Damaged file

SW 2008 Sp3 XP Pro 4mb
During some final filleting on a finished part the hour glass came on for a moment and SW closed.
Checked in the auto recovery folder and there was nothing.
Opening the part gives the following message (after the part shows on the screen):
SolidWorks encountered an error opening the document. Pleas contact your local Solidworks support representative for help in troubleshooting this problem.
Anyone know what the support rep would suggest (mine isn't available until Monday)? Any other tricks?
Tried saving as a Parasolid but SW quickly shuts down.
Gary

You might try making a backup copy (using the OS) to another disk & then checking that first disk for errors. If you find any then consider trying the repair option?
--
Cliff

When You say "auto recover folder", do You mean C:\Documents and Settings\XX\Local Settings\TempSWBackupDirectory, which is the deafult directory for backup. If not check for the file there.
// Krister
That's the one and it's empty.
Gary
Krister_L wrote:

Sorry to hear, might be a good idea to set it up then, >SW System Options / Backup/Recover / Backup
// Krister
That's sage advice, but SW was *supposed* to be making backups and auto-recover files. For some reason, this wasn't happening. I since reloaded SW and now the functions are working. Guess I should check this daily. Having dealt with SW and it's tricks since '95, nothing surprises me.
Gary
Krister_L wrote:

Did you do a search on the first characters of the expected file name? It might have been put someplace other than where you expected.
Environment variables.
--
Cliff

>Gary

Yes I know all about that. The default setting is that the"Save auto-recover info every xx minutes" and "Number of backup copies per document" are grayed out. You have to fill it in to activate each one of them. I always do this, but sometimes I've seen it go back to default too. Can't really say what trigger this behaviour, but for sure You will first notice when it's too late.
// Krister
win 8.1 sw 2013 sp0 ram 4gb nvidia geforce 920m
I have made some assembly, parts and parts drawing in my old Desktop. After getting my new laptop i copied my work in laptop but after getting my work in laptop.
i have done changes in my parts and after opening my drawing file i can't open that file Solidworks gives error as below:
"SolidWorks encountered an error opening the document. Please contact your local Solidworks support representative for help in troubleshooting this problem."
and please note that i have another parts that i have not made any changes in that parts they open correctly. And one more thing i need to add that the drawing file which generated error that drawing contains part and if i create a new drawing of that part than solidworks crash.
Please give me solution for this as soon as possible i m waiting for it as i m stuck with many drawings and i have to complete as soon as possible.
Nilay Gajjar