Copying assys in 2001

Is there a way to copy and assy without replacing or renaming the components? I know this capability was in 2000i2. It's just the dialog box looked different in 2000i2.

Thanks

Mike Singer

Reply to
Pinbuoy

Open the assy in ProE, then File/Save a Copy. Name the new assy, then click OK in the dialogue box. This allows the new assembly to reuse the existing components.

Reply to
dakeb

That's what I did and it wanted to rename 2 of the components.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Pinbuoy

In the 'Action' column if you click on where it says 'New name', does it offer a pull down menu which gives the option of 'Reuse' ? Whenever I try it it only makes me rename the top level assembly.

Reply to
dakeb

If your parts have features that were created in the context of assembly AND reference assembly features and/or other parts' features, Pro/E will not allow you to reuse these parts. You will have to rename them when doing a 'Save a Copy'. There are two workarounds: a) copy the whole assembly (assembly, parts and drawings files) into a new folder in Windows Explorer, than rename the new assembly, and b) do 'Save a Copy' the way Pro/E wants you to do it, than replace the renamed components with original ones. Both workarounds have their drawbacks.

Reply to
Alex Sh.

How about this workaround. Retrieve the original assembly model that has already been saved to disk. Choose File-Rename and click on the 'Rename in session' option. The key here is NOT to use the 'Rename in session and on disk' option. Done! This way you retain your original assembly model and you get an immediately activated copy of the original assembly with the exact same named components. This works like Save As does in Word or Excel. The newly named object immediately becomes active in your graphics window. No pitfalls that I know of yet.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.