Is it possible to create a mirror sketch based on an existing sketch?

Greetings:

I would like to create a loft feature which consists of 2 guide curves. The second curve is symmetrical about the right plane of the first one. Is there a way, to create the second guide curve without needing to resketch & redimension from scratch and in such a way that when the first guide curve changed; the second one followed?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

John

Reply to
John

In the second sketch convert the entities of the first sketch mirror them as desired and then change them all to construction lines.

Corey

Reply to
CS

That is if they are in parallel planes.

If not you will either have to dimension the second sketch and Link all the dimensions.

Or

you may be able to create a surface body out of the first contour and mirror that. and convert entities.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Use a derived sketch and then use plane flipping to get the mirror image if necessary.

Reply to
P.

CS:

I try your solution with 2 scenarios:

  1. Convert the entities of the first sketch and the center line. Mirror it about the center line. Change the Convert edges to construction but leave the mirror entity as is.

  1. Same as above but change all entities to construction.

Both is working. But when I modify one dimension of the 1st sketch to make it either wider or narrower, the second one doesn't update.

I didn't try the surface body solution yet. So I don't know if this will work as I expedted.

P.:

After reading SW help file about Derived sketch, I think this could be my solution since the derived sketch will update if the first sketch is mofified. On the model tree, 1st select the Sketch, hit Ctrl + select the right plane, insert, derived sketch); however, the only option I have after creating the derived sketh are Move/copy, Rotate/Copy, and Scale/Copy. Please advise how I can flip the plane.

Reply to
John

Funny it worked here on 2004 sp4.2

The construction entities have an on edge relationship and should update to the new sketch upon rebuild and the mirrored entities are a direct mirror of the converted entities. Maybe you shouldmake sure your mirror relationships are still there. Maybe tomorrow I will send you an example.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Corey:

I am taking the liberty to send you mine and hope that you don't mind. It's a bottle.prt

If you try to change any dimension (I change the top dimension 15mm to

10mm in my case) on sketch4, you will notice that sketch5 doesn't update while I still have the symmetric relationship. If I change

If it doesn't take too much of your time, could you please take a look and let me know what I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

Reply to
John

Sorry, the e-mail bounce back.

I will wait for your response.

Reply to
John

snipped-for-privacy@garlockequip.com

Remove eroneous leave the "c" and the cap "S"

Reply to
CS

Actually, you have to remove "erooneous" (note the misspelling of the word erroneous) :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I don't keep it the same in my "Let you know what to remove note" and it is misspelled to make sure that if a harvester program is going to harvest the address it will have to be ingenious to catch it. If I were writing a harvesting program I would search for the word remove and try to figure out what to remove by the following text. So just incase I am not the only one to think that way I am guarding against the slight chance that they thought of it. "Conspiracy theorists UNITE" LOL

Corey

Reply to
CS

Hmmmm, I like it. A man with a devious enough thought process to thwart those that have similar devious thoughts, but are bent on harm. Good job. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany