Seen this one?

I've seeing a quirk in SolidWorks 2005 (original release) that I don't THINK has been fixed in the 0.1 service pack and which may be causing a more severe problem than I originally thought. I don't have the service pack, because I haven't been able to afford to re-up my maintenance agreement. A client of mine, however, does have the service pack and he reports at least the quirk if not the apparent actual resultant problem (fairly worrisome problem) that I think possibly results from the quirk.

The symptom is that when an assembly has been renamed, the Mates in the Feature Trees of the components of the new assembly still reflect the name of the older assembly until the assembly file has actually been closed down and reopened. I would say ostensibly not really a big deal, except that seemingly even if one makes Mate changes and then Saves the new assembly, those Mates won't necessarily reappear if SolidWorks crashes thereafter. I've had it happen several times now. Mates that I knew I corrected (and I Saved after I corrected them) reappear as problems after the SolidWorks assembly is reopened after a crash. UNLESS I close down the assembly file, then reopen it. If I do that and I have a crash, the Mates that were corrected remain correct. I suspect it has to do with those Mate names not being properly updated when renaming the Assembly file until after closing down the file and reopening it.

Does this make sense? Sorry if not . . . I'll try to clarify better. What brought it about is resurrecting a Backup of an assembly, renaming that backup to the original assembly name (removing "Backup (1) of") and making changes to Mates and Saving. The Save didn't seem to "take" regarding Mates if SolidWorks crashes. Other changes (as regarding things like Component Patterns) were saved properly and came back up correctly.

Anybody else having the same experience? Or think maybe they are?

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

I have been seeing this since 2004.

I have learned to close SW and re-start after any time when I have saved an assembly with a new name and changed the names of referenced files. Tried to explain to my VAR, but they never got it; I just live with it.

jk

Reply to
jk

Crap. I had just about been resigned to living with it also until I found out that a crash after a Save didn't save the Mate corrections made before the Save. That is, until I realized that the two are logically connected and probably connected in reality. That's a potentially really problematic scenario. I accept workarounds, and even some workarounds on top of workarounds, but the workarounds are getting too numerous to remember. I've lost some substantial amount of time because of this. John, would you do all of us a favor and report it AGAIN, this time to SolidWorks tech support, with mention that you've reported it to your VAR in the past with no satisfaction?

Thanks, 'Sporky'

jk wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Guys,

Just wondering if you think the use of SolidWorks Explorer (for the purpose of renaming/copying) suffers from similar problems.

Generally speaking, I think SWKS Explorer is far more powerful in updating associated files than the main SolidWorks program in certain cases...

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

You may be right, and I may be better off using SW Explorer. I guess I've shyed away from doing things that way ever since my experiences during the bad old days of SW2000 when SW Explorer did NOT always find all of the Where Used instances. I should probably say "worse old days" 'cause I'm still not happy with the number of problems we're seeing with the software releases and service packs. Anyway, I never trusted SW Explorer thereafter.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

You should do whatever it takes to get SP0.1. Used to crash every hour and now didn't crashed in two days. SP0 did have some problem too exporting some files to STEP or IGES.

Marc

Reply to
conj

Well I'd certainly love to have SP0.1. But not at the cost of $1300. I'll probably re-up my subscription service at some point, but for the moment I neither have the extra cash nor do I have any desire to play that game after five years of ante-ing up and getting (IMHO) much less than my money's worth. When you're working for a company that pays for the subscription it's not so painful, but when you're a freelancer like me that impacts your bottom line pretty severely. I don't have SPRs that (to my knowledge) are fixed in SP0.1 and the problems that I do have that are keeping me from doing my work (e.g., inability to run interference checks, inability to change density on parts, and the problem of topic in this thread) have not yet been fixed (to my knowledge). And unlike some people I'm not going to attempt to get an illegal copy of the Service Pack. SolidWorks Corp has me snookered all right, but I'm not giving in . . . yet.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

up-date for Sporkman:

I applied sp0.1 over the weekend. I just had occasion to open an assembly, and rename it and some of it's parts using the file,save dialog. After doing so I checked all of the references and mates. Before, they would have pointed back to the old assembly with the old names and paths.etc. Now with the new sp, everything looks OK.

If it hadn't I was go> >

Reply to
jk

Reply to
Sporkman

Reply to
Sporkman

geez, you've blown my cover.............

I just googled myself last week and actually got some work-related stuff. My web site is parked right now with nothing on it. I'll get to that eventually.

btw, that was supposed to be a star painted on one side and a lightning bolt on the other, but they never quite read that way. Oh well.

jk

Reply to
jk

Yeh, I did come up with links to those SolidWorks and Moldworks reviews and plugs to which you contributed, but nothing that led to your own work. So -- do you actually look more like that pic in Desktop Engineering, or more like "Starman"? ;-) Personally I try to keep MY pic off the Net, and my resume pic is from almost a decade ago. Only once in a blue moon do I get a pic of myself that doesn't make me look like Dorkman (as I've been called by some who've been the targets of 'Sporkman' sarcasm). That is to say, it's hard to find a pic of me that doesn't make me look like myself.

8^)

jk wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

The only bit of `my own work' that is out there is the mold of mine that I have permitted SW to use in their advertisements and on their web site. It pops up once in awhile on the main SW web site. If it doesn't, just keep hitting refresh and it will eventually. I guess I'm too busy designing molds to actively promote myself.

jk

the pic in the magazine ads is pretty accurate, but my Dad keeps telling me I should have gotten a haircut before I let them take my picture.

Reply to
jk

That's nice to hear. I'm glad yer busy without having to work at getting there.

Nah. If you were from 'round here it would make you look like a redneck, but since yer from Californy it just makes yer look like a surfer dude. Ummm . . . a slightly aging surfer dude, maybe, but that's OK.

Reply to
Sporkman