SW File Permissions

Hi,

I've upgraded from ealier versions of SW2007 to SP4.0

Lately I've noticed SW file permissions are acting a little wonky.

I'll open a part in context of an assemly and it will tell me the file is "read-only". Yet I can make changes to dimensions, features, etc.. hit save (and am prompted that it is read only and I need to do a saveas) -- ignore it and the changes are made. Refreshing the model shows that the supposed "read-only" file is actually being written to. Changes to dimensions results in a warning "that it is read-only" and that any changes I make will be lost unless I do a saveas. Again, ignore the prompt, fill in new value and part/assembly are updated correctly.

Looking at file permissions shows they are correct so it appears to be an issue with SW thiinking the files are read only - and sending barrage of warnings. Checked options between earlier version and latest and I can't find anything different.

Has anyone experienced this as well? How did you fix it?

Len

Reply to
lmar

Probably a dumb question, but to cover the bases - is it possible that someone else has the parts in question open? If someone else is using the file, SW will not be able to get full access to it, and tells you it's read-only. On an actual read-only part, SW will let you make any changes you want during the active session but you won't be able to save without renaming the file. I don't think refreshing would be affected by this; you're changing the part as SW has it in memory, not necessarily on the disk.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark,

One man show/computer. 100% sure nobody else has the file open. I can ignore the rename dialog box after hitting save - shut down the file (without renaming), and then open up the file to see the changes had been made. ( i.e. file was actually saved and wasn't really read- only - SW just thought it was).

Len

Reply to
lmar

Len,

I ran into the same problem when I got a new computer. As best as I can recall, I was running SW07 sp4.0 on the old computer as well, but it's possible I upgraded at about the same time and hadn't noticed the problem until I spent more time with the software on the new computer.

One of my colleagues was running 4.0 before I was and hasn't seen this problem. We would sometimes have issues with ProductCenter and RW permissions, but that doesn't seem to be what is happening here.

I haven't figured out what caused it or how to fix it.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

SW has always had issues when it comes to respecting "Read Only" status. If the file isn't protected in other ways, it's fair game for SW to overwrite.

Reply to
That70sTick

What do your external reference options look like?

Is open referenced documents read only checked?

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Having used other CAD systems that successfully protect users from making unwanted changes to files, I find it shocking how poorly SWX deals with these issues. Short of using Windows file/folder permissions to protect files, there is pretty much nothing you can do to entirely safeguard data.

If you set files to "read only" in Windows, SWX has a big problem when you do an upgrade (say from 2006 to 2007) because it wants to upgrade the file, even it is just referenced by an assembly. When you come to save the assembly it wants to save this "changed" file as well, but it flags an obscure and misleading error (something about a file being referenced by another open document, preventing the save). You end up having to uncheck the "read only" attribute box to get rid of the errors.

I had a demo of PDMW a year or so ago, and after the standard demo I asked the demo jockey to do a series of actions, referencing files from the vault for read-only access etc. He was able to make a change to a "read-only" file and still check it back into the vault!!!....to which he rather shame-facedly said "errr......it's not supposed to do that". Now, hopefully that was "just" a bug, but it certainly left me with no confidence at all in that product.

SWX's attempts tp address data management remind me very much of Windows

95/98/ME and its miriad security issues. i.e. it was just never designed with those things in mind, and it will take years and a major re-write before its sorted. Just look how hard Microsoft has found it, despite the major re-writes of XP/Vista. Different set of issues, I know, but my point is you have to start on firm foundations.

John H

Reply to
John H

Do you have the "don't prompt to save read-only referenced documents" option on? it's under "External references"

Markku

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Yes it was on.

I'll turn it off and play around some more. I haven't touched the options in over a year.

Len

Reply to
lmar