cosmetic threads still hosed

SW2007, sp3.0

Before I call my var, I'd like somebody to confirm this for me. When designing molds, we often have a simple hole on the outside of the mold to recess the jiffy connect. I just put in a 1/4"npt pipe thread and asked for a cosmetic thread. SW puts it on the outside face of the plate instead of at the bottom of the recess. I selected that face before starting the hole wizard, but SW still puts the cosmetic thread in the wrong place. I cannot recall the last release where cosmetic threads worked as expected, but I think they did for a brief moment in time.

Thanks, jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

jk, Works fine here, 2007 SP3

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Interesting. I just made a test part and still saw the same problem. Sent it to my VAR and he sees it ,can recreate it and has sent it to SW. I may not have explained myself correctly in my original post, but for now am doing all my pipe taps without any cosmetic threads.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

jk, I just tried it with a test part; even with the tapped hole off-center so that the thread was hidden underneath the edge of the recessed area, the cosmetic thread appeared on the proper plane. When I make the recess much smaller than the thread, the thread disappears altogether. 2007, SP3...good luck figuring it out!

-Mark

Reply to
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for looking at it. After yours and Mike's replies, I started suspecting my part template, so I opened up a part from the sample folder. Tried this first with an extruded cut. Then placing the cosmetic thread on the bottom of that feature showed the cosmetic thread correctly.

Then I went back and created the the recess as a simple hole with the hole wizard. In this case, the cosmetic thread showed up on the wrong plane as I had been seeing.

So my template is fine, but there seems to be something going on with hole wizard holes.

Thanks again.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

I had the same problem with the hold wizard myself and after about 1 year finally got it working great. Under Tools/options/document properties/annotation display/display filter: select "cosmetic thread" and "shaded cosmetic thread".

At first this didn't work consistently until this setting was saved in the template document, (to make it stick).

It has worked very nicely every since. SW2007 sp1 to sp3.

Hope this helps,

EdT

Reply to
Ed