Bizzarre file behavior in SW2007

Hi all:

When opening an assembly, there are two files that "cannot be located", even though I can point SW right to them. They appear suppressed in the assembly tree. If I attempt to do a replace, I get "You cannot replace a component with another of the same name". I tried opening the part file and setting the part to resolved in the assembly, but that has no effect. If I don't have the part file open, and resolve, I get the file open dialogue box set to the folder where the part is, and the part image preview visible. However, selecting "Open" causes the dialoge box to dissapear, and then reappear at the same state (this same thing happens when first opening the assembly). Selecting the file or double-clicking the file have the same effect. Selecting "Cancel" puts me right back where I started.

This is maddening! I'm sure through some renaming and replacing process, I can fix this, but I'd like to know how to prevent it. This assembly was copied from our drive to a remote location, modified, and copied back. This behavior didn't start until then. What might have caused it? We just loaded SW2007 SP5, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

I've also seen this behaviour on 2007 and not just sp5. After you've fixed the assembly for about the third time, it makes you want to smash somebodys face in - preferably the developers.

I thought it might be a "lightweight" issue (there's plenty of them!) but even opening it fully resolved, finding the file (even though it is where it is supposed to be) and then resaving doesn't seem to fix it.

No scientific evidence, but it seems that save-as or save-as-copy might give SWX the kick it needs to fix itself. It seems to have a memory of how models used to be, and periodically reverts back to this.

John H

Reply to
John H

Try opening the rogue files before opening the assembly.

Reply to
That70sTick

That70sTick:

That worked. Thanks!

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

Same thing worked here as well.

BUT surely there must be a smarter way to do it. Doesn't SolidWorks have a function where you can update the reference file location, rather than having to open each file that you have recently relocated on your network?

-- Message posted using

information at

uthmani

You can always set the file reference location to where the files are and then check "Search External References" in options.

TOP

Reply to
TOP