[SOLVED] Can't remove key from re-keyed deadbolt

I'm installing new locks and deadbolts on a house. I bought Schlage locks at home Depot, they had to rekey the deadbolts, one of which is double keyed.

The key slides in smooth and the deadbolt turns freely from both sides. But from the outside, the key won't come out of the lock. I have to mess with it. Jiggling the key sideways works after a few frustrating minutes. It works fine on the inside lock.

I've tried loosing all the screws, moving it around a bit, and even trying it with the screws loose. As best as I can tell it is not in a bind or rubbing.

Does this sound like an error made by the locksmith at Home Depot, or is it likely something else?

Reply to
Tony Sivori

take your fingernail, and push IN on the plug the key is stuck into, HOLD IT IN, and see if the key comes out. if it does, they didnt get the plug screw on the back adjusted right.. if NOT, then step 2 says...DOUBLE KEY? meaning 2 different keys work the lock? different cuts?

then the man has a pin stack too high and it WONT come out, till its taken apart and a pin height fixed.. take it back to them..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Try pushing on the center plug with your thumb (the part that turns with the key) while pulling out the key. If the key comes out easily, then the plug retainer on the back of the lock is loose.

The plug retainer is likely a round threaded screw on cap, but could also be

1 or 2 screws.
Reply to
BogusID

Heh, that worked like magic. Thank you.

Keeping in mind that I'm no locksmith, could I probably tighten the plug screw myself?

What I meant by double keyed was that the deadbolt is keyed both for the inside of the door and of course the outside. The door is half glass, to with a regular deadbolt a thief would only have to break the glass and then reach in and unlock it.

I had the deadbolts re-keyed so that the same key works on the door knob and the deadbolts.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Yep, that made the key slide out smoothly. Thanks!

Is it some kind of touchy adjustment, or will I probably be able to see it (once it is off the door) and tighten it up myself?

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Hello Tony, When you remove it from the door, on the inside you should see the back of the lock plug. (This is the round part in the middle that spins with the key)

Look at that part, there is likely a brass screw on cap with a pushable pin that holds it in place. You should be able to push the pin with a large paper clip or pen tip, and then tighten the screw cap clockwise while holding the pin down. (Don't make it too tight, or it will drag and make the key hard to turn.)

Alternative, if there do happen to be 1 or 2 small screw(s) on the back of the plug, simply use a small screwdriver to tighten them clockwise.

Good luck!

Reply to
BogusID

Home Depot doesn't employ a locksmith.

the tail piece on your outside cylinder is probably loose and letting the plug slide out of line when you are removing the key. sounds like its the key cutting, floor sweeping, stock person at Home Depot's fault..

Reply to
Key

not real hard at all. around the bottom of the tail piece (the part that goes through your latch-bolt), you should see a threaded cap that's screwed down on the plug holding the tail piece in place. it will have little notches around the edge of it and a spring loaded pin coming up through one the notches. while holding the pin down with a paper clip or something, tighten the cap (clockwise) till it bottoms out and then back off a notch or maybe two. try your key, adjust as necessary.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

He re-keyed the lock, so I suppose that makes him some kind of locksmith.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

I took it apart and saw no obvious adjustment. Only a Phillips screw to further disassemble to the lock, plus a textured wheel that would not turn.

Not wanting to make things worse, I took it back to Home Depot. He (same guy that re-keyed it) used some type of special tool that looked rather like one of those circular keys that you often see on vending machines.

Anyway, it works great now and I'm very grateful for all the good advice and information that I received in this thread.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

I would not torture the English language to that degree. The person that took it upon himself to rekey your lock did not do the job correctly.

Locksmith he is not.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

That textured wheel turns when you depress the pin that is obviously blocking it.

Reply to
Steve

Good you've stopped doing lock work and are leaving it to people more qualified than you. Bravo.

Reply to
Steve

Yeah, I thought it might work that way. On the other hand, I also thought I might make things worse if I monkeyed with it. I was headed to Home Depot anyway, so I decided the best path was to let them fix their own mistake.

Reply to
Tony Sivori