SWX 2004 file sizes

Just switched to 2004 from 2003 and it seems that this new version saves files at about 3 or 4 times the previous versions sizes. I am doing a solid model of an elliptical body with parallel cuts on elliptical and domed surfaces and these files are huge ! Any prior experience appreciated or a suggestion to cut down on the sizes ?

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

D. Short

I backed off on the image quality and saved 30% or so. eDrawing was turned off. Still huge compared to 2003 maybe by 30% also.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

"IDAssociates Inc." wrote in news:H8Swb.22151$m24.3601@fed1read02:

There are a couple of settings in 04 that might be increasing the file size, beyond what the MS shadow data does to all SW files. All of these settings are in Tools, Options.

System Options

General - Save eDrawings data in SolidWorks document Drawings - Save tessellated data for drawings with shaded and draft quality views

Doc Props

Image Quality - all settings

Of course all the typical techniques for making files smaller - suppress all features, remove configurations, save as, put a block around all features as the last feature, move all geometry off screen, resize part window as small as you can before saving, save parts from assembly window, hide all bodies or parts, turn display to hlr, run unfrag or ecosqueeze, etc.

You should only worry about file sizes when archiving, doing transfers or storing data on media of a fixed, limited size (like floppies, zip disks, USB drives or CDs, or transfers across internet or slow networks). If you are working on a file from your hard drive, using these techniques will in most cases just slow you down, because the data that you're removing has to be recreated, such as the parasolid data or the display list. 10 years ago we all had to worry about file size, but if you're storing data on your hard drive or on a fast network, it matters a lot less nowadays.

matt

Reply to
matt

I've noticed by doing a few "Save As" and rewriting the original file, the file can be reduce to fractions of the original size. This removes all configuration previews though.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Thank you everyone. I have been able to reduce this part size from 9000K to

6300K with the suggestions and then further using ZIP. My concern is sending these as email attachments as my ISP has file size maximums so I will need to use ZIP to create multiple portions.

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

IDA,

Did you try Ecosqueeze on the files? You may be able to shrink them down much further with that.

HTH,

MT

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Upgrade to SP1. You will find a new setting called "Save tessellation with part document". Disable this for each part and re-save all of your templates with this disabled so that future docs can be of smaller file size as well.

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson