Converting from Solidworks to Pro/E

Ah, the age old problem. We are merging two divisoins of our company. One group uses Solidwoks and the other uses Pro/E. We have
decided to use Pro/E going forward on all new projects. But now we need to deal with the legacy data in Solidworks. Most of it can be left as Solidworks since we will keep a seat for a while, but some projects need to be converted to native Pro/E.
Does anyone have experience with any conversion software that can walk you through converting the models between different formats, with the end product being a parametric model?
I do not have my hopes up that software is an option, so what about conversion services? Do you know of any reasonably priced places that I can provide Solidworks models and drawings, and get back Pro/E data?
Thank you for your feedback, Andy
the age old problem.&nbsp; We are merging two divisoins of our<BR>company.&nbsp; One group uses Solidwoks and the other uses Pro/E.&nbsp; We have<BR>decided to use Pro/E going forward on all new projects.&nbsp; But now we<BR>need to deal with the legacy data in Solidworks.&nbsp; Most of it can be<BR>left as Solidworks since we will keep a seat for a while, but some<BR>projects need to be converted to native Pro/E.<BR><BR>Does anyone have experience with any conversion software that can walk<BR>you through converting the models between different formats, with the<BR>end product being a parametric model?<BR><BR>I do not have my hopes up that software is an option, so what about<BR>conversion services?<BR>Do you know of any reasonably priced places that I can provide<BR>Solidworks models and drawings, and get back Pro/E data?<BR><BR>Thank you for your feedback,<BR>Andy<BR></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>From my experience with translating stuff from Catia, SW, ACAD, UG and other revs/versions of Pro/e itself, I see this as a HUGE <STRONG><EM>PROBLEM</EM></STRONG>. No one seems interested in providing some universal, parametric, feature-based translator, including STEP. And we haven't been beating the software publishers enough for them to take that whole area seriously so that they'd translate their data in some "universal" format. So we play 'GO FISH' and this is the awkwardest shit possible. No features/tree preserved, dumb solids abound. (Anyone know anything about the ATB {Advanced Topology Bus ~ for Catia stuff?}) But, typically, it's all dumb solid, no parametric features. Intellegence stripped by Pro/e-Catia-SW-UG? All the above? Don't know! Major industry mystery. This is where we're at; sorry it's been no help! Maybe if you got a million dollars to make the big brains talkative (which they currently are not), you'll get some real help. Even the so-called Pro/USER&nbsp; is useless!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
message

revs/versions of Pro/e itself, I see this as a HUGE PROBLEM. No one seems interested in providing some universal, parametric, feature-based translator, including STEP. And we haven't been beating the software publishers enough for them to take that whole area seriously so that they'd translate their data in some "universal" format. So we play 'GO FISH' and this is the awkwardest shit possible. No features/tree preserved, dumb solids abound. (Anyone know anything about the ATB {Advanced Topology Bus ~ for Catia stuff?}) But, typically, it's all dumb solid, no parametric features. Intellegence stripped by Pro/e-Catia-SW-UG? All the above? Don't know! Major industry mystery. This is where we're at; sorry it's been no help! Maybe if you got a million dollars to make the big brains talkative (which they currently are not), you'll get some real help. Even the so-called Pro/USER is useless!

We have found that importing ProE in to Solidworks maintaining the feature tree works pretty well - as long as you check thoroughly, ideally against an existing drawing. However the problem really arises when you want to go the other way - SWX to ProE - you'll just get your dumb solid with no history. It appears at first sight that SWX are OK with importing ProE (and others) but ProE doesn't want you to import SWX. ....Can't think why :-)..... Cheers david
Sounds like a nice little business venture....if you can stand to work with Pro all day....lol
Ah, the age old problem.&nbsp; We are merging two divisoins of our<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; company.&nbsp; One group uses Solidwoks and the other uses Pro/E.&nbsp; We have<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; decided to use Pro/E going forward on all new projects.&nbsp; But now we<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; need to deal with the legacy data in Solidworks.&nbsp; Most of it can be<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; left as Solidworks since we will keep a seat for a while, but some<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; projects need to be converted to native Pro/E.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Does anyone have experience with any conversion software that can walk<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; you through converting the models between different formats, with the<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; end product being a parametric model?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I do not have my hopes up that software is an option, so what about<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; conversion services?<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Do you know of any reasonably priced places that I can provide<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Solidworks models and drawings, and get back Pro/E data?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thank you for your feedback,<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Andy<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; From my experience with translating stuff from Catia, SW, ACAD, UG and other revs/versions of Pro/e itself, I see this as a HUGE PROBLEM. No one seems interested in providing some universal, parametric, feature-based translator, including STEP. And we haven't been beating the software publishers enough for them to take that whole area seriously so that they'd translate their data in some "universal" format. So we play 'GO FISH' and this is the awkwardest shit possible. No features/tree preserved, dumb solids abound. (Anyone know anything about the ATB {Advanced Topology Bus ~ for Catia stuff?}) But, typically, it's all dumb solid, no parametric features. Intellegence stripped by Pro/e-Catia-SW-UG? All the above? Don't know! Major industry mystery. This is where we're at; sorry it's been no help! Maybe if you got a million dollars to make the big brains talkative (which they currently are not), you'll get some real help. Even the so-called Pro/USER&nbsp; is useless!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; David Janes<BR><BR>We have found that importing ProE in to Solidworks maintaining the<BR>feature tree works pretty well - as long as you check thoroughly,<BR>ideally against an existing drawing.<BR>However the problem really arises when you want to go the other way -<BR>SWX to ProE - you'll just get your dumb solid with no history.<BR>It appears at first sight that SWX are OK with importing ProE (and<BR>others) but ProE doesn't want you to import SWX.<BR>....Can't think why :-).....<BR>Cheers<BR>david<BR></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>"Interoperability", in PTC-speak, is licensing the Granite modeling kernel. Maybe SW Corp has done this (the only way I know of to parse Pro/e features), but PTC hasn't reciprocated by lincensing Parasolid (or ACIS, the Dessault/Spatial/Catia kernel) to make the translation of Solidworks or Catia data parametric features. Maybe they think they're being smart; I think they're block heads. The enemy is not other solid modellers, but the AutoDesk hegemony of 2D, electronic, 19th century, paper oriented (print rooms, file clerks, board drafters, 00 pencils, velum &amp; India ink), Da Vinci-pretender worshippers of the pretty line drawing. And the home of unfortunate misunderstandings (Oh, we thought all those holes started on the near side, not the far side! How often do you hear this kind of excuse with Pro/e models/drawings!?!). Solid modeling is the way; down with the flat earthers; let's get the 3ders communicating better (with each other and with the rest of the world.) And let's get the 3ders tro make a plan to route, finally and decisively, the 2d world. Let it go the way of Medievalism ~ outthought, outmaneuvered, outlived. 2D is doomed, let's give it a push over the edge into oblivion. No regrets, no sentimental longings for the 'good old days'. Let's build it the Museaum it deserves... and be done with it. For this campaign, the solid modellers need to put their heads together, plan strategy, dedicate resources and join efforts. And they need to REALLY figure out what's needed to shut up those who STILL say "This would be so much simpler with AutoCAD" which will necessarily be addressed with easier functionality (Google 'Sketchup' perhaps? With a lot more modifiability! I mean, who doesn't go "oh shit" when they see the rectangle pulled away from the sketch plane and turn into an extruded solid and pulled INTO the extruded solid and&nbsp;become a cut. So simple, so obvious, why MAKE it difficult!?! Just to keep your programmers from breaking a sweat!?! SCREW the programmers! MAKE them sweat! Just PAY them <EM><STRONG>GOBS</STRONG></EM> of money for doing so!!! BUT GET US A PROGRAM THAT RIVALS ACAD IN EASE OF USE AND FUNCTIONALITY!!! <STRONG><EM>WE'LL DO THE REST!!!!</EM></STRONG>) SMASH THE ACAD/2D HEGEMONY. We're each trying to do it separately. Maybe we should try to do it together. (Form our own hegemonistic, 3D monopoly? And DON'T tell the U.S.F.T.C.)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thank you all for your comments, I too am frustrated by this age old interoperability issue. But what I am looking for is some practical advice or suggestions as to how you might have dealt with this problem. Vendors that you have had good luck with, or a conversion service that worked well for you.
Thanx, Andy
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The most practical approach is to never rely on 3d translation that goes beyond IGES or STEP. Any solution, no matter what cost, that claims to have full parametric translation between 2 3D systems is not going to last (they don't keep up with revisions, etc) and not work with the consistency and comprehensiveness you need to save costs.
Does it stink; yep sure does.
Dave
On May 8, 8:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Andy,
Our company provides Pro/E conversions services at very affordable prices. We are an American owned company that provides quality CAD services in a timely manner. For a price quote, please email me with the details of your needs. Looking forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Casey ProE Solutions
wrote:<BR>&gt; Ah, the age old problem.&nbsp; We are merging two divisoins of our<BR>&gt; company.&nbsp; One group uses Solidwoks and the other uses Pro/E.&nbsp; We have<BR>&gt; decided to use Pro/E going forward on all new projects.&nbsp; But now we<BR>&gt; need to deal with the legacy data in Solidworks.&nbsp; Most of it can be<BR>&gt; left as Solidworks since we will keep a seat for a while, but some<BR>&gt; projects need to be converted to native Pro/E.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Does anyone have experience with any conversion software that can walk<BR>&gt; you through converting the models between different formats, with the<BR>&gt; end product being a parametric model?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I do not have my hopes up that software is an option, so what about<BR>&gt; conversion services?<BR>&gt; Do you know of any reasonably priced places that I can provide<BR>&gt; Solidworks models and drawings, and get back Pro/E data?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thank you for your feedback,<BR>&gt; Andy<BR><BR>Andy,<BR><BR>Our company provides Pro/E conversions services at very affordable<BR>prices.<BR>We are an American owned company that provides quality CAD services<BR>in a timely manner.&nbsp; For a price quote, please email me with the<BR>details<BR>of your needs.&nbsp; Looking forward to talking with you.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Casey<BR>ProE Solutions<BR></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Casey, as Andy's email address adn private 'reply to' was attached to his post, you could have easily replied in private. You chose to make it public, I'll assume, to thumb your nose at this non-commercial, technical, professional interest group and its functions. I'll also note that, while you're busy hustling clients, your post contributed nothing to the discussion of data conversions. Is it possible that you might make some friends here who'd be receptive to broader help if you showed that you were capable of helping at all, in any way, shape or form? So far, we don't know what you know or what you can do because you refuse, from the heights of your purist, pettibourgeois ivory tower, to participate or to contribute. I vote that we ban you from participating in this group in any other way than humbly lurking/contributing. Figure out what this whole thing is about and see if you couldn't make a small contribution. Ought to be no skin off the nose of a superuser like you, Casey. Or are you just another opportunist slug who's wormed his way into our sanctum sanctorum. Begone, Worm, be a Mensch!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=