Solidworks vs. Pro E File Size

Hi all, If two parts with identical geometry are modeled on ProE and SolidWorks, what are the differences in file size?

I have received a large .stp assembly that was originally made in ProE. When I try to open it in SolidWorks I pretty much run out of memory trying to converting all of the parts back to .SLDPRT and SLDASM. The supplier of the model says that my computer is equivalent to what they have used to produce the model in question and that it should handle the conversion no problemo.

I'm just looking for a little insight.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
DiscDawg

wrote for our entertainiment:

Pro/E models geometry using mathematical formulae representing vertices bounded by surfaces. Solidworks models geometry as hamsters holding sheets of cardboard. The extra memory require for SW goes towards instructing the hamsters where to stand, supplying them with food, and cleaning out their cages between modeling sessions.

Reply to
Paul

I personally absolutely hate dealing with .stp files. In my experiece they always seem to prove the most unreliable unless going from Catia V5 to SW.

My guess is that this .stp file is a fairly decent size then and SW tends to be very cumbersome handling large .stp files. I would first try and get an .iges file or maybe the] native Pro-e file ( SW can open certain native versions).

Here is some info. from the SW help file.

Importing Pro/ENGINEER Files into SolidWorks The Pro/ENGINEER translator imports Pro/ENGINEER part or assembly files as SolidWorks part or assembly documents. The attributes, features, sketches, and dimensions of the Pro/ENGINEER part are imported. If all of the features in the file are not supported, you can choose to import the file as either a solid body or a surface model. The Pro/ENGINEER translator supports import of free curves, wireframes, and surface data.

When importing an assembly, you can control how to import individual components. Sub-assemblies are supported as well.

You can import Pro/ENGINEER surface-trim and surface-extend features into SolidWorks. These features are read in from the Pro/ENGINEER file and mapped to SolidWorks.

Version Information - Versions 17 through 2001 of Pro/ENGINEER and Wildfire versions 1 and 2 are supported.

Reply to
dvanzile3
  1. How much memory is in your PC?
  2. What are your pagefile settings?
  3. Are you using the 3Gb switch?

Realize that STEP is not Pro/E, it is a third party neutral format and as such requires, in general, extra processing steps over the native format.

You don't say how large the assembly is. 100, 1,000 parts, 10,000 parts, 100,000 parts? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
TOP

I had some problems a few months back opening .IGES & STEP data generated out of Pro/E. The model had about 1100 parts. In SolidWorks

2006 my system ran out of memory with both neutral formats. (Dell M60 with 2 gigs of RAM)

My schedule shifted and I am just now getting back to the same project. We are now on SolidWorks 2007 and to my surprise it was able to open the .IGES file! I have yet to try the STEP file. If you are on SolidWorks 2006 and have access to SolidWorks 2007, you might want to give that a shot.

Best Regards,

Ricky Jordan CSWP Dynetics, Inc.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Ricky Jordan

I have 1 gig on board and a page file setting of 1536mb. I dont know the exact size of the assembly but their are 950 parts converted so far and that is when it crashes so there are more to go. In a past job with the same company, Iges files would run me out of memory, I had them send stp. files and I was able to get them converted and finish the project.

I just loaded 2007, I need to service pack it up. Then I will give that a shot.

Steve

Reply to
DiscDawg

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

In my experience with converting pro/e generated STEP files, I have needed roughly 10x the files size in available RAM. I've never successfully opened a step file bigger than ~225MB (contained 1500 parts or so). IMOP, solidworks handles this type of import very poorly, in that it attempts to open the entire thing, fully resolved, while doing the conversion work. I would think it could break that into smaller chunks, thus being able to dramatically reduce the RAM requirements. All of this is related to 2006. I haven't tried 2007 yet. I have 3GB physical RAM. You really should try to get another GB for your machine. It may make the difference. I've never had good luck with SW when it gets to the point of swapping to disk.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

Pretty meagre on memory. Just setting the 3GB switch may get you through even with 1Gb of physical ram.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
TOP

Paul, Although no one else responded or laughed at your response. And, although I use SolidWorks and for me, it does everything I need it to do (almost). And, I really enjoy working with SolidWorks.

I just have to say that this hit me smack dab in the funny bone or something, I couldn't stop laughing. I've never heard of any software package's workings refered to in such a maner. Just hilarious, Thanks & Happy New Year, Eddie

Reply to
Eddie