sketch relation remains attached to actual sketch elements

I have a sketch consisting of a line with an arc at one end (like a "J"). I want to add another line that has one end that remains coincident with both the first two sketch elements (ie it can move along the entire length of the "J". If I add a coincident relation to the line part of the "J" the point will remain colinear with the line and if I add it to the arc of the "J" it will follow the virtual circle of the arc. In SW2004 is there a way to add a relation so that end of the second line will a. follow the contour of the "J" b. not extend past either end of the "J".

TIA,

Steven

Reply to
Steven

Yes...

*) Select your line and arc *) Go to Tools-> Spline Tools-> Fit Spline

This will take the two segments and create a single spline. You then exit that sketch, start a new sketch and add your relations there.

For some reason, there is still a limitation in which you can't add the relation in the same sketch.

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson

Can't you also do the same thing with a composite curve? What are the pros & cons of each?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

This is a very interesting suggestion! I just tried it with SP2.0 on a sketch with a line and an arc. The Composite Curve was created, however when I created a new sketch and made a relation to it, the relation only recognizes the original segmented sketch.

Or to put it another way, the sketch would only relate itself to the line or the arc, not the single entity curve.

I wonder if this is a bug? I really feel this should work.

I tried doing a Surface Extrude, and still there is that problem.

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson