Hiding cosmetic threads

Hello

I'm fairly new to using SW (I'm working with SW 2007 SP3) and I'm having a couple of problems with holes:

1) Can anyone point me towards a good step-by-step tutorial on using the Hole Wizard? I've been having a lot of problems with it - in particular, when pre-selecting a plane to create a hole, it automatically creates a hole near the location where I clicked to select that plane as soon as I open the wizard. Moving that hole can sometimes be problematic. 2) When I generate cosmetic threads (either with the Wizard or with Insert Annotations) the hole is surrounded by a circle indicating the major diameter. However this circle is visible from _everywhere_ - you can see it through the part (when the hole itself is invisible) and even in an assembly when the entire part is inside something else! Is there any way to get rid of it (leaving only the shaded threads displayed)? 3) There have been several instances where I created a hole in the side of a cylindrical face. However, when I try to place a center mark for that hole in a drawing, the program does not recognize it as a circle. I tried using Convert Entities on the edge, but though I get a spline, _that_ isn't recognized as a circle either. Is there some way to do this? (at the moment, I'm hanging the dimensions off the sketch used to originally create the holes, but I'd prefer a proper center mark - partly because using the sketch means it's the point is visible in all views, not just the on I'm currently annotating)

Thx

Reply to
Eyal Fleminger

Hi Eyal,

  1. For hole wizard tutorial, check Advanced Design Techniques in SolidWorks online tutorial. You can found it under Help>SolidWorks Tutorials.

  1. Click Tools, Options, Document Properties, Annotations Display and make sure Cosmetic threads check box is not checked. But un-checking Cosmetic threads will also turn off Shaded cosmetic threads.

  2. For you 3rd problem, when you create hole on a cylindrical surface, the circular edge turn into a spline and SW will not allow you to place a center point or dimension using that edge. For a work around, make the sketch show which is created when you make hole. Now place a center point with respect to that sketch. Hide that sketch and you can use the new center point for dimensioning.

Deepak

Reply to
Engineer

Thanks!

A question:

"3. For you 3rd problem, when you create hole on a cylindrical surface, the circular edge turn into a spline and SW will not allow you to place a center point or dimension using that edge. For a work around, make the sketch show which is created when you make hole. Now place a center point with respect to that sketch. Hide that sketch and you can use the new center point for dimensioning."

When I use the Hole Wizard, it does not seem to generate a sketch of the circle itself. Instead, it forms two sketches (plus one for the threading, if any) - one of which is composed of a point which designates the hole center location, and the second of which is a rectangle (perpendicular to the plane in which the hole is made) designating the hole depth and radius. Without a sketch of the complete circle, to what can I hang the center mark?

Reply to
Eyal Fleminger

Hi Eyal,

Show either 3D or 2D sketch in the view. Plot a point and add coincident relation between the point and 3D point or 2D line end. You may have to use 3D Drawing view to rotate the view for easily adding the relation. Refer to pics.

Deepak

Thanks!

Reply to
Engineer

Hi Deepak

This would give me a point congruent with the hole center, correct? Ho do I get from that to a circle?

I found a work-around in the meantime - if you insert a view using Annotated View, it will generate a centermark automatically.

Thanks, Eyal

Show either 3D or 2D sketch in the view. Plot a point and add coincident relation between the point and 3D point or 2D line end. You may have to use 3D Drawing view to rotate the view for easily adding the relation. Refer to pics.

Deepak

Thanks!

Reply to
Eyal Fleminger

Yea, that is a PITA, but easy way around that one point, just de-select any tool when your in the sketch mode (locations), and delete that point ;)

Reply to
tnik