configurations in the said part for your holes?

search the help file for "C> Here's my situation.

Reply to
tnik

Good question. I'll have to try that.

Actually, i think i can but i'll have to try it.. We use BOM's as a cutlist and each part has their information (X, Y, thickness, material, description) saved in some custom properties, i'll just have to make sure for those parts that they use configuration specific custom properties. I dont think i'd have any other issues.

When you mentioned configurations, my memory was jogged in that i think i had tried it at one point, but i cant remember why we didn't go ahead with it, there might have been some sort of technical problem but i cant see what offhand.. seems to make sense that it would work.

Thanks,

Andr=E9

Reply to
Refracted

Andre,

Use layout sketches where it is applicable, that way you don't lose the references.

ca

Refracted wrote:

Reply to
clay

Configurations are also a great solution, but you will need to learn a whole new skillset, and be very very vigilant. SW has some odd rules for how it treats references in configurations. And no, I can't explain the rules either.

ca

Refracted wrote:

Reply to
clay

You could try using insert-part as a way to share the common data...

example:...

..

Reply to
zxys

This might spart a debate...

Do NOT use part-to-part mates unless it is absolutely necessary. Do NOT refer part geometry to other parts at the top level assembly.

What you should do it create top level reference geometry (sketches and planes) that every part and sub-assembly in the assembly refers to. This allows you to change, substitute or delete any part at any time without the risk of anything in the assembly breaking. This concept takes some getting used to and it does take more work to think throught and setup the first time you do it, but it really works much better than relating part features and mates to other parts.

-Martin